Roman Jokes

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Roman Jokes

Postby Paulla Antonia Bucco » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Salvete!

So, as a follower of Roman history, I've come across a lot of ancient Roman-themed jokes and stories over the course of my life, and I thought I'd share a few here to brighten someone's day. Please feel free to add your own funny Roman themed things.

So a Roman general walks into a bar. He holds up two fingers, and says to the bartender: "I would like five beers."

- Paulla Antonia Bucco
Paulla Antonia Bucco

Re: Roman Jokes

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:20 pm

I love Roman jokes!

One of my favorites is the Caesar and Brutus one - I used to tell this one all the time at open mic night...
So Caesar asks Brutus to go get chocolates (pretend they had chocolates at their time) from Belgium. He understands that this is a long way away so he allows Brutus to eat *one* chocolate from the box. Brutus goes, returning months later with the chocolates, and he hands the box to Caesar. Caesar opens the box and immediately slams it shut, screaming for Brutus to be arrested. When Brutus asked why, Caesar replied "Ate two, Brute?"
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 am

Again in Latin:
Hic Romanus cum eius cohorticula in tabernam venit
et se duobus digitis erigentibus "Io! Pihalitus" inquit ad
Cauponem "da mihi quinque cervisias!"
V ;)
vale,
Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:18 am

The Greek slave of Tiberius brings his master's tunic to the tailors for repair. The proprietor thinks he recognizes the guy and says "Euripides?" The customer says "Yeah, Eumenides?"
vale
Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucia Hostilia Scaura » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 am

Avete!

Sadly, I do not have a joke. But I do have an excellent podcast on Roman humour from Mary Beard and the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/on-joking ... oplay=true

Hostilia
Lucia Hostilia Scaura
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 am

Publius Sextius Laevus wrote:The Greek slave of Tiberius brings his master's tunic to the tailors for repair. The proprietor thinks he recognizes the guy and says "Euripides?" The customer says "Yeah, Eumenides?"
vale
Laevus

ROFLMAO!!! That is SO BAD that it's hilarious!!! All of these are absolutely outstanding!
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS
lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT com

Awarded the Corona Civica in L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos.
Upon order of the senate for excellence of service to the senate and people of Rome in founding the Republic

Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:12 am

A Roman walks into a bar and orders a martinus. "You mean a martini?" The bartender asked. The Roman retorted back with, "If I wanted a double I would've ordered that!"

(Tacky, I know). :P
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Okay, some of us are kinda "slow"...So, I relate not a Roman Joke, but a recent Roman Prank.

Our illustrious Praetor urbanis, Victor "Breccae dicaces" (Mr. Smarty Pants) sent me a preview copy of the Annals before he releases them on the Kalends of May...for review. I start reading them, and realize that the only corrections needed were where he had my name written...Lucius Vitellius Triarius Calvus. I informed him that I had no Calvus in my name...He chuckled and said, "I know that."

Triarius Calvus = "Triarius the Bald"

For those of you that might have received a copy of these Annals, you got the ***UNOFFICIAL*** copy.

A "shining" example of Roman Humor. Thanks Victor...old buddy, old pal...vengeance is mine! I'll get you back!

Muwahahahahahaha!

(With an evil laugh, Triarius buffs his head, spotlights Victor by reflection in the sun, and departs the forum to develop secret plans to raid the PU offices and exact his revenge...)
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS

Upon order of the senate for excellence of service to the senate and people of Rome in founding the Republic

Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:19 pm

:lol: I await the comeback!

It was mainly because you self-entitled yourself the Bald in a comment once and I wanted to make a homage to that xD Glad it amused you! That was the intention :lol:
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Q: How was the Roman Empire cut in half?

A: With a pair of Caesars!

(3 drum beats and symbol crash...)
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS

Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Next

Return to Main Forum