Veneralia Ceremony Performed on April 1st

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Veneralia Ceremony Performed on April 1st

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:40 am

Salvete Quirites!

April 1st was the Kalends and Veneralia, a day in honor of Venus Verticordia and Fortuna Virilis. I apologize for not posting this during the actual day, my schedule would not permit it. Nevertheless, I would like to share the ceremony that took place, and performed on behalf of the community after my regular Kalends observances.

In antiquity IVeneralia occurred on April 1st. Venus Verticordia or the Changer of Hearts was particularly observed on this day. Women also honoured Fortuna Virilis on this day. On this day the statue of Fortuna Virilis, was washed, its jewels restored and flowers offered. After this women went to the men's baths wearing myrtle wreaths and offered incense to Fortuna Virilis in order that the goddess, any physical blemishes exposed, may concealed from men. A 'spring-cleaning' of statues, is not unparalleled in the classical world. It is believed that this day was dedicated particularly to women, both chaste and otherwise, who sought divine support for their sexual lives.

Yesterday Venus and Fortuna were offered myrtle leaves and a libum cake made in accordance to Cato's recipe in De Agricultura. Their images were then gently cleaned and honoured.

veneralia.png
veneralia.png (170.2 KiB) Viewed 864 times

PURIFICATIO - PURIFICATION

(head covered: capite velato)

(wash hands in water)

Allow this unspoiled and humble water to rinse away my impurities. I perform this act in preparation to come before you, the mighty known and unknown divinities, I desire to be pure and to be pleasing. May this simple water, the lifeblood of all mortal things, remove any contamination from my body. May it symbolically cleanse my heart and mind and remind me of the virtues as I come before you. From this act I hope that my presence is pleasing and non-offensive to you. Allow me to be worthy to offer you my praise and invoke your generous benevolence. May you make it so.

(dry hands)

PRAEFATIO - PREFACE

Mother Vesta, and all the Gods which it is pious to summon, join together to attend to this humble ceremony. Grant that my work may rise with Your auspices. Fill my intentions with warmth and light. Remind me of the noble virtues. May you, mother Vesta, favour me. To you my voice lifts in praise as by this rite it is allowed that I approach you. Blessed mater from Troy aid us in all our daily tasks, favour us and keep us and our families from harm.

(light oil lamp)
(light incense coals)

Oh, Vesta, for this petition accept this offering of wine with which I now make a libation, and upon your will make it so.

(offer wine)

Oh, Ianus, sower of the years. Ianus beginning of the shining and most beautiful world, with You begins our prayers. Biformed Ianus, source of years gliding by in silence, who alone among the immortal celestials sees his own back, come, allow us to attend as your guests. Look kindly upon this festival day of Veneralia. May your benevolence in opening this doorway and aiding our task at hand facilitate communication with yourself, Mater Venus, Fortuna and all the Gods and Goddesses. Iunus who secures delightful pastimes of Earth and peace on Earth and the seas. Attend and bless the People of Rome. With a nod open Your gleaming gates onto peaceful precincts. May you favour our work and for this petition may you accept this offering of wine with which I now make a libation. Upon your will make it so.

(offer wine)

Oh blessed Venus, celestial queen and changer of hearts, come to where joyous prayers are made to You! May Your favour be amongst my family and community. Nurturing Venus with venerating prayers I come before you on your Veneralia! If you are willing, be propitious on this day and smile upon me, my family, and the greater Roman community. Provide us warmth, love, and passion. Draw us towards our friends, wives and lovers. Provide our community with happiness, charm, beauty and your broad favour. To this end, I pray that You may be honoured by this Veneralia day and this offering of myrtle which I place and burn before you. Kind Venus, Mother and friend to the Roman people, upon your will, make it so.

(Offer myrtle and burn on incense burner)

Fortuna, holder of the horn of plenty, blind guide of the prospering cycles! Offer your aide in guiding our fates to prosperous objectives on this festival day held in your honor. Mother of fate, May Your favour be amongst my family and communality. If you are willing, be auspicious on this day and smile upon me and the greater Roman community. Provide the Res Publica with prosperity and bountiful growth. To this end, I pray that You may be honoured by this festival day dedicated to You and that this offering of myrtle which I place and burn before you. Fortuna, upon your will, make it so.

(Offer myrtle and burn on incense burner)

IMMOLATIO - OFFERING

Oh Venus, indulgent changer of hearts! On this Veneralia we pray and seek your support. You children, the Roman people beech you, support our Res Publica. May you provide us passion and love for our Roman community. Allow us to share this passion with others and to be accepted with kindness, friendship and love in return. Provide us and our families joy and happiness through your favour. Mater Venus, passionate Queen, on this Veneralia, if it pleases You, accept this humble petition and prayer and offering of libum which I place before you. Upon your will, make it so.

(Offer libum)

Oh Venus, indulgent changer of hearts! On this Veneralia I come before you on behalf of my community and that of the Res Publica. I recognize my impure state, and that of the households of my community. We desire to be pure and pleasing. We pray for your favour and support. On this Veneralia day we clean your image with pure spring water, to symbolically cleanse you from our mortal improprieties and to honor you, our Mater and celestial Queen.

(Gently wash and dry statue of Venus)

Oh Fortuna, holder of the rudder of fate! On this festival day held in your honour we pray and seek your support. The Roman people beech you to support our Res Publica. Keep us from unseen misfortune, guide us towards a path of prosperity! Allow chance to be an aide in our mission to restore cultural Roman Restorationism. Bless us and our families. Keep our travels and affairs safe from misfortune. Fortuna, on this day dedicated to you, and if it pleases you, accept this humble petition and prayer and this offering of libum which I place before you. Upon your will, make it so.

(Offer libum)

Bountiful Fortuna, on this day dedicated to you, I come before you on behalf of my community and that of the Res Publica. I recognize the impure state myself, and that of the households of my community. We desire to be pure and pleasing. We pray for your favour and support. Fortuna, the preserver of chance and restoration, on this day we clean your image with pure spring water, to symbolically cleanse you from our mortal improprieties and to honor you.

(Gently wash and dry statue of Fortuna)

CONCLUSIO - CONCLUSION

(repeated separately for each deity which has been observed)

Blessed (Ianus / Iupiter / Iuno / Mars / Minerva / Ceres / Venus / Fortuna / Lares / Genius / Vesta), many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of wine which I now pour as a libation. If it pleases you accept this offering as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer wine)

(blow out lamp)

(wash hands)

Valete!

P. Iunius Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos