Public Discussion of Session IX Comitia Curiata

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Public Discussion of Session IX Comitia Curiata

Postby Sextus Decius Mus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:34 am

Fellow Romans and Plebeians!

The Comitia Curiata is now meeting, as our mos maiorum dictates the public can comment on the meeting.

The official meeting is located at this URL http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

The Lictors of the Comitia Curiata are discussing the following:

I) Approval of newly elected magistrates
II) Breaking the tie in the election of the Quaestores
III) Selecting a new Lictor Curiatus Magister

My thoughts as your Tribune are this...

1) We must quickly develop a legal precedence that allows for electorial ties to be broken without requiring the Comitia Curiata. I would value the input of our citizens on how they suggest this be done. What was the historical process?

2) The Lictor Curiatus Magister is a hugely important "behind the scenes job". I am eager to see which Lictors step forward for elevation to this post. I think all the Lictors who are now serving are suited. We are lucky to have such expertise with us.

Citizens and Plebs! Please share your opinions with us for the Comitia Curiata knows your will and that of the modern Roman Republic!
Sextus Decius Mus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Re: Public Discussion of Session IX Comitia Curiata

Postby Lucia Hostilia Scaura » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:31 am

Just a reminder that we are now voting.

If you have comments voice them!
Lucia Hostilia Scaura
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:01 am

Salvete Quirites!
It is undemocratic that the elected magistrates require approval by the Comitia Curiata.
Just a reminder the lictores of the Comitia Curiata are aplointed, not elected. Tbis entire institution goes against the Mos Maiorum and our Declaration. Misusing ancient names with different meaning cannot hide this fact.
Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Salvete

At least for II) Breaking the tie in the election of the Quaestores, a run-off election would be more democratic.

The LEX CURIATORUM: On the election procedure and election irregularities within Roman Assemblies (Version II) http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/download/file.php?id=305, Reporting the Results of an Election, Section II, Procedure for Breaking Ties during elections provides means of breaking ties by seniority.

Valete
Senator P. Sextius Ter Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucia Hostilia Scaura » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Publius Sextius Laevus wrote:Salvete

At least for II) Breaking the tie in the election of the Quaestores, a run-off election would be more democratic.

The LEX CURIATORUM: On the election procedure and election irregularities within Roman Assemblies (Version II) http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/download/file.php?id=305, Reporting the Results of an Election, Section II, Procedure for Breaking Ties during elections provides means of breaking ties by seniority.

Valete
Senator P. Sextius Ter Laevus

I agree it is not ideal. The problem is that lex only talks about ties within a century. It does not address any ties in the final century count. So we are left in a situation without legal guidance.

As a Lictrix I suggest the next Consuls and Praetors immediately introduce a lex to address this matter one and for all in the first weeks of their term. I agree the CC should not be placed in this position of breaking ties again.
Lucia Hostilia Scaura
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:48 pm

I second that. It was the best of a bad situation, unfortunately. One that needs to be remedied, hopefully by input from our citizens on what they believe is best.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Augur
Augur

Return to Main Forum