Inspiring Activity

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Re: Inspiring Activity

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Salve all!

I can't really judge the lack of community here myself as I have been very absent of late. Deplorably so to borrow a turn of phrase. I am hoping to be more active this week and the weeks and months to follow. I agree that we should be more active, if we don't actually make an effort than all the years of hard work will be for nothing. How would everyone feel about talking over skype once a week and discuss what precisely we should focus on as the weeks go by. Something each one of us could work on in the different subsections of the forums and how to improve the World wide Roman community.

I feel like for some, joining the Roman Republic is more fun and games. Than true commitment. We are a living and breathing community, albeit over the internet. We should act like it.

Vale Bene
C Valerius Scipio (recently returned)
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Postby Quintus Vergilius Crassus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

This whole topic is vividly demonstrated that many in this community consider the Romam Republic as a virtual organization. Only for a virtual organization is the key value of the number of messages on its forum and the number of users online. Instead of complaining about low activity online, you'd better take up Roman affairs in real life. Does low turnout prevent you from attracting new people, preventing you from carrying the light of Roman culture in real life, preventing you from sending religious rituals? Take the example from Sarmatia, while you complain about the low turnout, we calmly continue to work. The one who wants to do real business - is engaged in real business, and does not complain about low online.
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Aulus Iulius Caesar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 am

We are as much an online community as we are an offline community. The fact that we have a forum, we vote on every matter on the forum, we start events and gather members from the forum states this. The Roman Republic wouldn't exist without it's virtual platform. The things done on the website are just as important as real life activities. If we let the website die then we lose a lot of members. Not everyone has the time or money to do things in real life. So if you do, good for you, but not all of us do. So if you wish to do things in person then go ahead. I choose to do both, as I know there are people less fortunate. So, if you don't wish to contribute to the online activity then don't. You judge me, yet you have never spoken to me, never even tried to. I do plenty in real life to further the causes of the Republic and I always will.
Avlvs Ivlivs Caesar
Aulus Iulius Caesar
Augur
Augur
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Paullus Aemilius Gallus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm

OK, activities in the real world are important and interactivity is the base of the human being. We all need to talk, to live, etc. with other people... But in our case, we need this forum because it’s not just another virtual platform for dreamer and people who feel better behind a computer.

This „virtual“ forum is like the antic one: this is the place where all citizens meet each other and talk and practice politic, business, religion, etc.
This „virtual“ forum is like Rom in the roman world. This is where eveything is discussed, decided, voted, etc. This is the heart of our Republic, of our community.
Our Republic needs a strong foundation to be able to grow and this forum is the base of it.

The Great Sarmatia, the pearl of the Republic, without this virtual forum is just a reenacting club (a club amongst many in the world).

Caesar, I‘ve read your first message a few minutes after you posted it and I always postponed my answer. Sorry for that. I‘m with you.
Paullus Aemilius Gallus
Plebeian Aedile
Plebeian Aedile

Postby Gaius Octavius Flavus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 pm

salve all,

first of all i know i'm not the most active member.
the most important thing i joint here was Roman Religion to learn more of it and practice it and meet people with the same interests
that happend :) but lost my interest in the forum its to big to read everything and English is not my first language(its dutch).

I think people losse their intrest because there are to much topics (28 pages only on main forum) in my opinion.
Mostly old Important or less important i don't know but maybe a little cleanup a fresh start ?

we are a community from spread over the whole world maybe a idea to make a discord, skype etc. group so people from same country or place
can chat with people not far away so they can plan things together or help each other.
or make a separate forum for it but it wil get messy in short time in my opinion.

maybe a newsletter with every week the most important things what happend in the senate, important religious (festivals, rites, etc.) we need to think bigger
people must have a purpose to come back to the site its something i mis
give them a option to subscribe for it then this community will fill itself life will be back for sure.

Just some thoughts to make it more easy get more in contact and interested.

also don't know if anyone noticed but both roman republic sites are unsafe in case of security no https or http
what is important against hacking etc.

i really want to help to make it alive again and if it is needed with the site too just send me a message:D.
Gaius Octavius Flavus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 am

Salvete Quirites!

The impression of a mere online game is created, when we build an alternative online reality here. This distinction between reality and online world is often responsible for the lack of interest.

We should first ask ourselves: What are we really? - The trivial answer is: An online message board.
And as such we need an administrator with technical skills and a few moderators. We do not need Consuls, Praetors, a Senate and Comitia. This only creates a parallel game reality. It would be more important to get the technical issues of this forum and website sorted out. The website has still placeholder texts, there is no control panel for the collegia, and the magistri have no moderator rights.
If we like we can give the admins and mods some fancy Roman names, but their job should be focused on actual work, not RPG politics.

Another real life issue is the Roman religion. I know that not all of us follow the Cultus Deorum, but for those who do not, there is already a real life organization that can provide the real-life Roman experience. It is called "Roman Catholic Church".
Setting up the institutions for the Religio Romana should be our main real life priority. The original plan was forming a Collegium Pontificum, but nothing has come out of it so far. We should also be aware that we cannot simply set up our own Collegium Pontificum, we have to do it together with all other followers of our religion, no matter if they are citizens of this Republic or not. We have to cooperate with all other organizations of the Religio worldwide. This is real work. This requires coordination, and this is one of the reasons we need this forum for.

There is real life work to do. And a major part of it has to be done by communicating through the online world. But the online community should not become a separate virtual world by itself. We should rethink our organizational structure. Which magistrates are actually needed? What is the incorporation good for and how does it fit into the whole picture? What does citizenship mean? Does one lose romanitas, if one loses the citizenship here? - I doubt so.

Let us reduce our organization to the essentials, but let us get them right. We do not need fancy magistrates who are absent anyway or who do not have the time, the technical skills or the necessary user rights to do their job in the forum.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Octavius Flavus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm

salve all,

There is much truth in what you say and maybe this is the time to change.
And time to let go of the mind of a kind of second life like C. Florius Lupus said.
And more focus here on the religion itself.
Corporation with other organisations are maybe one of the most important things in the future don't know how many there are out there ?
If the Cultus Deorum has a chance to survive/connect people than you need some kind of marketing strategie to get people with intrest i know it sounds rather strange and maybe stupid but i think there is much to gain from it (in my opinion).

So we need more things then only moderators, We also need people with knowledge of seo (Search Engine Optimization) its hard to find this site even if you want To it cost me several other pages back then when i joined here.
most important thing for now is the safety of this site and please for the ones that have rights for it i know a https or http protection (SSL certificate )costs some money but consider it as soon as possible it's way safer for people's private information and messages

Even if its only mythologie or some basic knowledge of the Cultus Deorum this must be the place where you can find it all get in contact with people who think the same and want help with understanding and of course the practice of it.
Discor/skype chanel these things will be handy too it will greatly boost the site and also younger people wil be more willingly to join and talk about it

Its really great what everyone has done here.
I have much respect for that and there is information for years to come and if all go's well for generations ! to give people more understanding of the religion where not much people know anything about because its lost trough the century's

This is a great place and i know it wil be better in the future!
we can all learn from each other.

(and maybe in the end we could make (a) virtual temple(s) connected to this site where you can bring offers together maybe stupid and don't know its
forbidden yes/no but maybe there are opportunity's there to? christians do it so maybe we can do it to )

Valete,
Octavius Flavus
Gaius Octavius Flavus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Salvete Florio et Omnes

Florius ait "Setting up the institutions for the Religio Romana should be our main real life priority. The original plan was forming a Collegium Pontificum, but nothing has come out of it so far. We should also be aware that we cannot simply set up our own Collegium Pontificum, we have to do it together with all other followers of our religion, no matter if they are citizens of this Republic or not. We have to cooperate with all other organizations of the Religio worldwide. This is real work. This requires coordination, and this is one of the reasons we need this forum for."

Florio, you do not need anyones permission, you do not need anyone to change anything for you, you do not need to change this NFP corporation in anyway; YOU are fully EMPOWERED to ACT: YOU can contact the other followers of the CDR and cooperate with all other organizations of the Religio worldwide. YOU can organize in your local community (-ies You do get around). Use the RR forums (CDR Forum in particular http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=7) or Facebook groups. It is real work - just do it.

Omne, the RR Fora are here for our use whether there are magistrates or not - or NFP or not. Say something, speak your mind, communicate with each other - post. Unlike Facebook, these fora provide discernible endurable threads. Say something, do something then tell us about it - just do it.

Atque Florius ait 'for those who do not (follow CDR), there is already a real life organization that can provide the real-life Roman experience. It is called "Roman Catholic Church".' - just do it.

Pax Vobiscum
P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Aulus Iulius Caesar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 pm

I am fully willing and able to cooperate with any follower of the religio to better the influence of the gods on this Earth. So if anyone has any ideas, plans or events please message me. The gods come before all and any change I get to serve them I take it. In the mean time the activity on this post shows that we can come together and start discussing how to fix things. This is what I wanted to see. Now we just need to branch from this post. I challenge everyone who reads this post to post in another subforum about any topic you wish. Inspire activity and we will all be rewarded. I'm tired of a dead forum. I want people to talk to who share my interests. I know you all do too.
Avlvs Ivlivs Caesar
Aulus Iulius Caesar
Augur
Augur
Martis Sacerdos
Martis Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 am

Salve Sexti Laeve!

I respect and admire your contributions to our community, but this post was not a helpful one among them.
I do not have the knowledge for a sacerdos or a flamen. And if everything is so perfect as it is, why do we have this thread?
My point was, in order to motivate our 500 members and being able to work together with other communities, we need to be organized in a more reality-based way.
Any suggestion to other communities in the current situation creates only the impression that we want to take them over or compete with them over new members. We know this from experience.
How well were our suggestions to RPR received to offer them a sub-forum? How helpful was our insistence that they had to register as citizens of our Republic?

Vale!

Post Scriptum: Should not the vocative of a name ending in -ius be -i?
Gaius Florius Lupus

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum