Ovatio P. Iunii Bruti Anouncement (June 1st)

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Ovatio P. Iunii Bruti Anouncement (June 1st)

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Z3CsvMa_d.jpg
Z3CsvMa_d.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 643 times

THE OVATIO FOR P. IUNIUS BRUTUS shall commence on the 1st of June. It will be games organized and payed for by P Iunius Brutus and his friends in comemoration of him winning the Corona Etrusca Triumphalis (which makes him currently the only candidate for the highest honor of the Republic, the Insignis Triumphalis). Being also a day of Mars, and being Mars the patron god of P. Brutus, the comemoration shall also include a rite to Mars.

Everyone who wishes to participate is invited to do so. A book shall be given as prize, a novel called "Let the Emperor Speak", by Allan Massie, focused on Caesar Augustus and his life.

I hope to see you all in the competitions! 1st of June!
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Re: Ovatio P. Iunii Bruti Anouncement (June 1st)

Postby Decimus Claudius Aquilinus » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Salvete,

Wasn't an armed conflict necessary for an ovatio? I thought that was a step below a triumph with the example of Crassius's ovatio after putting down a huge slave revolt (and crucifying thousands of captured combatants) coming to mind.

Valete,
DCA
Decimus Claudius Aquilinus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri May 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Decimus Claudius Aquilinus wrote:Salvete,

Wasn't an armed conflict necessary for an ovatio? I thought that was a step below a triumph with the example of Crassius's ovatio after putting down a huge slave revolt (and crucifying thousands of captured combatants) coming to mind.

Valete,
DCA

It was. But since we aren't going to war anytime soon we're adapting the tradition ^^ P. Brutus is the founder of our Republic and he just gained the second highest award we have (the Corona Etrusca Triumphalis) so we thought it was appropriate to call his comemotation an Ovatio.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Salvete Quirites!
I am with Claudius Aquilinus. This honor should be reserved for victorious generals, exempli gratia the general who will expell the saracens from Constantinople.
The corona triumphalis does not make honor to Iunius Brutus, it exposes him to ridicule from outsiders, just like we smile about Cassia and Paullus declaring themselves Augusti.
We need to maintain a certain serenity and realistic view of things. Iunius Brutus has achieved a lot, but his recognition needs to be appropriate and in proportion. I do not want him to be ridiculed.
Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Salvete Quirites!
I am with Claudius Aquilinus. This honor should be reserved for victorious generals, exempli gratia the general who will expell the saracens from Constantinople.
The corona triumphalis does not make honor to Iunius Brutus, it exposes him to ridicule from outsiders, just like we smile about Cassia and Paullus declaring themselves Augusti.
We need to maintain a certain serenity and realistic view of things. Iunius Brutus has achieved a lot, but his recognition needs to be appropriate and in proportion. I do not want him to be ridiculed.
Valete!
C. Florius Lupus

I think that is neither reasonable or true amice. These awards have been inspired by ancient military awards as a way to honor our legacy and heritage. They were created to echo the old honors of the past.

Regarding who should gain them, I believe it impossible that we as a group ever gain any real army or conduct any war. And with that these traditions die with those late generals...

For me if these traditions have the option to either die or be refitted, I prefer to refit them to current needs. The Corona Etrusca is reserved as the second highest honor of our Republic, the Insignis Triumphalis requires it for the candidate even to be considered and can only be given (can, not necessarily will!) every 10 years... The Senate needs to agree with it, the Awards Subcommittee needs to nominate them and the Censores mustn't be against it. So much is needed for this award to be given, precisely because we wanted to respect the gravity and greatness of it.

And for me if there is ONE person deserving of it here, it is Brutus. The man is our Pater Patriae. He basically is THE reason the Republic even exists. He donated 10.000 dollars from his own pocket for its creation. He laid down the groundworks for our Declaration to exist. He created our organization. And even though he didn't conquer Gaul, for me that is worthy of an Ovation anyday. And that is why his friends decided to put Denarii together and organize games in his honor. Because he deserves it and as romans we Must show honor when honor is due. We must celebrate the victories of our compatriots.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 27, 2017 5:05 pm

There is not the slightest doubt about the merits of Iunius Brutus. But I doubt that this is the optimal way to honor him for them.
We have to break out of this "virtual republic" thinking. We are living in a real world. Iunius Brutus will not get a triumph in this real world. Therefore this honor only makes fun of him, and this is something I do not like to see. It would be more appropriate to give him a backdoor access to the forum and the website just in case one day in the future, wants to hijack the Republic as it happened with Nova Roma. This would be something real.

Our Republic also does not need to have its own army to honor a successful general. We could honor any NATO general who crushes the IS (who formally declared war on Rome in 2014) or a Greek general who reconquers Constantinople. These would be real world events. If we want to be a real world organization, we have to deal with real world events.
If we want to honor Brutus, it must be through some honors, which have real effect.

Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sat May 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Curio Lupe Sal.

I fail to see how this makes fun of or dishonors him, amice. In the real world, when someone accomplishes something, they are honored with a party or a celebration. Even for minor events such as getting promoted at work, a person's child doing well in a class, etc. These events are honored by a celebration. Currently we exist in the online fora primarily. We have Sarmatia established strongly as a province, but all others are lacking currently. This is a way to honor his accomplishment in a way that everyone can participate in. He's not marching through the city dressed in his toga praetexta, as a recipient of a classical Ovatio would. And frankly holding honorary games in someone's honor is much less laughable than someone claiming the title of Augusta/ Augustus.

Optime Vale!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 pm

Agreed Curio. And besides, your assumption that we will never witness a Triumph seems to me pessimism on your part my friend. All we need is reenacting legions, a good festival and the right aparatus to do so. As communities grow, I wouldn't be surprised if a prominent member of the local community receives an Ovatio on a festival day. For yhese things, all that is needed is a local community. And that is what we are trying to build. But for now Brutus will have to be content with forum games. But maybe not for long :)
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Bene, let us hope then that one day we will see a real triumph...
... and that we do not get sarcastic comments in certain Facebook groups about the corona triumphalis for our founder.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I have heard sarcastic comments about the very founding of our organization. Since day 1 people have been maliciously trying to mock our attempts and attack us amice. When it is understandable we take it as criticism and try to improve, but in many cases it is just malice of people wanting to put us down. I wouldn't be worried about that if I were you. I myself don't. There will always be attacks. Shouldnt stop us from having fun and honoring our people :)
Gaius Curtius Philo

Next

Return to Main Forum