Ceremony on behalf of Res Publica for Equirria

This message board is dedicated to the ancient Roman Religion, the Cultus Deorum Romanorum. Here both historical practices and the living modern tradition is to be celebrated and discussed. The members of the Collegium Pontiificum and Collegium Augurum host this board as moderators and are happy to answer questions.

Ceremony on behalf of Res Publica for Equirria

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Ave!

Today is the second Equirria, the first is earlier in the year. This is a festival held in honor of Mars and the founding of Rome. In antiquity it was one of the events marking the start of the campaigning season.

May we keep those within the military in mind today, and may we mark today as the start of our own campaign in refounding the Res Publica. Instead of leaving the city for battle as in antiquity, let us head out into the world and gather together everyone that loves Rome and living the Roman Way! Let us lead by example and show the best our community has to offer.

Below is a transcript and photo of the ceremony conducted on behalf of the Res Publica for Equirria. Myrrh, frankincense, and grain was offered.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (129.67 KiB) Viewed 886 times

(with head covered I approach the altar)

(light incense coals)

(wash hands in water)

Allow this unspoiled and humble water to rinse away my impurities. I perform this act in preparation to come before you, the mighty known and unknown divinities, I desire to be pure and to be pleasing and worthy. May this simple water, the lifeblood of all mortal things, remove any contamination from my body. May it symbolically cleanse my heart and mind and remind me of the virtues as I come before you. From this act I hope that my presence is pleasing and non-offensive to you. Allow me to be worthy to offer you my praise and invoke your generous benevolence. May you make it so.

(dry hands)

Oh mother Vesta, fill our hearts with warmth and with your favour. As you unify the Roman family, and the extended family of Roman people from around the world around the hearth. Fill our intentions with warmth and light. Remind us of the noble virtues. May you, mother Vesta, grant us your aid in all our daily tasks, favour us and keep us and our families from harm.

(light oil lamp)

Oh, Vesta, for this petition accept this offering of frankincense, and upon your will make it so.

(offer frankincense)

Oh, Ianus, two-headed opener of all things. Great father of all beginnings and endings, the holder of all the keys to all the gateways, I pray and beseech you, aid the refounded Roman Repubic. Look kindly upon us this festival day of Equirria. May your benevolence in opening this doorway and aiding our task at hand facilitate communication with yourself, Pater Mars and all the Gods and Goddesses. Iunus may your favour our work and offer this community kind aid in all our daily affairs. For this petition may you accept this offering of frankincense. Upon your will make it so.

(offer frankincense)

Mars Gradivus, we come before you with happy hearts on this Equirria, dedicated to you! Victorious Mars, guardian and defender of the Roman people we beseech you! On this day we ask you to protect our young Res Publica. Oh, Mars, Victorious Pater, inspire us to passionate works towards building a flourishing community. As you helped found the city long ago, help us found a new national community. Look over our community and call all who seek peace, prosperity and productive collaboration. Oh, Mars, hear our humble petition, grant us your favour and protection. Towards this humble request accept this offering of myrrh. Upon your will, make it so.

(offer myrrh)

Mighty Mars, on this Equirria dedicated to your name, keep us and our families healthy and from harm. Provide us peace and steadfast resolution to defend our Res Publica, community, and families from those who wish ill intent. Oh, Pater Mars for this petition may you accept this additional offering of grain. Upon your will make it so.

(offer grain)

Blessed Ianus, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have cause unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of Frankincense as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer frankincense)

Blessed Mars, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have cause unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of Frankincense as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer frankincense)

Blessed Vesta, many generations have passed since our ancestors praised you and made traditional offerings in your honor. If through my ignorance of the proper ways this appeal and offering have cause unbeknownst offense, please accept this humble offering of Frankincense as an expression of my regret and good intentions towards you.

(offer frankincense)

(blow out lamp)
(wash hands)

Di vos incolumes custodiant,

P. Iunius Brutus
Publius Iunius Brutus
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos