Gaius Curtius Philo

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:53 pm

C. Florius Lupus omnibus salutem plurimam dicit, salvete!

Former Lictor C. Curtius Philo has served the Respublica with distinction, but has decided to resign from public life, including his position on the Board of Directors.

What is going on with Senator C. Curtius Philo? He is one of the founding members of the Republic and has been more active than anybody else. Why has he expressed the wish to withdraw from public life? I thought he would even run for consul next year.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Re: Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm

It's a matter of personal life stuff he has going on currently. He's decided to devote his time to his family and their needs. So he's on a sabbatical of sorts.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:34 am

Lucius Aurelius Curio wrote:It's a matter of personal life stuff he has going on currently. He's decided to devote his time to his family and their needs. So he's on a sabbatical of sorts.

Shame. But not unexpected considering.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Gratias vobis!
Good to know that it has nothing to do with any problems within our Republic.
Other members of my gens have also been worried about him. His absence is conspicuous, since he has always been very active.
Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:Shame. But not unexpected considering.

This criticism of frater Philo is unacceptable. Philo is a pious man and a good citizen. Life is unpredictable, life's misfortunes sometimes dictate conditions to us. The word "shame" is completely inappropriate here. On the contrary, frater Philo acted as a real respectable citizen, he did not shout at every corner about his problems, he did not complain, he himself took the decision with dedication. Life circumstances set their priorities against his will. However, unlike those who occupy public posts and magistracies, appear only once a quarter or half a year, only in order to demonstratively remind of his presence, frater Philo did honest and dignified, realizing that in the current situation he will not be able to properly fulfill his duties and powers for the posts he holds, he refused them, not clinging to them with a death grip, but giving way to those who can perform this work better, to those who are not constrained by life circumstances.

I and many good citizens of the Republic knew well Philo, and what a sharp turn made his life, how suddenly his life circumstances changed, all this was unexpected, unpredictable.

This is an example of how a good citizen should act.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:28 am

I do not believe that this was meant as an insult. Instead of "shame" Laenas probably meant that it is unfortunate. In some languages it is expressed with the same word.

Is it allowed to know what private problems Senator C. Philo is facing, or would this be an inappropriate intrusion into his privacy? I am getting a little bit worried now.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:I do not believe that this was meant as an insult. Instead of "shame" Laenas probably meant that it is unfortunate. In some languages it is expressed with the same word.

Is it allowed to know what private problems Senator C. Philo is facing, or would this be an inappropriate intrusion into his privacy? I am getting a little bit worried now.

Brutus sal.

I agree. I think Senator Laenas was suggesting the situation is unfortunate.

A good example of the tricky nuances of English on display. :)
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Return to Main Forum