Opening Ceremony for Ludi Piscatorii II

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Opening Ceremony for Ludi Piscatorii II

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:26 am

Curio Sal.

As Sacerdos to the Roman Republic, I completed the following rite on behalf of the Republic:

ABLUTIO:

Washing both hands in clean water and with toga in capite velato, pray:

May this water cast out all impurities from my substance as from lead to gold. May this water cleanse my body of impurities, as the rain cleanses the air. Purify my mind. Purify my body. Purify my heart. It is so.

Dry hands.

PRAEFATIO:

Mother Vesta, (adoratio gesture) and all the Gods which it is pious to summon, join together to attend to this humble ceremony. Grant that my work may rise with Your auspices. Fill my intentions with warmth and light. Remind me of the noble virtues. May you, mother Vesta, favor me. Aid me in all my daily tasks, and be benevolent and propitious to the Roman People, the Quirites, and to me, my family, and my household.

Light oil lamp or candle.
Incense coals are lit, if used.

Oh, Vesta mater, for this petition accept this offering of honeyed milk made as a libation before you, and upon your will make it so.

A libation of honeyed milk is poured in the focus of the altar.

May You be honored by this honeyed milk, and may You be strengthened by it.

Oh, Ianus (adoratio gesture), beginner of all things, I call upon you for this beginning of the Ludi Piscatorii. With You begins our prayers this day. May you favor my work and aid my task to communicate with yourself, Tiber pater, Volcanus, and all the Gods and Goddesses and for this petition may you accept this offering of wine made before you. Upon your will make it so.

A libation of wine is poured in the focus of the altar.

May You be honored by this wine, and may You be strengthened by it.

SALUTATIO:

O Volcanus (adoratio gesture), with venerating prayers I come before you on this Ludi Piscatorii as we honor Tiberinus, Father of the Tiber. Witness this ceremony in your name! I ask and beseech you to be benevolent and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, and to me, my family, and my household. I pray that you may be honored and strengthened by the sacrifice from these games and accept this offering of incense. Upon your will, make it so.

Frankincense is placed in the focus of the altar.

PRECATIO:

O Volcanus, Great Mulciber, we come before you to honor Tiberinus, he who saved the children of Rhea Silvia, whose offspring were Romulus and Remus, who their grandfather, Amulius, threw into the Tiber and who were save by his guiding hand. He, the Overseer of the Tiber, who also saved Horatus Cocles, when he defended the bridge into the city all by himself and at great odds, and he, who saved him and guided him to the safety of the shore, when the Romans destroyed the bridge behind him, and he leapt into the Tiber to return to the Eternal City.

O Volcanus, we greet you on this Ludi Piscatorii and ask that you accept this offering of fish. We make this offering to you to gain your favor in place of human souls and in place of ourselves, that You may in turn miraculously save us from the perils of the destructive fire of the Earth during this hot and dry season. We offer these fish, like those of ancient times having come from the Tiber whose waters were used to extinguish fires and, with your approval, were effective in preventing fires. Hear and protect us! May you preserve the health, safety and welfare of the people of Rome, the Quirites, and may you always remain benevolent and propitious to the people of Rome, the Quirites, and to me, my family and my household.

O Volcanus, or by whatsoever holy name it pleases You, from antiquity have You accepted the customary offerings of mankind, preserve in good faith the children of Romulus as ever You graced our ancestors and thus bless and accept these offerings I now make in sacrifice to You.

Let offerings be made to you with the appropriate sacrifice of a libation of wine, fish, and the sweet smell of Frankincense on the occasion of this Ludi Piscatorii, given to You in Your immortal name.

Raise each offering and present it to the deity so that the deity may bless it.

(Present Wine) Volcanus, to this same end I pray that You bless this wine in sacrifice.

(Present Fish) Volcanus, to this same end I pray that You bless this wine in sacrifice.

(Present Frankincense) Volcanus, to this same end I pray that You bless this incense in sacrifice.

Prepare the offerings for immolation by sprinkling them with mola salsa.

May you accept these offerings to be burnt whole for you in sacrifice.

IMMOLATIO:

O Volcanus, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice of this wine, and become favorable and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, and to me, my family and my household.

A libation of wine is placed in the focus of the altar.

May You accept this offering, and may this sacrifice pay appropriate tribute to You.

O Volcanus, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice of this fish, and become favorable and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, and to me, my family and my household.

Fish is placed in the focus of the altar. (I used salmon, which was later served for dinner at our Feast of Mens celebration).

May You accept this offering, and may this sacrifice pay appropriate tribute to You.

O Volcanus, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice of this incense, and become favorable and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, and to me, my family and my household.

REDDITIO:

O Volcanus, just as I have offered sacrifices and prayed to you with proper prayer, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with these sacrifices, and become benevolent and propitious to the Roman people, the Quirites, and to me, my family and my household.

It is so.

PIACULUM:

O Iane pater, and by whatever name I may call you, if anything in this ceremony was displeasing to you, with this incense I ask forgiveness and expiate my fault.

O Volcanus, and by whatever name I may call you, if anything in this ceremony was displeasing to you, with this incense I ask forgiveness and expiate my fault.

O Gods Immortal, by whatever name I may call you, if anything in this ceremony was displeasing to you, with this incense I ask forgiveness and expiate my fault.

O Vesta mater, and by whatever name I may call you, if anything in this ceremony was displeasing to you, with this incense I ask forgiveness and expiate my fault.

It is done!

Extinguish oil lamp/candle.

Optime Valete!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator