Salvete new citizens!

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Re: Salvete new citizens!

Postby Tiberius Licinius Varro » Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:Brutus Cen. sal.

A warm welcome to the citizens approved today! Please join me in greeting,

Lucius Flavius Augustus of Britannia
Octavius Publicius Caesar of Nova Britannia
Prima Flavia Iulla of Australia
Quintus Octavius Brutus of Gallia Mississippia
Quintus Pontius Agrippa of Nova Eboracum
Faustus Iulius Caesar of Nova Britannia
Lucia Cornelia Helena of California Ulterior
Lucius Valerius Lupus of Australia
Marcus Antonius Matho of Virginia
Octavia Livia Camilla of Pacifica
Prima Iulia Seneca of Polonia
Tiberius Licinius Varro of Britannia

Current Population of the Res Publica: 350

New citizens and friends, please tell us about your interests! Also, it is normal at this point to have many questions. Please ask your questions here, many citizens will be happy to assist you! You may also review the New Citizen Guide here: http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wi ... tizen.html

NOTICE TO APPLICANTS FOR CITIZENSHIP:

We are currently working through a backlog of applications. All applications submitted up to MARCH 15, 2017 are approved. Applications submitted after this date will be approved in the weeks ahead. Thank you for your patience.

Salvete!

I am thrilled to be a citizen of this republic and look forward to becoming involved in the community.

Tiberius Licinius Varro
Britannia
City of Eboracum
Tiberius Licinius Varro

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Salve,

Varro nice to meet you here, welcome home!

Vale!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Severus Cen. sal.

Gaius Carvilius Acutus of Germania Inferior
Gaius Iulius Severus of Germania Inferior
Gaius Maevius Agricola of Italia
Octavius Thorius Nero of Pacifica
Publius Plinius Cincinnatus of Italia
Vibia Anicia Cincinnata of Italia
Vopisca Alliena Aemiliana of Italia

Current Population of the Res Publica: 443

New citizens and friends, please tell us about your interests! Also, it is normal at this point to have many questions. Please ask your questions here, many citizens will be happy to assist you! You may also review the New Citizen Guide here: http://romanrepublic.org/bibliotheca/wi ... tizen.html

NOTICE:

The prior backlog of applications has been processed. All applications received as of May 17 have been processed. If you applied before May 17 and did not hear a response please contact the Censores. Thank you for your patience.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Severus Cen. sal.

Gnaeus Anicius Esquilinus - no province assigned (Syria)
Statius Axius Axilla of Italia

Current Population of the Res Publica: 445

NOTICE:

The prior backlog of applications has been processed. All applications received as of May 20 have been processed. If you applied before May 20 and did not hear a response please contact the Censores. Thank you for your patience.
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sun May 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Severus Cen. sal.

Gaius Ligurius Vetus of talia
Gaius Marcius Caesar of Britannia
Gnaeus Vettulenus Salassus of talia
Lucius Lollius Scrofa of Britannia
Marcus Titius Caninus of Italia
Marcus Tullius Avitus of Italia
Numerius Acerronius Caesar of Nova Gallia
Septima Magia Apollonia of Nova Gallia
Septimus Acutius Agrippa of Germania Inferior
Sextus Eggius Libo of Britannia
Tullus Trebatius Rufus of Germania Inferior
Vibius Quinctius Helenus of Italia

Current Population of the Res Publica: 457

NOTICE:

The prior backlog of applications has been processed. All applications received as of May 21 have been processed. If you applied before May 21 and did not hear a response please contact the Censores. Thank you for your patience.
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Severus Cen. sal.

Decimus Fullonius Tricostus of Britannia
Titus Livius Bellienus of Italia
Gaius Ligurius Vetus of Italia

Current Population of the Res Publica: 460

NOTICE:

The prior backlog of applications has been processed. All applications received as of May 24 have been processed. If you applied before May 24 and did not hear a response please contact the Censores. Thank you for your patience.
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Quintus Aurelius Vulscus » Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Salve,
I am Quintus Aurelia Vulscus, or will be upon adoption (?)
I am new to the Res Publica but fairly knowledgeable about ancient rome. It has always been a passion of mine. While the Greek mythos is what initially sparked my interest, along with its Roman "counterpart, I began to read what I could of the Roman Empire. I've always felt that if I could live in any time in history it would be Ancient Rome.
Seeing as how my province, Texia, is without governorship, I have applied to be Governor of Texia. I believe that my experience in my role with the Klingon Assault Group will help me to grow my province.

If you are in Texia please contact me so we can chat.

Also I am on discord under my klingon name you can find me @telpeH.

I look forward to serving the Res Publica in any manner I can.

Strength and Honor
Quintus Aurelia Vulscus
Quintus Aurelius Vulscus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Tue May 30, 2017 10:42 pm

L. Horatia Adamas Latinista Q. Aurelio Volsco omnibusque sal.

Welcome to this res publica Romana! Forgive me, but being a Latin teacher and Latin speaker, I feel compelled to amend some elements of your name. Your praenomen, Quintus, is fine, but unless you have been transgendered (in which case your praenomen would have to be 'Quinta'), but your nomen, or gens-name, is Aurelius, not Aurelia (and if this is intended as a post-adoption name, it would be very different; you would be Quintus Victorius Aurelianus, although I do not find 'Victorius' as a nomen--or anything else. It simply is not listed in either of my Latin unabridged dictionaries, so a legitimate gens would have to be chosen. Nomina cannot be invented. 'Vitorius' I find as meaning 'wicker work'). In Latin, adjectives must agree in gender with the nouns they modify, and since 'gens,' 'clan,' is feminine gender, the phrase 'gens Aurelia' ('gens Tullia,' 'gens Horatia,' 'gens Vergilia,' etc., etc.) uses a feminine form of the adjective as the modifier must agree in form with the feminine noun 'gens.' Thus 'Aurelia' is feminine gender--but this adjective must be altered and switched to the masculine gender when used as a nomen by males. Probably you are not feminine gender, so must write your nomen as 'Aurelius.' Regarding your cognomen, I find the spelling 'Volscus,' 'Volscian,' not 'Vulscus,' although there is a contemptuous diminutive of 'Volscus' listed, 'Vulsculus,' 'little Volscian.'

You mentioned adoption; if you were to be adopted, you would have a cognomen marking that fact, one ending in -ianus, and derived from the name of the original gens. If you were adopted into the gens Julia, you would be Quintus Julius Aurelianus…and the person adopting you should be old enough to be your biological parent, say 18 years older.

BTW, Roman usage employs the praenomina only within the family and the circle of close friends; generally the cognomen is used is somewhat formal situations, and the full name, with the praenomen abbreviated, in those which are still more formal. No Roman would have dared to address Caesar as 'Gaïus' or Cicero as 'Marcus' unless s/he happened to be a close friend or family member. For that matter, Cicero addresses his son as 'mi Cicero,' ('my Cicero') not 'Marce.' Only about a dozen and a half praenomina were used in classical antiquity: Aulus, Appius, Decimus, Gaïus, Gnaeus, Kaeso, Lucius, Manius, Mamercus, Marcus, Numerius, Publius, Servius, Sextus, Spurius, Titus, Tiberius. In modern Roman-based organizations, women also have praenomina; the feminine forms of all of the above (except Kaeso) are used. Women also used praenomina in antiquity; there is an entire book on Roman women's praenomina [Mika Kajava, Roman Female Praenomina, 1994, as well Olli Salomies, Die Römischen Vornamen. On nomina and cognomina there is Heikki Solin, and Olli Salomies, Repertorium nominum gentilium et cognominum Latinorum, inter alia]. Most of the work on nomenclature is done by Finns who write in German, but (as above) there are some items in Latin and some in English.

I know of some Romanophiles in Texas, but they belong to a different Roman-based organization. There are at least a couple of such groups there.

I would wait to assume any magistracy if I were you; one must spend some time to see how things work. For that reason, some other groups require a six month membership before running for office or even holding a scribaship. The reality is that work is involved, and one must see just what is required before one signs on.

Vale, et valete.
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Salve Horatia amica,

I believe he did not mean that he would be adopted by someone into Gens Aurelia, but that he will be changing gens from Gens Vitoria to Gens Aurelia. He filed a request to do so to the Censores.

Vale bene,
Philo
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Quintus Aurelius Vulscus » Wed May 31, 2017 1:41 am

Salve,

Thats exactly what I meant. In the same way I have several "adopted" families in my life.

Also, Horatia, that was a long explanation that really didn't help me much. I understand you are a Latin speaker/teacher, Latin is not one of the languages I speak at the moment. So something a little more concise is going to be needed. Also, when choosing my Roman name I followed a guide on this site, so either I mispelled it which is entirely possible, or the site has some misinformation.
Again, I'm not familiar with the way Latin names work they don't seem to work the same way most other cultures do following a; given first, given middle and family, and various differences in that respect. So rather than confuse myself further should you have a recommendation I am all ears.
Quintus Aurelius Vulscus

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum