A gold solidus of the Eastern Roman Empire

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

A gold solidus of the Eastern Roman Empire

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 am

I have been asked to write articles for the Collegium Militarium about artifacts in my collection which I am very happy to do, so make sure to head over there to see piece from my collection of Ancient Artifacts and coins. This is not military related so I wanted to show some of our citizens and "whet" their appetites for Roman artifacts and coins by showing you a gold solidus from the Byzantine Empire. The Western Roman Empire fell in 476 A.D. with Romulus Augustus being put out of power, but the Eastern Roman Empire still flourished with the capital being Constantinople, in what is modern day Turkey. It become the Byzantine Empire but it still is debated that the Eastern Roman Empire lived on now as the Byzantine Empire. The citizens of the Byzantine Empire still often referred to themselves as Romans.

The coin is a gold solidus from Maurice Tiberius, minted between 13 August 582 A.D. and 22 November 602 A.D.
Attachments
76243q00.jpg
76243q00.jpg (141.07 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia

Re: A gold solidus of the Eastern Roman Empire

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Tue May 31, 2016 6:46 am

Salve Severe!

Out of curiosity, what would such a coin be worth today on the collectors market? I know very little about the collection of such items.

vale.

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Re: A gold solidus of the Eastern Roman Empire

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:06 am

Salve!

Byzantine is the most affordable gold, this coin is not hard to find and goes from $300-$500 depending on condition and such.

On the other hand gold coins from the Roman Republic are extremely expensive and thousands of dollars. The last Emperor of the Western Roman Empire, Romulus Augustus, had a gold coin go for $18,000 8 years ago about.

Lucius Curtius Philo wrote:Salve Severe!

Out of curiosity, what would such a coin be worth today on the collectors market? I know very little about the collection of such items.

vale.

Philo
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus

Return to Main Forum