Frequent traveler

A collegium for citizens interested in travel within the ancient world and beyond. Join this collegium here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... natorum/67

Moderators: Gaius Valerius Scipio, Octavius Aurelius Augustus

Frequent traveler

Postby Decimus Claudius Aquilinus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Salvete,

I am wondering if there are others that have been to a large amount of Roman related sites and would like to "compare notes" and give some advice? So far I have been to over 160 notable places that contain Roman sites or museums (mainly in western/central Europe but also in North America, Egypt, and some parts of the middle east) but I definitely have gaps to fill like the UK (outside of London), most of Eastern Europe, Greece (besides Crete) and most of France.

Valete,
DCA
Decimus Claudius Aquilinus

Re: Frequent traveler

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:03 pm

Salve Aquiline,

I would be happy to! (:
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Frequent traveler - Roman Britain

Postby Decimus Claudius Aquilinus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Salve et Salvete,

I am planning a 2 week tour of England and Scotland in August or September. Since Ill be travelling with a buddy who isnt Roman inclined, Id like to know what are the top 10 or so sites that are reasonably accessible by public transportation (plus along Hadrian's Wall) outside of London. As there are plenty of museums with Roman objects in their collection, its hard to judge which are the best ones on a limited time. Here are the places that Ive come acrossed that look interesting (at least on-line). Are there any places below that could be missed or replaced with other ones?

Fishbourne Roman Palace
Ashmolean museum in Oxford
Vindolanda
National Roman Legion Museum, Caerleon
Chesters Roman Fort
Tullie Museum in Carlisle
Roman Bath in Bath
Canterbury Roman Museum
Roman Paintes House in Dover
Yorkshire Museum
Carvoran Fort and Roman Army Museum

Vale et Valete,
DCA

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Salve,

I love London and I go as often as I can! I would absolutely recommend the British Museum in London - it is a must-see. Bath is also quite easy to get to from London and worth the trip. Hadrian's wall is hard to get to and I would recommend picking up a book from Rick Steve's in hard copy or on Kindle before you go. I hope you have a wonderful time and if you have any more questions, I am here to help.

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Salvete!

Please allow me to encourage you all to visit Emerita Augusta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerita_Augusta in Hispania. I live in Norba Caesarina (at 60 kms) but the roman heritage in Emerita Augusta is amazing being the theatre and the temples the main reasons of why is so popular! In case you decide to give a visit, I will be delighted to show you the city, tell you about its stories and legends and of course, enjoy the big amount of historical architecture you find in open spaces.

Also, is a very small town and in general, everything is cheaper than any other historical places in Spain.

Valete,

N. Octavia Saturnina.
Octavia Aurelia Fulva
Bonae Deae / Triviae Sacerdos

Postby Decimus Claudius Aquilinus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Salve Saturnia,

I visited Emerita Augusta 6 years ago and had an incredible time there! Out of all the places I've been to in Spain (and there are many), I always saw that Merida is my favorite place although many Spanish people I mention that to laugh at that. In the town there are so many sites in addition to an excellent museum. The only problem is that when I visited, some of the outdoor mosaics were under restauration and not visible. Last year I was tempted to visit again while going through Andalucia, but decided to go back on a different trip.

Vale,
DCA

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Decimus Claudius Aquilinus wrote:Salve Saturnia,

I visited Emerita Augusta 6 years ago and had an incredible time there! Out of all the places I've been to in Spain (and there are many), I always saw that Merida is my favorite place although many Spanish people I mention that to laugh at that. In the town there are so many sites in addition to an excellent museum. The only problem is that when I visited, some of the outdoor mosaics were under restauration and not visible. Last year I was tempted to visit again while going through Andalucia, but decided to go back on a different trip.

Vale,
DCA

Salve!!

It fills me with joy to know you visited us already!! If you ever decide to go for another try I will be really happy to join you!

I'm going to visit Rome in 10 days and after, I want to return to Volubilis in Morocco. Traveling is pleasure for the mind and medicine for the soul!

Vale,

N. Octavia Saturnina
Octavia Aurelia Fulva

Postby Octavius Iunius Caesar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm

If you came back to Hispania I highly recommend to visit Carranque roman villa, it´s beautiful n.n
Octavius Iunius Caesar

Return to Collegium Peregrinatorum