Nova Britannia Meeting

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Nova Britannia Meeting

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:07 pm

>>>> A Roman Meeting In July <<<<

I was honored to be invited to a combination business meeting and meeting relating to Roman Literature and Art. The Meeting was scheduled for July 31st at 1:00 P.M. at the West Farms Mall in Sbarro and was arranged by Governor Paterculus. My wife and I arrived promptly at 1:00 P.M. and met Governor Paterculus there. Shortly afterward we were joined by Lady Nina Barclay. Lady Barclay is new to the Nova Britannia Provincia, and after Governor Paterculus started the meeting, Lady Barclay told us about herself and her background. Following this introduction, the governor asked Marcus Audens to review to all members of the meeting some of the ideas and materials provided as suggestion in an earlier packet to the governor. First, Marcus went through some drawings of his that he had sent to the governor, and then he handed out a set of five drawings that he brought as his gifts to all who attended the meeting (Ruin, Arch of Hadrian; Arch of Septimus Severus, Roman Scout tower; Antioch & Mt. Silipius; Roman Bridge Over the Ofanto River; Roman Fortress Gateway at South Shields). Finally, Marcus submitted three proposed certificates for Nova Roma Citizenship in Nova Britannia, and certificates for the position of a magistrate in the same Provincia. The members of the meeting approved the proposal and the proposal will now be forwarded to all members of the province for a vote.

Following the business discussion of the drawings and certificate proposal, the governor introduced the two books that he had brought with him. The first book, Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations by Martin Goodman, was about the two major capitol cities and the governor’s description and evaluation of this book follows: "This book was meant as a comparison both of the two cities themselves, and of the ancient cultures which they represented, with an eye to whether the eventual conflict between them was inevitable. Another issue explored is how the interaction of these cultures effected early Christianity, which seemed a tangental at first glance, but makes sense given how many readers will be interested in the topic. Based on the first few chapters; it seems to be worthwhile reading, particularly to give background on economic, political, and social interactions to complement reading only the specific events chronicled by the subject of the second book."

The second book, Flavius Josephus: Eyewitness to Rome's First-Century Conquest of Judea by Mireille Hadas-Lebel (trans. Richard Miller), was about a famous author during Roman times. In almost every story about the Roman World this author’s views and comments are found. Governor Paterculus description and evaluation of this book follows: "This book was a fairly straightforward biography of Flavius Josephus, drawing mainly upon his own writings. The author emphasized that that Josephus was unusual among ancient authors for having written a memoir, and was personally involved in the events of his most celebrated work, The Jewish War, making it possible to give a more detailed account of his life than for many figures of antiquity. Even with these sources, however, Hadas-Lebel had too fill in some of the gaps with reasonable explanation - for instance, in determining the battles Josephus may have been present for after being taken prisoner by the Romans. Overall, I would say that this book makes a good introduction for someone about to read the works of Josephus directly, as it provides background information about the author from a more objective perspective than his own Life and places some of his accounts in context."

My thanks to Governor Paterculus for setting up this meeting, and I look forward to more of his ideas and meetings in the future.

Respectfully Submitted;

Marcus Audens

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium