The Future

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

The Future

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Roman Republic and the Future
The Roman Republic is a truly unique organization. But it could be so much better. The Roman Republic could be the blending of online governmental debate and policy making and a real life realization of the Roman Republic/Empire. Empire I say, but we are a Republic. Yes we are a Republic, but the Roman Republic in the real world could be more.
The Roman Republic in the real world could become the preeminent Roman Living History organization. Living history has its appeal to many walks of life, especial social and educational. Numerous organizations hold Living History timelines, a sort of gathering for all reenactors to share their passion for their chosen period of history. The Roman Republic could begin to be a part of all that. Imagine weekend event which had citizens, Legionnaires, Senators, merchants and all the panoply of Roman life. Senators could be seen debating issues of the Republic, merchants could be selling their wares, Legionnaires could be on display showing their martial prowess. Who would not love to see a Scorpion hurling bolts of iron down range?
In the educational aspect, bring Rome to the classroom, let students see Senators and Legionnaires.
Hear the accounts of Cicero, Marius, Caesar, and Augustus first hand. Pliny the Elder reading his works. Bringing the Roman Republic into the real world also brings in the potential for educational grant money, but I will discuss that later. Bringing the Roman Republic to life will be a challenge, and the topic of much discussion, but could become something great.
With the implementation of new forums, we could address how our new members are brought in, as well and maintaining control and structure at the provincial level. Governors, as it stands, are truly not responsible for much. That needs to change. Governors can do so much more. Governors should be the first step up the political ladder. If an individual can’t properly oversee a province, what says he will be good for the whole organization? Governors could easily be empowered with the whole membership process. With the implantation of a new forum, each province would be assigned their own personal forum. A prospectful individual seeks to join Roman Republic, their first step is to register with the new forums. After that, the individual is given access to the provincial forum, where they can make a formal introduction. The Governor then reaches out to the new member and begins the vetting process. Once a Governor ensures that this individual is a good candidate for citizenship, they then proceed to send the application up to the Censors for final review and acceptance. Secondarily, Governors are responsible for maintaining both an online and real world representation of Roman Republic. Governors are empowered to appoint up to 4 individuals to assist in the operation of the province. These individuals may cover areas such as public relations on a local level, organizing real world events, being a liaison between new members and Roman Republic, recruitment and appointing an individual to serve in place of the Governor should the Governor not be available for a short period of time. The need for such administrative roles are to ease the burden now placed on the Governors, while also allowing for more activities within a province. If a given province wishes to have more real world activity, then having an individual to assist makes process easier to carry out. It also allows Roman Republic to see who actually wishes to excel in the organization, and allows the citizens to see those who would be a good potential candidate for higher positions. Since campaigning is short, having a checks and balances helps all individuals be able to make a more informed decision based upon the activities of the candidates. In short, members can see who did what, or who did nothing. This ends the “free ride” mentality.
Now income is an important aspect to any organization. With more funds and funding, comes better opportunities for the organization. Membership dues, while voluntary, should give those who pay something for their money. All officials’ positions should be for tax paying citizens. Secondly, being that a majority of our members are inactive, or nonpaying members, what incentive is there for an individual to pay taxes, other than being able to hold office. Not everyone is able to pay taxes, so perhaps a taxation formula is made in the form of donations. A full membership is X amount of dollars per year and entitles the individual certain rights or privileges, after that are blocks of donation amounts, starting with $5 dollars on up to the full membership price. With each block comes certain rights and privileges. This may encourage more members to pay into the treasury. Not everyone may be able to pay a full membership, or even see what the purpose is, when they may get nothing in return. We need to offer incentives to donating to the treasury. Currently, we have three orders of membership, the Patricians, the Equites, and the Plebs. The first two group make up the “elite” society of the organization, but to the best of my knowledge, pay the same amount of taxes as a Pleb. That in itself shows an equality. The top percent get titles and voting block perks while the rest get nothing, all for the same price. In Rome, I do believe a Patrician would have paid more than a street merchant pleb. The Patrician definitely had the better life, and with it came a higher cost. Outside of taxation, we must pursue educational grants as well. We need to show that the Roman Republic is a legitimate organization worthy of educational grants. Another avenue is the sale of Roman Republic branded or approved merchandise. These items would be for sale to full members of Roman Republic. If we were incorporate in the United States, then we would be entitled to sell Roman Republic Branded merchandise to outside parties (Nonprofit corporations are different than profit-focused corporations in several ways. The most simple difference is that nonprofit corporations cannot operate for profit. Meaning, they cannot allocate corporate income to shareholders. The funds acquired by nonprofit corporations must stay within the corporate accounts to pay for reasonable salaries, expenses, and the activities of the corporation.) That being stated, if all income derived from outside sources funds our educational programs, runs our administrative fees (web, domain, and forum hosting fee’s) and is used to further our mission statement as a nonprofit, we may well be able to increase our treasury. As previously stated, grants are a great source of income. An increase in treasury allows us more options within our organization such as funding living history displays, media for recruitment, charitable donations (thus increasing our public awareness), and numerous other activities.
As they currently stand, the bylaws of the Roman Republic do not truly reflect our organization, and that is due to the fact that as we have grown, our bylaws have changed, but not fully covered all areas. Our current set of bylaws are literally a Constitution, as it is intended. But that does not run parallel with who we are, or perhaps it does. The Roman Republic needs to amend, perhaps completely rewrite its bylaws to cover all aspects of what our organization is, with less emphasis on a sovereignty and more in line with an organization. The Roman Republic is declared a nonprofit charitable organization, but what has Roman Republic done that is charitable? We collect membership dues to those that wish to pay them, but has the Roman Republic made a charitable contribution or utilized its sphere of influence in any charitable way? The Roman Republic seems to fall more under the envelope of a 501c7 “Tax Exempt Club”. Applying for exemption under 501(c)(7) as a social club allows a group to pool their money in pursuit of an exempt purpose without being subject to an additional tax. This can be helpful when a group of individuals wants to build a recreational facility like a swimming pool or tennis court. Individuals who become members can contribute to purchase of the facility and utilize it according to the club’s rules. 501(c)(3) organizations must spend their income on activities that further their exempt purpose, which is a charitable cause. 501(c)(7) social clubs’ exempt purpose does not have to be charitable, but it must be social or recreational and non-profitable. Designation as a 501(c)(7) also allows the group to limit membership. Instead of operating like a business for the public, social clubs only serve members. Now, as a c7 we do begin to limit our options for revenue. But in reality, what does the Roman Republic do with its current revenue? Under a c7, revenue can be used to purchase facilities for use by the club. Both c3 and c7 have merits and demerits to them. What the Roman Republic truly is, and where it wants to go, should determine what class it falls into. Acting as a c7 limits the ability to earn funds from outside sources, and also exempts from grants, but if the Roman Republic chooses to be a club, then why does it need to raise revenue outside of dues. A c3 on the other hand, does allow for the growth of capital revenue from outside sources, greater than 35%. If the Roman Republic earns $10,000 in outside revenue (merchandise), but invests $7,000 in funding an educational living history display, the organization does still qualify as a 501c3. An easy way to offset income, is to make a charitable donation. Again, the Roman Republic makes $10,000 in outside revenue (merchandise) and makes a $7,000 donation to an authorized archeological project in Rome, again, it has stayed within Federal Law. Ultimately,the Roman Republic should either decide if it is truly a nonprofit charitable organization (and if so, then begin to act as such), or it should be dissolved and restructured under the 501c7 rule. If it does choose to dissolve, Roman Republic Inc. needs to distribute assets back to its members, or make a donation to another c3 organization. Another distinct difference between a c3 and c7 is membership. A c3 is open to the public, while a c7 is limited membership. See the following for a comparison between c3 and c7. If the Roman Republic chooses to stay as a c3 entity, then the bylaws need to truly reflect as such, written in a manner that is legal binding, and not open to interpreted, as it currently stands. The current set of bylaws (rather rules) are more in line with a c7 in the nature of how they are written, derived, and interpreted.

Please follow link to see difference between a c3 and c7 organization
http://homeschoolcpa.com/compare-501c3- ... cial-club/

The future of the Roman Republic is in every member’s hands, and we must choose what is best for the organization, and ultimately, what type of organization it is. If it is a 501c3, then Roman Republic needs to begin to do charitable acts, and acting in the general public’s interests. If it chooses to restructure as a 501c7, then the laws need to be rewritten and the organization recreated. But, being a c7 does not stop the organization from acting in the public’s eye. Funds can be donated to charities, and real world activities done, only it will be funded solely by the club with only a small outside contribution.
Roman Republic Domain Network Architecture
Under the restructuring of http://www.romanrepublic.org, all assets associated with http://www.romanrepublic.org would be migrated to a full service provider. A full service provider allows for the creation of a true domain, while adding layers of security for all aspects of the domain. It also allows for the creation of needed growth potential in the ability to create unlimited websites and email address, and the formation of a fully functional forum
Section One-Domain
The domain would be controlled by 5 individuals broken into two groups. These two groups represent the domain admins. They have total control over the network. Group one consisting of two individuals are known as the super-admins. Super-admins have 100% authority and control over all aspects of the domain. Only super-admins have the ability to undo any changes or deletions deemed unauthorized by any lower level admin. Under the super-admins are the domain admins. They have control over all aspects of the domain, with the exception noted above. The purpose of these 5 admins are for the delegation of activities pertaining to the network structure, allow for a checks and balances system, and ensures at any given time, an admin is present.
The organizational structure of the domain consists of three main entities, the official Roman Republic website, the official Roman Republic forums, and all Roman Republic provincial websites. Those three entities are under the Roman Republic domain.
Section Two-Official Roman Republic website
The official Roman Republic website (herein after known as website, or site) is administered by a group appointed by the board of directors. These individuals will represent webmaster, contributors, editors, and any other function deemed necessary by the organization. They will have full access to the website only. Any unauthorized changes not being able to be reverted can be addressed by the domain admins. The structure and administration of the current site will not change unless deemed necessary by the organization or board of directors.
Section 3- Roman Republic Forums
The Official Roman Republic forums (herein after known as forums) will have forum admins assigned, along with varying moderators to oversee the day to day operation of the forums. All aspects of communication for the organization will be addressed within the forums. Each category will have admins and moderators, who have control over the forums, but can be amended, reverted, or superseded by domain admins. Once the new forums go live, all old message traffic from previous forums will be migrated and archived within the forums, for future use.
Section 4-Official Provincial Websites
The domain admins will create a website template for each province within the organization (i.e. romanrepublic.org/provincename). Each provincial website with have its own webmaster. The webmaster will have full control over the website, but will be subject to control by the domain admins in the event of any unauthorized changes or violations of policy. Provincial websites will be for sharing information on the local level of the province. All information contained in the provincial website will be by authorized rights of the Roman Republic bylaws, and within accordance with usage policy.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Legatus Legio X Cohor III
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Re: The Future

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm

I will try to address all your points.

1) Provincial forums and provincial administration - As of now any Provincial governor can create Provincial forums. There is nothing stoping you from making an Edictum and making that. You also have full power to create other provincial offices through edictum. You have more powerful as governor than you seem to know amice. In this we dont need any restructuring, we just need you to go out there and recruit, create your community. The power is all in your hands. You can also if you wish create a subforum in the RR by making a Collegium. This Collegium can even serve as a constitutional frame for your Province if you wish. So a lot of flexibility there too.

2) Tax fees - The example "lower tier" fees for those that cant afford paying taxes that you suggested are higher than the current tax fees I pay in my province ($4). The tax fees dont go over $8 and are lowered in accordance to where you live and how average income is. So this doesnt really need changing, our taxes are already very fair.

3) Privilages for tax payers - You can only be an officer if you pay taxes. But the first year you enter the RR you get tax exemption. What you propose already exists. I don't know what you want to alter here.

4) Patrician Privilages - Patricians have no special electorial block. We actually have less Privilages than the Plebs. We dont have any special treatment regarding voting power and we are prohibited from voting in the Consilium Plebis and taking certain offices. If anything, beinf Patrician is a burden that us only offshooted by the honor it entails. You are trying to change a non-problem lol Read more about how our voting system works before trying to change it amice, it will save a lot of your time because many times you might think you see a problem when none exist. The only group that has the privilage of a seperate block is the Equites. And Patricians cant even be Equites (we are barred from that too), only Plebs can.

5) Use of funds - We have as of now around $3000 dollars in the RR. We shouldnt be burning that out. We need to accumulate money before we spend it amice. Our efforts now will be in increasing revenue so we can invest and start getting a stable income to then use that income in charitable things. The RR exists only for a bit over a year. We just need time. I personally prefer we use these $3000 smartly in a way that over time it becomes a $3000 monthly income, instead of burning it all now on one go.

The things you are proposing in general just seem like you didnt take the time to actually see how the RR works amice and started suggesting things you think are a problem. I understand you want to help and that is commendable. But you need to know how our org works before it being possible to make any useful suggestion. Or else you might end up, like in this post, suggesting a bunch of non-issues that you wouldnt even bother mentioning if you had all the facts.

Regarding incorporating in the USA, I think the Provinces of the US should incorporate as a seperate legal entity (maybe the Unitae Provinciae Americae). This has been suggested before by yourself and you received full support by both me and Consul Curio. Why don't you do that?
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Salve, amice

I have seen how the RR works, and doesn’t work. As I said in my post, I was talking about the future. I will concede some points, as you did clearly define them, but do not take my lack of clarity for ignorance. I have taken the time to read bylaws, and I have also learned from past mistakes.

While the creation of more collegiums is a quick fix, it still does not address the creative aspect and localization of each province. Can the collegium be utilized to create a website, or is it simply just yet another forum? The way things are set up reflects the lack of an IT background, with an individual dedicated to doing said job, or perhaps the individual just isn’t doing their job. If you look at the province of Eria, you will note that it reflects no Governor, nor any citizens, and the same applies to your own province. In regards to Nova Lusitania, it actually states that the last time the page was updated was 4 March 2015. Where is the IT oversight there?

I had proposed tax incentives as a form of revenue making, and now that I see the current revenue is only $3000, it lower than I actually expected. This is where, as I stated, grants could be applied. In the US, there are numerous educational grants that could be applied for, but being that we are not a US entity, we are not entitled. As to the comment of forming the UPA, that should be a decision made by the Board of Directors, and paid for by the parent entity. The reason I say this is because once a separate entity is made, one that is outside the realm of the RR, are we not yet one more splinter cell? What prohibits the UPA from becoming its own entity. I do not know how many groups have sprung up since the demise of NR, and some from damage done even in the RR, but solidarity should be paramount, not division.

Again, as I stated previously, I have been with Roman Recreationism since 2001. I have seen the perils, pitfalls, and ultimate stagnation from maintaining the status quo. I look towards the future, and how the group may evolve.

Lastly, the comment made about not seeing how things work, well I do see how things work. And don’t work. I seek to help, not hinder, I offer ideas, but receive ridicule. You say I don’t understand how a non-profit organization works, then by all means, please enlighten me on this matter. You wanted to enlighten me, well you have my undivided attention now.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Where did you receive ridicule amice? O.o I purposefully tried to be as polite and useful as possible while writing my answer out of my respect to you. All I said was that you said things that were not true in the RR and that you seemed not to know what you were talking about that IN PARTICULAR. In NO instance did I say you were unkowing of either non-profits in general or reenactment. I have shown nothing but utmost respect to you and do not deserve such treatment from your part...

The provincial page of Nova Lusitania is suppost to be maintained by thr provincial governor. We have none. Thus no update. The page of Eria is for you to edit. So you can fix that easily by either contracting a citizen or changing it yourself. And yes, you have the right to form your own provincial forum independently of a collegium. Just make a forum and make it official through an edictum. Only to make a Subforum in the RR main forum do you need a collegium.

And I agree ENTIRELY with you that we need more of an IT presence. Praetor K. Laevus has started a great initiative looking for such people. Any help on that is more than welcome.

I would NEVER presume to know more than you on non-profits. Please dont put words in my mouth because I dont put them in yours. I hope you have the same level of respect towards me that I have ALWAYS shown towards you... If you can help us form an IT group I think that would be very important for our growth, we need a better infrastructure.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Honesta Philo,

I have always had the utmost respect for you, and had always counted you as a sense of conscience. When you stated that I clearly did not understand how the RR works, was to me, simply stating that I am ignorant on these matters, ergo, ridicule. You did not address the IT related issues/improvements I mentioned, and it seemed that they were simply dismissed out of hand. It wasn't until I redressed said issues that you concede their validity. I had shown deference when I stated that I do clearly concede some validations you made, and in that, I was showing you respect. I am not one for sitting behind a keyboard and say "woe is me, people are picking on me". I had believed that this to be an open forum, where we could express proposals, ideas, concepts, theories, without the threat of being silenced, mocked, or ridiculed. I believed that when I wrote this post I was addressing concerns I thought should be discussed, perhaps for my own education, perhaps for everyone consideration. I had not intended it to be derogatory, but rather a topic for discussion, helping to guide us to prosperity, and not ruination.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 pm

Brutus Cen. Sal.

Lots of interesting ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Some of these ideas are actually implemented as pointed out. Others can be expanded upon. I'm always enthusiastic about discussing our future. Such conversations lead to a bright future. Throughout my time in the RR my own ideas are always improved upon through such discussions.

There is a lot you cover. I will comment on one section, the provinces.

What the founders of the RR were invisioning with the provinces has not come to pass. I think this could be for several reasons. Some maybe are related to the feedback you provided. The provinces should and will one day be the backbone of the face-to-face community. Geographic restrictions guarantees this reality.

The RR was created with the idea of provinces being mostly self governing and distinct entities. My own expirence in Roman Restorationism over the last 17 years has taught me that this is the most productive means of developing a thriving province. All thriving local groups that existed at one time had this common feature. But a downside to this decentralized approach is that it depends upon strong and motivated leaders.

Some of these leadership aspects can be trained. I would argue this has taken a backseat to getting the whole organization up and running. This certainly was the case during my consulship last year. But such training should take a greater priority. The RR is stabilizing and exiting its infantile stages. Doing the current census I see that 333 out of 470 something citizens are active enough to vote and or pay tax. We are drawing more than a sustainable income. The Roman Restorationist community is more united and at peace than anytime over the last decade. It's time to shift focus to three things;

Provinces, the market place, optimization of administration (the last bring boring but critical).

I) PROVINCES

I would argue no governor has yet performed as was intended and invisioned by the founders. We need to figure out why. Why are there no provincial web sites? What is preventing local recruitment? What potential allies exist in the provinces and what has stopped out reach to them? What has been tried and tested in the provinces?

The senate is due to evaluate all governors. We need to answer these questions during this process. We need to get fresh blood in leadership roles as well if lack of time or ability is a factor. This is the first step towards improvement.

We also need to train our regional leadership. The best way is probably through example.

I have applied to govern Pacifica. I will hopefully learn first hand what the challenges are and also try to set an example of what can be done in the provinces by applying my experience born in the RR and other places.

We should also move forward with founding a collegia for governors to collaborate. Philo Maior was working on this before getting sick. The remaining consul and Praetores should find a way to assign a trusty magistrate to get this task done.

II) MARKET PLACE

There is no reason why we cannot tap other sources of income. Why not sell related goods to benefit the mission of the NPO? Why not encourage citizens to sell related goods through our active and unique audience and take a comission to further the mission of the NPO?

We should be spending funds on developing an online market place to facilitate these things. Again, consuls and Praetores and to a lesser extent aediles should be spearheading such a project. We need to find out why this is not happening and have a discussion around it.

III) ADMINISTRATION

We have several admin people, over 10 to be exact. We need to give these people specific tasks and the freedom to get them done. We need to train those who are struggling by providing mentorship. We need to remove those who do not have the time or motivation and replace them with citizens who do.

Every magistrate and governor should have a specific and achievable objective that they are responsible for over their term. Right now this is not the case. So there is a strong element of inefficiency. Luckily this is probably easily solved with careful management of the Consules, Praetores and Senate.

In a few months we will change over in magistrates as well. So if this group is not successful in this regards then a new opportunity will exist. As a private citizen I will personally take a special interest in seeing this happen.

Right now we have positions for Quaestor and Aedile open. At the end of the day an organization is as good as its administrators. So if you have ideas and motivation and love this Respublica than I urge you to get involved in helping administer this NPO. Our future depends on these people putting these discussions into action.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:20 am

Marcus Aurelius Seianus wrote:Honesta Philo,

I have always had the utmost respect for you, and had always counted you as a sense of conscience. When you stated that I clearly did not understand how the RR works, was to me, simply stating that I am ignorant on these matters, ergo, ridicule. You did not address the IT related issues/improvements I mentioned, and it seemed that they were simply dismissed out of hand. It wasn't until I redressed said issues that you concede their validity. I had shown deference when I stated that I do clearly concede some validations you made, and in that, I was showing you respect. I am not one for sitting behind a keyboard and say "woe is me, people are picking on me". I had believed that this to be an open forum, where we could express proposals, ideas, concepts, theories, without the threat of being silenced, mocked, or ridiculed. I believed that when I wrote this post I was addressing concerns I thought should be discussed, perhaps for my own education, perhaps for everyone consideration. I had not intended it to be derogatory, but rather a topic for discussion, helping to guide us to prosperity, and not ruination.

Amice, did you see the size of your post? I actually made a list of the topics in an attempt to address all of them to the best of my abilities. I missed one of them. You are the only one talking about being picked on. I was honestly trying to be constructive in my words. I wasnt either trying to silence you or ridicule you. So much so that the topic I thought you were right about I concedes in THAT post (about incorporating in the USA). If I didnt address the IT proposal in my first post, I am sorry. Im human. Even when we try to talk of every point some slip through the cracks. You dont need to be aggressive about it and misrepresent me like that.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 am

Esteemed Brutus,
As always, a forward thinker, and one with a keen eye. Thank you for replying and adding your insight and observations. Since returning to the United States, I have found my province to be rather “lacking” in interested parties, or individuals that’s shall we say, may not be the best candidates for membership. But I speak only for the region I live in. I have made contact with interested academics who are willing to share literature pertaining to the Republic once the fall semester begins. Externally, I have coordinated with several Legion leaders, and will be making a larger push for them to get involved, at least on some level, with us.
I still personally think provincial websites are a great way of engaging our citizens, as well as reaching out to those unfamiliar with us. Back in early internet days, there used to be ‘web rings” with associated websites. We could capitalize on that by making a RR ring. This way people can see whats going on as a whole throughout the Republic. To be quite honest, there are numerous avenues we could use, but just have not. I support getting a firmer IT backbone for the RR.
I truly enjoyed reading your post, and gained much insight, and glad that you share similar concerns while sharing the optimistic future as well. I remain a loyal servant of the Republic, and offer my assistance in any matter that may be needed.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 am

C. Florius Lupus omnibus civibus S.P.D.
Salvete!

One of the points made by Seianus was the creation of a new non-profit corporation n the US. It was answered withe the suggestion of a corporation for the province.
This is an interesting point I had mentioned before. When our corporation was founded, it was argued that even the Roman Catholic Church is organized as a corporation in many countries. This is true, but the head if the Church, the Vatican (formerly the Papal Sates), s not.
I think all corporations should be on provincial level. The central admnistration of the Republic hiowever does not need one and should be independent like the Vatican is.
There are also legal reasons. A European is not subject to Canadian laws, if he has never been there. It is a different jurisdiction that would require a corporation in the EU, set up under EU laws.
The provinces should indeed be the most important level of the Republic. They should have their own corporation, if necessary, have their own forum by being organized as Collegia, and organize their own events without interference of the central government. This way the province/collegium level would be the most important. It could open the way for other organizations like TEMPLVM.ORG to join us and to opperate independently with their own corporation and no interference from above.
The Republic would simply be the community of all Rimans without limitations by national corporative laws.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Salve Honesta Lupus,

I agree with your sentiments as well, yet see one conflicting matter, pertaining only to the US. If each province were to incorporate separately then they would be competing against each other for grants and supplemental funding. A united entity would then be able to pool resources. Your point on EU is spot on though, how can we attempt to gain funding for EU provinces when the EU does not recognize Canadian law?

I hate to see us shout ourselves in the foot by limiting the possibilities for various grants because we are hamstrung by our own corporate identification. I had mentioned incorporating in the US for two reasons, the availability of grants/funding, and the ability to distribute funds as fit within the confines of the organizational structure.

Incorporating under a 501c7 (social club) has merit. It allows us to establish different clubs anywhere, while falling under the parent entity. Now many will scoff at being known as a "social club" because it does demean the nature of who we are. But we must remember we are two separate entities. We are the People and Senate, and we are the corporation. Both entities need each other. I have a perfect example of a prosperous 501c7. The 501st Legion.

If you are not familiar with the 501st Legion, they are a multi-national Star Wars costuming "club". They have close to 12,000 members, and donate over a million dollars each year to charity just for wearing Star Wars costumes. If you strip away the Star Wars aspect, they are a very sound model. I myself am a member. They have the Legion command (LC), then each area of operation is known simply as a base. Each base runs itself, yet runs under the proscribed laws of the LC. We could in essence follow their example, making the provinces run the local administration, yet remaining subordinate to the parent, the Senate. I can explain for if anyone wishes for examples or clarifications.

Lastly, the 501st has a large profit margin to cover operational costs to to its own merchandising. They sell shirts, hats, lanyards, custom coins, patches, etc. Everything sold is regulated by the LC structure.

I give you this to consider.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Next

Return to Main Forum