AURELIAN ASSEMBLY SESSION I

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

AURELIAN ASSEMBLY SESSION I

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:52 am

Lucius Aurelius Curio Omnibus Aurelibus Sal.

I come before you to propose the bylaws for our Gentile Assembly. This assembly would be called the Aurelian Assembly, and would be a collection of all of us across this vast world who are united in a common factor. This factor is that we are the Aurelii, a name that bears much history and gravity. This is a name that carried weight even until the Roman Empire's end. We started off and ended as a Plebeian family, coming over in third century BCE with the Sabines. This is our history, but not all that we are, all that we can be. I propose that we start by uniting to form the Aurelian Assembly, to create a great name for ourselves within the Roman Republic. Not to raise ourselves above anyone else, but to give all that we can to the restoration of Romanitas in our modern day.

Proposed Bylaws:

I. PURPOSE:
a. This societas is created to act as a Gentile Assembly for Gens Aurelia, to promote camaraderie amongst its members, and to create a sense of unity between all inside the gens. It shall create a structure to represent Gens Aurelia in the Roman Republic and provide religious rites for the blessing of its members, provided the general Aurelian community agrees.
II. LEADERSHIP
a. The Gentile Assembly, from here on referred to as the Aurelian Assembly, is to be led by the Princeps Aureliorum and the Decurio Aureliorum.
b. The Princeps Aureliorum is a lifelong position that must be voted in by majority ruling of the Assembly. The Princeps Aureliorum is to act as the head of the Aurelian Assembly and represent the interests of Gens Aurelia in the Republic. Any potential Princeps Aureliorum must be a Pater/Mater familias. They are also to act as Sacerdos Solis for Gens Aurelia, or appoint a chosen representative to conduct rites on their behalf. The Princeps is also to head all Aurelian Ludi, bestow all Aurelian honors, resolve all disputes between members of the Aurelian Assembly, and chair the meetings of the Aurelian Assembly. The Princeps Aureliorum will also promote the traditions of the Aurelii, as well as the Mos Maiorum and virtues of the Republic. It is also the duty of the Princeps to greet all new members of gens Aurelia and assign them a willing mentor from within the gens to ease their transition into the Republic.
c. The Decurio Aureliorum is a yearly elected position. Any potential Decurio Aureliorum must be a Pater/Mater familias. The Decurio is to act as the assistant to the Princeps, and act as Sacerdos Lunae or appoint a chosen representative to conduct rites on their behalf. The Decurio is also to maintain the records of Gens Aurelia, put together an annual expenditure report, and analyze all adoption requests for Gens Aurelia. The Decurio Aureliorum will also promote the traditions of the Aurelii, as well as the Mos Maiorum and virtues of the Republic. The Decurio Aureliorum will also assist with greeting new members of gens Aurelia as needed by request from the Princeps Aureliorum.
d. The Princeps Aureliorum has the ability to veto any decision made by the Decurio Aureliorum at his discretion.
e. At the discretion of the Princeps Aureliorum or Decurio Aureliorum, a Scriba Aureliorum may be appointed to act as assistant to both of these officers. The Scriba does not have to be a Pater/Mater familias to be selected. The Scriba Aureliorum, if selected, has the duty to be Sacerdos Aurorae, or appoint a chosen representative to conduct rites on his/her behalf.
III. REMOVAL OF OFFICERS
a. Officers may be removed by a vote of the Aurelian Assembly that is 2/3 in favor of removal.
b. If the Princeps Aureliorum or Decurio Aureliorum is removed from the Aurelian Assembly a replacement officer is to be elected within 15 days, extendable to 30 if one of the officers or majority of members agree to this. The extension can be put forth by any member of the Aurelian Assembly. If the Princeps Aureliorum is removed, the Decurio Aureliorum is to assume control of the Aurelian Assembly until a new Princeps is selected. If both officers are removed, the Pater/Mater familias with the lowest citizenship ID number shall take precedence in chairing the Aurelian Assembly until a new Princeps Aureliorum is selected.
c. Any officer may resign by writing to the Aurelian Assembly.
IV. CONFLICTS
a. Conflicts are to be resolved privately between the members of the Aurelian Assembly.
b. If a satisfactory conclusion is not reachable, the conflicting parties have the option of bringing their dispute to the Princeps Aureliorum. By doing so, the parties agree that the Princeps decision will be binding.
V. DENARII TRANSFERS
a. Any denarii transfers must be approved by both Princeps Aureliorum and Decurio Aureliorum. All records of these transactions must be maintained by the Decurio Aureliorum.
b. In the event of the Princeps Aureliorum being unavailable, the Decurio Aureliorum has the option to summon the Aurelian Assembly to approve by majority vote a transfer.
c. Any non-denarii funds obtained by the Aurelian Assembly will be immediately donated to the Roman Republic cooperation. Any denarii obtained from this donation will immediately be put into the gens treasury.
V. AMENDING THE BYLAWS
a. Amendments of the bylaws of the Aurelian Assembly require a majority vote of the Assembly.
VI. AURELIAN ASSEMBLY MEETINGS
a. The Princeps Aureliorum, the Decurio Aureliorum, or any Pater/Mater familias may call a meeting of the Aurelian Assembly by announcing such meeting publically at least 3 days in advance. The individual calling the meeting is responsible notifying each voting member (Pater/Mater familias) of the upcoming meeting. This can be done through the forum, email, telephone or in person.
b. The Decurio Aureliorum is to maintain all minutes of the meetings of the Aurelian Assembly, or appoint a Scriba to do so in his/her stead.
c. Meetings may be public or private upon the discretion of the person calling the meeting
d. Meetings may occur online, by telephone, or in person
e. All meetings of the Aurelian Assembly are to start with a ceremony to the patron deities of gens Aurelia.
f. Any Pater/Mater familias that does not cast a vote, is treated as ABSTINEO for the purpose of tallying majority.
VII. PATRON DEITIES
a. The Patron deities of the Societas are: (1)Sol, (2) Luna, (3) Aurora
IX. DECLARATIONS AND TRADITIONS
a. The Declarations are made by the gens Aurelia as a whole. They act as a statement to members, institutions, groups and ideas outside of their gens. Declarations require a majority vote from the Aurelian Assembly and can be proposed by any Pater/Mater familias of the Aurelian Assembly.
b. The customs are made by gens Aurelia as a whole. These can be any procedure that is not defined as obligatory but instead is any non-binding procedure that is commonly followed by gens Aurelia and the Aurelian Assembly. These can be written down and fixed by a majority vote of the voting members of the Aurelian Assembly, but do not have to be. They instead can be any procedure, value, or ideal that is followed or acknowledged out of precedence by the Aurelii as a group.
X. ADOPTION PROCEDURES
a. For any member of the gens Aurelia to initiate adoption procedures the prospective adoptee must be at least 14 years younger than the adopter. They must also have the blessing of their Patres and Matres familias.
b. Any adoption must be approved by majority vote of the Aurelian Assembly. The adoption is then finalized immediately upon approval.
c. Any exception to these rules must be approved by the Princeps and Decurio Aureliorum. In the absence of either, it is assumed that they are in agreement with the other officer.
XI. DISSOLUTION OF THE SOCIETAS
a. Dissolution of the Aurelian Assembly requires unanimous support of the voting members.
b. Upon dissolution, all of the denarii in the treasury is to be distributed back to the Patres/Matres familias equally.

Valete!
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Re: AURELIAN ASSEMBLY SESSION I

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:39 pm

I am in agreeance with these Bylaws
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Salvete Omnes!

The deliberation phase of the Aurelian Assembly is now closed. The voting phase is now scheduled to begin as of the moment of this message. All members of gens Aurelia are now called to vote on these bylaws.

Please state your vote by responding to this message with one of the following.

UTI ROGAS (In Favor Of)
ANTIQUO (Opposed To)
ABSTINEO (Abstain)

Valete!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 pm

UTI ROGAS
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:45 pm

VTI ROGAS
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I have been pleased to read the bylaws of the Aurelian Assembly and I agree with them. It sounds like a group of people (citizens) with whom I would like to be associated. So, I appeal to Master Curio to show me where to go to join. I have already done a search and read all of the comments and bylaws, but as usual what I specifically need eludes me.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:12 am

Marcus Minucius Audens wrote:I have been pleased to read the bylaws of the Aurelian Assembly and I agree with them. It sounds like a group of people (citizens) with whom I would like to be associated. So, I appeal to Master Curio to show me where to go to join. I have already done a search and read all of the comments and bylaws, but as usual what I specifically need eludes me.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens

Salve M. Audens amice!

For you to be a part of the Aurelian Assembly you must first be an Aureliu, a person of Gens Aurelia. As of now you are a Minucius (someone of Gens Minucia). To become an Aurelius you must file to change your name to Marcus Aurelius Audens. To do so will make you part of the Aurelian Gens. To do so you must ask that the Censores change your name. So you'd have to contact Brutus.

I am deeply honored that you are interested in giving prestige to our Gens by adding your name to it!

Vale,
Gaius Aurelius Victor
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:48 am

Salvete Omnes!

I would like to thank everyone who responded to this event, even those incapable of participating due to gens restrictions. That being said, the bylaws of the Aurelian Assembly pass unanimously with 2 of the Pater Familias responding to them, and the rest being counted as abstineo based upon the bylaws themselves. Very shortly we shall move into the election of the Princeps Aureliorum, who shall serve a life term unless removed from office, and the Decurio Aureliorum who shall serve a term of a year.

This session of the Aurelian Assembly is now closed.

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur