Hello and thanks for taking me in

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Hello and thanks for taking me in

Postby Gaius Florius Aetius » Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 am

Ok, I think a polite greeting is required when someone is allowed to join this fascinating company of people. :)

So, I thought to introduce myself. I am Gaius Florius Aetius from Berlin, Germania Superior. I was born 1971 CE in Swabia, Germania Inferior (so I rose up, haha), lived at the scenic Swabian Alps as a kid in a wonderful rural area just a stone throw from the Roman Limes, btw.

I have read and studied philosophers since I was about 14 or 15, coming from a very politically active family, I read newspaper and follow political topics since was a teen. So when I studied Social Science and History (making Magister Artium degrees in each), it was just a natural development for me. I must admit my main foci of philosophy were Chinese (Confucius!) and modern Western (Nietzsche), I have a bit neglected the Greek ones. Never got really along with them, no clue why. ^^ To this day I greatly value the Confucian ideals of family as core of society, humanitarism and education.

I became an Asatru Pagan (later became Priest for some time) with 15 and a Thelemite around the same time, ascended in the Order of the Golden Dawn, but about 10 years ago, I felt burned out, and stopped practicing anything. Only about 2 years ago I learned of the Cultus Deorum. I never thought about it, and tbh I always kinda lumped it with Hellenistic religion. I must be blunt: I never could take that capricious version of the Gods the Greeks tell about serious. But then I learned the Romans had a very dignified view on their Gods and on religion, and a rather pragmatic one, which I like. Having Roman Republic as one of my major topics in the University, it was always fascinating me, so when I heard about this group, I was of course hooked.

In the past among the Asatru (and my Wicca friends) I got a bit burned from joining groups. So much personal hassle, so for a long time I wasn't ready to join groups anymore at all. But, here I am more than willing to try it again, heh. I kinda don't want to be so isolated anymore. I am not entirely sure what I am expecting here, or what is expected of me. But forming bonds is always a worthwhile endeavor.

Hm, what else? I am a self trained artist, drawing paintings for 18 years or so. I play modestly German Zither. I have written a few books (fiction and non-fiction), have cartography and gaming as hobbies, I hate cooking and I love flowers. Not sure if relevant, but I am gay dude. Just thinking I add that.

As the oldest man now in my family (since my Dad passed away last August) I chose Mars as the Patron of my family and myself. I have "personal history" with Apollo and I am a devotee of Sol Invictus. Having been an Asatru Priest (including holding a few marriages, one child naming and two funerals) I have some experience in that, and found doing that attractive. Though I am not sure if this Roman Republic has any form of Priests or what the requirements are, I am basically interested in some day when you know me well enough to possibly aspire to that, because working as a Priest has always been something that felt fulfilling to me, serving both Gods and men alike.

Other than that, ask me anything. ^^

Vale,

G.F. Aetius
(aka Elikal Ialborcales)
Advice is judged by results, not by intentions.

- Cicero
Gaius Florius Aetius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Re: Hello and thanks for taking me in

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Fri May 27, 2016 10:11 am

K. Cispius Laevus sal.

From one new citizen to another - Welcome!

I'm from Winchester, Britannia, born and raised in the area. I studied economics and history. I fell in love with Roman history during these studies. But I enjoyed Roman history for a long time. I remember as a child visiting the Roman sites, and I always felt a particular draw. I have dabbled in the Cultus Deorum for the last 15 years. During this time I was an occasional practitioner of Asatru. Despite this, I always felt a closer connection with the Roman Gods. In the last two years, my life has been turned upside down with family tragedies. As hard as this has been, it drew me towards the Roman Gods and my ancestors. Now I am a much more earnest adherent. I believe the assistance of the Gods has been helpful towards overcoming many recent obstacles in my life.

Aetius, I hope we can become friends and colleagues! No more isolation! :)
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Salvete Cives!

As Praetor of the Roman Republic I'd like to welcome you on behalf of the Republic ^^ I sincerely hope you like it here and that you can pursue your social, cultural and religious interests here with ease! If you have any question you may ask any of us magistrates and we'll answer (or try to find out the answer for you). If anyone of you want to be a Sacerdos there are currently applications you may do. For now, the Comitia Curiata are responsible for dealing with these, but later on it shall be dealt by the Collegium Pontificum and its Pontifices.

Valete!
C. Atius Victor
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat May 28, 2016 6:21 am

Salvete!

I welcome you as well, along with our praetor.

I do hope you join our philosophy collegium! A new perspective is always welcome! I look forward to getting to know all our new citizens better.
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Main Forum