CIRCENSES: Pompa Circensis

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

CIRCENSES: Pompa Circensis

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:50 pm

The pompa circensis is a solemn parade that marks the beginning of the races. In ancient Rome, musicians would play on auloi and lyres, while dancers accompanied them dressed in purple tunics and bronze armaments. Behind these followed a band of Bacchic choristers, clad in shaggy wool and flowered garlands. Finally came incense and golden bowls, carried alongside the train of sacred images.

As the presiding magistrate for these races, I, a lowly quaestor, have the great privilege of donning triumphal regalia: a laurel crown, the royal toga picta, and a biga chariot. Still, only a single lictor precedes me as my quaestorial bodyguard.

Before I address the crowds gathered in the Circus Livius today, I first invite the domini factionum as well as the various sponsors to greet their supporters and introduce their aurigae who will be competing in the qualifying races!
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Re: CIRCENSES: Pompa Circensis

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:37 am

As one of the two domini of Factio Prasina, I would like to thank first and foremost the incredible show of sportsmanship and zeal that the Prasini sponsors demonstrated towards this event. Prasina managed to put to the table not one, not two, but five different sponsors! On behalf of all Prasina, I thank these valuable men and women for their commitment to the games and what it represents, the livelyness and vigor of the Roman People that echo through the aeons!

Prasina, the Green Team, represents Spring, the coming of the first fruits, the ever generous bountiful powers of nature. May these great powers bless you all today and may we all take part of the joy that so well mimics the struggle of life! Let this struggle between competitors in friendly sportsmanship inspire us to greatness in our lives, so that we may never give up on ourselves and our objectives.

I wish you all luck, and may Flora, Tellus and all the Gods and Goddesses of Rome bring you luck!

Gloria Prasina!
Gloria Maxima!
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome to all spectators and sponsors that are attending these wonderful games! Because of you, the games are not only possible, but will flourish!

Factio Albata, the Whites, have brought forth ten chariots to race today. While we only have two sponsors, we bring forth chariots full of vigor and determination, who shall work together to bring home glory to one of the oldest racing factions of Rome!

May Luna, the four winds, Fortuna, and all the gods bless these endeavors for the glory of Factio Albata!
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

L. Livius quaest. con. et prae. circ. omnibus in Circo s.p.d.

I, Lucius Livius Seneca of the tribe of the Anio, before the Roman people do declare that I will faithfully observe all the provisions of the Circus; and I do further solemnly promise and undertake that I will not, as Master of the Races, attempt to influence the actions of the charioteers, or the results of these races.

The three qualifying races will consist of five (5) laps. After I have posted the results of a given leg of the race, each chariot will have twelve (12) hours to submit to me their action for the next leg. If all chariots have submitted their actions before this deadline, I will post the results as soon as possible, instead of waiting the full twelve hours. Chariots which fail to submit an action before the twelve hour deadline will be considered to have chosen the "Steady" action. All results will be posted in the Circus Livius.

I therefore throw my mappa, and declare the races open! All chariots have twelve hours from the time of this posting to submit their list of all eight starting line positions in order of preference, to determine the initial lineup of chariots out of the starting gates. The sale of betting stubs will remain open until I post the results of the starting lineup.

Bona fortuna omnibus aurigis, et valete optime.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 pm

L. Livius prae. circ. omnibus in Circo sal.

Some points of clarification:
  1. All chariot actions should be sent to me via private message, so that your opponents in the Circus do not know your intentions in the race.
  2. For the initial determination of the starting lines, please send me all eight possible positions in order of preference, in case your first, second, third, etc. choice is already taken by someone with a higher Speed check.
  3. Races A, B, and C are running concurrently, so that the qualifiers don't take forever. This is a benefit of a virtual circus. As such, all chariots in all three races should be sending in their choices to me now.
If anyone has any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 am

The chariots have left the carceres, and so the sale of betting stubs is now finished for the qualifying races. All details of the races are announced in their respective threads, and the Circus Livius. Note that the golden dolphin icons mark the current lap of the race, while golden eggs will indicate the number of Bonus Dice any given charioteer currently possesses after a successful turn (much like the markers in the ancient Circus Maximus).

Best of luck to all our charioteers!

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 pm

Nihil.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Now that some of the chariots have earned themselves bonus dice on the first turn, this is just a reminder to let me know when you would like to use one or more of them for an action or Control check on a turn. Remember, those bonus dice expire once you've made another turn, so they won't last forever!

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Five days have now passed, and all three races have now entered their second lap. If this is taken to be indicative, it means that the remaining four laps of the races will take approximately twenty more days (i.e., to Oct. 4). We then also have to hold the championship race, which could take us to November. Since the ludi Romani are wrapping up tomorrow, and to spare our charioteers too much battering on the metae, I've decided to run the qualifiers for only two more laps, for a total of three laps. This should be short enough to conclude the races in a reasonable amount of time, but long enough to ensure that they remain competitive.

If anyone has any strong objections to this, please let me know. Otherwise, the races will continue accordingly.

Valete optime.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 am

The qualifier races are completed, and the results are in! The charioteers who will be racing in the final, championship race are as follows: Artemon (L. Curio), Eonus (T. Aurelius), Diocles (M'. Ovidius), Galen (Aurelia Apollonia), Kostas (Aurelia Apollonia), Makarios (Aurelia Apollonia), Nestor (C. Curtius Aurelianus), and Petrus (P. Brutus).

The championship race will be a quadriga race of three laps. Sponsors of these charioteers should therefore select the four horses they will be assigning to their chariot team, and inform me of their choices as soon as possible. You are not obliged to use the same horses you used in the qualifiers (wounded horses and charioteers, for example, will not heal until the next ludi, so you may wish for fresh Venetian mares; or you may wish to change your chariot-team's strategy altogether). If a sponsor does not have enough horses to field a quadriga, he may purchase more from the curule aediles (N.B. The discount is still in effect).

All surviving chariot teams are also eligible to increase their Attributes, as outlined here in the Circenses rules. Sponsors, please submit your improvements to me as soon as possible so that I can document them in the Stabula.

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Next

Return to Main Forum