Today is the Tubilustrium

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Today is the Tubilustrium

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Salvete!

Today is the Tubilustrium.

This was originally a ceremony purifying the Trumpets used in military and religious rites. In antiquity the trumpets used in the sacred rites are purified in the Hall of the Shoemakers. The Tubilustrium as a festival of Mars. Ovid attributes it also to Minerva. The Salian priests, were also involved. Scholars believe the ceremony was designed to help make the army fit for war.

In the modern era we can approach this day as one to ask Mars and Minerva for support in the year ahead with the challenges we face. Today Romanitas is not spread by the sword but through the mind and by cultural works. May Mars and Minerva prepare us for challenges, provide a thirst for knowledge help us to live our lives in accordance with the best of Roman culture and the virtues. In doing this may we set an example and allow others to find the Roman way.

For the Tubilustrium the following ceremony was performed.

march23c.jpg
march23c.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 899 times

(light incense coals)

(wash hands in water)

Allow this unspoiled and humble water to rinse away my impurities. I perform this act in preparation to come before you, the mighty known and unknown divinities, I desire to be pure and to be pleasing and worthy. May this simple water, the lifeblood of all mortal things, remove any contamination from my body. May it symbolically cleanse my heart and mind and remind me of the virtues as I come before you. From this act I hope that my presence is pleasing and non-offensive to you. Allow me to be worthy to offer you my praise and invoke your generous benevolence. May you make it so.

(dry hands)

Mother Vesta, and all the Gods which it is pious to summon, join together to attend to this humble ceremony. Grant that my work may rise with Your auspices. Fill my intentions with warmth and light. Remind me of the noble virtues. May you, mother Vesta, favour me. To you my voice lifts in praise as by this rite it is allowed that I may approach you. Blessed mater from Troy aid us in all our daily tasks, favour us and keep us and our families from harm.

(light oil lamp)

Oh, Vesta, for this petition accept this offering of wine, and upon your will make it so.

(offer wine)

Oh, Ianus, sower of the years. Ianus beginning of the shining and most beautiful world, with You begins our prayers. Biformed Ianus, source of years gliding by in silence, who alone among the immortal celestials sees his own back, come, allow us to attend as your guests. Look kindly upon this festival day of Tubilustrium. May your benevolence in opening this doorway and aiding our task at hand facilitate communication with yourself, Pater Mars, Mater Minerva and all the Gods and Goddesses. Iunus who secures delightful pastimes of Earth and peace on Earth and the seas. Attend and bless the People of Rome. With a nod open Your gleaming gates onto peaceful precincts. May your favour our work and for this petition may you accept this offering of wine. Upon your will make it so.

(offer wine)

Pater Mars, with venerating prayers I come before you on your Tubilustrium! If you are willing, be propitious to me, my community, family and household. Victorious Mars, on Your day I ask that you symbolically purify our Res Publica, our families, and our households. Unite the Res Publica and guide the Comitia Centuriata. Oh Mars, order that You may prevent, repel, and avert, seen and unseen decay, disease, deprivation, desolation, calamities and all such harm. May You also keep the Roman community and their families and friends safe, and provide good health and vigor to these who hold you dear. To this end, I pray that You may be honoured and strengthend by this Tubilustrium day and this offering of incense. Oh Mars, may You accordingly make us successful and victorious. Upon your will, make it so.

(offer frankincense)

Oh Pater Mars, passionate unifier of the Roman people. Your divine power extends over us and over our adversaries. I humbly come before you, on this Tubilustrium, I pray and do you reverence, I crave for Your grace and favour. Bless the Roman people and the Res publica with prosperity in victory towards its goals. Give those standing as candidates in the Comitia Centuriata strength and passion towards the task at hand. On this Tubilustrium, I have spoken this prayer and so do I now on behalf of our entire community of Romans, and all those who serve in the military, in hostile lands, or those under threat of harm. Pater Mars, in offering this wine, I pray good prayers in order that, pleased by this offering, You may be favourable. Towards this humble petition and prayer accept this libation of wine if it pleases you. Upon your will, make it so.

(offer wine)

Oh Minerva, come to my aid with Your counsel. Witness the existence of my works and the works of the Res Publica. On this Tubilustrium, I pray, friend and companion to all wisdom, and toils towards the arts and culture. Unite the Res Publica and guide the Comitia Centuriata towards wise decisions. On this Tubilustrium, I have spoken this prayer and so do I now on behalf of our entire community of Romans, and all those who serve in the military, and require aide in the arts and sciences. Ever wise Minerva, on Your day I ask that you symbolically purify our Res Publica, our families, and our households. To this end, I pray that You may be honoured and strengthend by this Tubilustrium day and this offering of incense. Oh Mater Minerva, may You accordingly make us successful and victorious, and an example of Roman culture within the world. Upon your will, make it so.

(offer frankincense)

Proud, warlike Goddess, great honor of wisdom! I humbly come before you, on this Tubilustrium, I pray and do you reverence, I crave for Your grace and favour. Fill my mind and the minds of the Roman people with peace and a unending thirst for knowledge. Inspire us towards great cultural works. On this Tubilustrium, I have spoken this prayer and so do I now on behalf of our entire community of Romans. Oh, Minerva, in offering this wine, I pray good prayers in order that, pleased by this offering, You may be favourable. Towards this humble petition and prayer accept this libation of wine if it pleases you. Upon your will, make it so.

(offer wine)

Blessed Ianus, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of wine as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer wine)

Blessed Mars, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of wine as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer wine)

Blessed Minerva, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of wine as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer wine)

Blessed Vesta, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of wine as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer wine)

(blow out lamp)
(wash hands)

Di vos incolumes custodiant,

P. Iunius Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos