Preservation or Dissolution of Our Republic?

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Re: Preservation or Dissolution of Our Republic?

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am

Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:
Another issue is that I think the RR can be more than just a CDR group. I think it behoves the CDR and the RR as a whole to make thriving places for Latinist, reenactor hobbists, those interested philosophy, or just ancient Roman culture in general. The RR would be much richer and the CDR and all other groups more viberant with independent but related groups being part of the RR.

SALVE!

Interesting ideas. I look at the Academia Minervalis site @ http://academiaminervalis.org and I see glimpses of what you are talking about. A few strong and well supported collegia could work. But we still run up against the problem of who runs these groups. Unless you believe in the idea that, if you build it, they will come...

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Senator
Senator

Postby setting_the_table » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 am

Ive just joined...

...my children know the story of Romulus....

They know their history...

what is this talk of Dissolution......

I am a father of children that know Rome....so I say get back on your feet...TO THE GATES.....
setting_the_table

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:29 am

Salvete Omnes,

The discussion on dissolution was more of offering a way out if that was the public's wanting. A way to shut down the Roman Republic amicably and cleanly. But, due to the outpouring of support of the organization and it's goals, we on the CC decided to keep it running. Now we have the daunting task ahead of us on how to significantly improve it. A difficult goal, but anything worth doing is never easy, as they say.

Camillus, it is good to see you back. I agree with you, the main issue will be finding people to run these groups after they are restructured. It is a risk, as anything is bound to be, but one I hope will pay off. By focusing activity on the collegia, we are thus focusing on the citizens themselves. They will be our primary focus, not useless politics and all the drama that comes attached. This will allow us to work on having reliable and consistent people in these groups that will lead, hopefully through a council of sorts rather than relying on a singular individual.

These are my thoughts on the matter, of course. Time will tell how the final product works out to be. I welcome any and all input from the individuals of our wonderful community.

Bonam Fortunam!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:28 pm

SALVETE!

Censor Curio, I’m glad that dissolution was rejected. Our Roman ancestors had many ups and downs of many magnitudes greater than the non-sense that has afflicted us.

Now that we are back on track I think we need to ask — What do the people want from the Roman Republic?

I want an online and offline community. I want a place to meet with people who share a love for living as modern Romans. I want to have activities, comradery, resources and projects to help build and enjoy the benefits of such efforts. I want to feel more Roman because of contributing here and being part of one of many who put forward such effort.

Friends and Romans, what do you want from the Roman Republic that is deliverable today?

VALETE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Senator
Senator

Postby Sextus Decius Mus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Ha! Good to see you duckies alive and kicking. Especially Camillus you old dog!
Sextus Decius Mus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Sextus Decius Mus wrote:Ha! Good to see you duckies alive and kicking. Especially Camillus you old dog!

SALVE!

Mus, I was wondering when I would hear your barmy squeaking!

Consider this a stiff slap on the back you mangy rodent. Haha

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Senator
Senator

Postby setting_the_table » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 pm

I`ll welcome myself to the board....then

Is there a section on this board for childrens books that are Roman related....

I`m not sure if you guys are familiar with Roman history...the first thing they did was start families and become fathers...To be Roman is to live like Romulus did!!!!...Rome is named after him...in case you were not aware....

nothing else...matters more then that...raising a family and telling children the deeds of their ancestors...

where can I find that on here?....

and by the way,....have a nice day...
setting_the_table

Re: Preservation, not Dissolution, of Our Republic!

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Salvete Cives

As reported in Comitia Cuiata, http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11, by L. Aurelius Curio:
With majority votes of 3 ANTIQVO, the motion to dissolve does not pass.

Fortuna Vitam Rei Publicae nostrae donet Novam Gloriosissimam!

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 am

Salvete, omnes - Here are my thoughts, and apologies if I'm simply re-hashing the obvious.

The great challenge to any republic of any kind is to engage and unify all its variously-disposed members (or factions, or interests). The great challenge to any on-line sodality is to have an enduring center of interest that keeps members active.

In my experience, it's a further challenge for any online sodality to have an effective magistracy — to avoid becoming over-burdened by microscopic regulation but still have level-headed people and a stable system of judgment in place when (inevitably) some crisis occurs.

I myself am not a cultor; I am not a re-enactor; I can hardly be called a Latinist; I am simply someone with a general interest in history, Rome, philosophy, and so on. My participation is limited - it does not trump my responsibilities to self, family, livelihood. Rome remains for me a symbol of Virtue on the one hand, and of Universality on the other, and that is my interest in the RR.

In Brutus's personal thoughts (above) he says:
I think it behooves the CDR and the RR as a whole to make thriving places for Latinist, reenactor hobbyists, those interested in philosophy, or just in ancient Roman culture in general. The RR would be much richer and the CDR and all other groups more vibrant with independent but related groups being part of the RR.

Will the RR be stronger for having a large and varied membership - some people keen and active and devoted; others (like myself) concerned but more peripheral; and then still others who simply hold a nominal membership and never participate? Or should the RR be streamlined into a tighter sodality of cultores and re-enactors, while jettisoning the inactive?

If the wide-membership approach is chosen, then all those classes of membership will have a place. But personally, I don't see why the cultores and Religio could not still be the center of things even at that, so long as the Declaration is taken seriously, and no religious bile comes to the fore. (Tolerance and not-taking-things-personally is critical.) If the other approach is chosen, a tighter sodality that is unequivocally Religious, then the membership will be of a different order. People with a more trifling interest in Rome will properly go elsewhere.

I would argue for a wide membership, but with some clear responsibilities for each citizen - required levels of activity in the colleges. I would argue that we keep it simple, in terms of our internal legal setup. I would also argue for cherishing level-headed people, tried and trustworthy individuals, who will non-politically share control of the RR's forum, oversee legislation and debate, and share control of the essential accounting and bulletin-board facilities (we saw what happened when Brutus disappeared!).

Valete.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:36 am

Appius Claudius Tuscus wrote:Salvete, omnes - Here are my thoughts, and apologies if I'm simply re-hashing the obvious.

The great challenge to any republic of any kind is to engage and unify all its variously-disposed members (or factions, or interests). The great challenge to any on-line sodality is to have an enduring center of interest that keeps members active.

In my experience, it's a further challenge for any online sodality to have an effective magistracy — to avoid becoming over-burdened by discount coupons regulation but still have level-headed people and a stable system of judgment in place when (inevitably) some crisis occurs.

I myself am not a cultor; I am not a re-enactor; I can hardly be called a Latinist; I am simply someone with a general interest in history, Rome, philosophy, and so on. My participation is limited - it does not trump my responsibilities to self, family, livelihood. Rome remains for me a symbol of Virtue on the one hand, and of Universality on the other, and that is my interest in the RR.

In Brutus's personal thoughts (above) he says:
I think it behooves the CDR and the RR as a whole to make thriving places for Latinist, reenactor hobbyists, those interested in philosophy, or just in ancient Roman culture in general. The RR would be much richer and the CDR and all other groups more vibrant with independent but related groups being part of the RR.

Will the RR be stronger for having a large and varied membership - some people keen and active and devoted; others (like myself) concerned but more peripheral; and then still others who exist hold a nominal membership and never participate? Or should the RR be streamlined into a tighter sodality of cultores and re-enactors, while jettisoning the inactive?

If the wide-membership approach is chosen, then all those classes of membership will have a place. But personally, I don't see why the cultores and Religio could not still be the center of things even at that, so long as the Declaration is taken seriously, and no religious bile comes to the fore. (Tolerance and not-taking-things-personally is critical.) If the other approach is chosen, a tighter sodality that is unequivocally Religious, then the membership will be of a different order. People with a more trifling interest in Rome will properly go elsewhere.

I would argue for a wide membership, but with some clear responsibilities for each citizen - required levels of activity in the colleges. I would argue that we keep it simple, in terms of our internal legal setup. I would also argue for cherishing level-headed people, tried and trustworthy individuals, who will non-politically share control of the RR's forum, oversee legislation and debate, and share control of the essential accounting and bulletin-board facilities (we saw what happened when Brutus disappeared!).

Valete.

Sal.

When I imagine a future for the RR, my dream is one like this...

VISION DIAGRAM.png
VISION DIAGRAM.png (97.33 KiB) Viewed 131 times

The heart of the RR - its purpose is to support the collegium which in turn support private member initiatives and projects in a societas. Each collegium is an entity that is distinct and can stand alone (own website, only governance, own purpose etc.)

In these collegia various facets of our community find their home.

Together these collegia join together to support larger scale community projects.

The CC, magistrates and senate only exist in this model to make sure these "workflows" stay open and operational. In turn for participation, the RR also oversees a useful and representative way of giving members credit - eg. denarii etc. The denarii can be used to provide honour, and more substantial voting power to the active citizen +/- be used for a discount coupons on physical goods.

We have largely failed to launch a vibrant collegia and denarii system. We need to rectify this, and I will do my best to support such a change. What we have going for us is a core group of commited members, an engaged corporate board (comitia curiata) and useful community leadership (senate).
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

PreviousNext