CIRCENSES: The Return of the Races!

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

CIRCENSES: The Return of the Races!

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 pm

L. Livius Seneca quaest. cons. omnibus Quiritibus sal.

My fellow citizens, I come to you in the name of our newly elected curule aediles with great and joyous news! One week hence, our glorious Republic will honour its ancestral foundations by celebrating the venerable ludi Romani. As our Roman forebears did in the past, this year we too shall be celebrating all things Roman with the unmatched sport of chariot racing!

Construction of the Circus Livius has just been completed, and to inaugurate her monumental track, chariots will be needed to fill the starting-gates. All the details for sponsoring and racing a chariot can be found here. Any member of one of the four, official factiones is eligible to sponsor a chariot team.

Prices has been set by the curule aediles as follows, but in honour of our 500th citizen registration ( :mrgreen: ), they are also offering a special, limited-time discount for these ludi : a whopping 50% off all charioteers and horses!

• Charioteers: Ӿ40 ea. NOW Ӿ20 ea.!
  • Horses:
    • Asturian Fillies: Ӿ30 ea. NOW Ӿ15 ea.!
    • Thessalian Stallions: Ӿ30 ea. NOW Ӿ15 ea.!
    • Scythian Geldings: Ӿ20 ea. NOW Ӿ10 ea.!
    • Venetian Mares: Ӿ16 ea. NOW Ӿ8 ea.!

Payments for charioteers and horses can be made through the website, and should be sent to the Cohors Aedilicia, with all necessary details (factio, number of charioteers/horses desired). Any questions should be directed to me, L. Livius Seneca, as I will be acting as praepositus circensis (Master of the Races) for these ludi.

Once the ludi Romani begin, tickets will also be sold so you can bet on your favourite charioteer in the races. Winners will receive a share of the proceeds! Keep a careful eye on the forum for further announcements regarding prizes, race details, and other news.

So gather up your denarii, and register with your favourite factio today!
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Magister Collegi LatiniDominus Prasinus
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Re: CIRCENSES: The Return of the Races!

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Sal.

Great fun! Registered! :)
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:45 pm

L. Livius quaest. cons. et prae. circ. omnibus Quiritibus sal.

The curule aediles have just informed me that the winners' purses have been allotted as follows:

• 1st Place: Ӿ90
  • 2nd Place: Ӿ50
  • 3rd Place: Ӿ35
Furthermore, as a glimpse of things to come ( ;) ), I myself will be sending the first place winner of the races one of these fine Res Publica keychains:

Valete optime!
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

I registered two charioteers for Prasina ^^
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 am

I put in two more charioteers. A total of 4 for Prasina
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 am

L. Livius quaest. cons. et prae. circ. omnibus sal.

The stables are filling quickly! We should have an excellent race season for these upcoming ludi Romani.

All records for the races will be documented in the Stabula Factionum. Let me know if you notice any errors, and I will do my utmost to correct them.

Valete optime!
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Salve Romans!!

The Cohors Aedilicia has decided that the Ludi Romani which is a glorious event, it should have a glorious prize as well. To this end the esteemed T, Aurelius Apollinaris and myself have decided to increase the amount of prizes. Therefore the prizes will now be changed to these amounts.
- 1st prize will now be 250 denarii
-2nd prize will be 175 denarii
3rd prize will be 100 denarii.

I hope that everyone will be pleased with the changes.
Let the best chariots win the races to come.

Vale bene.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:26 am

Ten chariots registered for the glory of the Albatae!
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:20 am

Gaius Valerius Scipio wrote:Salve Romans!!

The Cohors Aedilicia has decided that the Ludi Romani which is a glorious event, it should have a glorious prize as well. To this end the esteemed T, Aurelius Apollinaris and myself have decided to increase the amount of prizes. Therefore the prizes will now be changed to these amounts.
- 1st prize will now be 250 denarii
-2nd prize will be 175 denarii
3rd prize will be 100 denarii.

I hope that everyone will be pleased with the changes.
Let the best chariots win the races to come.

Vale bene.

Sal.

I'm happy to offer my patronage to these games and will offer a further 80 denarii to the first place winner. This brings first place to 330 denarii.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:49 pm

L. Livius Seneca quaestor consularis et praepositus circensis omnibus in foro sal.

The stabula are bursting with charioteers and their steeds! My thanks to the noble patrons of our races! If anyone notices any errors in the records of the stabula, please let me know so that I can correct them.

Furthermore, our curule aediles, C. Valerius Scipio and T. Aurelius Apollinaris, have more than doubled the prize monies. Censor P. Iunius Brutus also, as is his usual generous custom, has added to champion's purse of his own largesse. Truly, our Republic is blessed to have such magnanimous magistrates!

As such, the prizes currently stand at:

• 1st PLACE: Ӿ330, and a Res Publica keychain;
  • 2nd PLACE: Ӿ175;
  • 3rd PLACE: Ӿ100.
The tournament will unfold as follows:

1. Three concurrent, qualifying races will start in the next few days (A, B, and C). Race A will follow the traditional format: two places for each factio, which in the case of these races will include only five chariots: two Albati, two Prasini, one Veneti, and no Russati. In order to allow the great number of Green and White chariots to participate, Races B and C will each include eight chariots: four Albati, and four Prasini.
  2. The top four chariots from Race A, and the top two chariots from each of Races B and C will then form the eight finalists who will run the championship race. The top three chariots of this race will win the prizes listed above.
Each factio must decide for itself which chariots it will send to which of the races. I ask that the domini factionum inform me of their choices as soon as possible. Note that, because of time constraints from running these games online across a large number of time-zones, these races will likely take longer than the actual ludi Romani (Sept. 5-19). The ancient Romans could spend endless hours obsessing over the races, and so can we! :D

Valete optime!
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Next

Return to Main Forum