An unmet need

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Re: An unmet need

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am

Lucia Horatia Adamas wrote:L. Horatia Adamas L. Livio Senecæ K. Cispio Lævo omnibusque S.P.D.

Indeed, it does seem that the Romulans were based on the Romans…and not always for the best of reasons.

Did I mention that a fair number of classicists are Trekkies? ;-) Seneca has just proven that point…and he and I don't seem to be the only ones around here!

Valete!

Whether or not they were based on Romans or if trekkies are classicists, this group is here to promote Rome and a roman culture into the modern era. We aren't a star trek website, we are here to revive Rome as its spiritual successor. If they want to do star trek stuff, there is a time and place for it but I don't think this is the place to do it.

Valete.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Re: An unmet need

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 pm

L. Horatia Adamas C. Valerio Scipioni omnibusque S.P.D.

Well, there are those who don't seem to mind cutting off their noses in spite of their faces. If one wishes to recruit new members, or even to engage existing ones more intensely, it is wise to make connections with other groups which have similar interests. It is nice to see that several here are indeed Trekkies, and among Trekkies, one may find other interested parties. Likewise, one may find recruits among Latinists and other classicists--but too few of my classical colleagues have ever heard of Nova Roma or the Roman Republic or any similar group. Has anyone tried to contact any national or international classical organization, such as the Academia Latinitati Fovendæ, whose annual convention I just attended, or the Archæological Institute of America, the Philological Institute, assorted classical associations, etc., etc.? Probably not. I suspect that a good many classicists are at least somewhat familiar with v-Roma, but don't know of any organization which has a Roman-style government from which they might learn much about the operations of such a regime. I learned more about such matters in a Roman organization than I did during my baccalaureate and master's degree and even doctoral level studies in classics. Hey, it might be worth a try…even with the Klingons and Romulans and Vulcans. One never knows where one might find friends.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Previous

Return to Main Forum