PUBLIC DISCUSSION: Senate meeting (Session VI)

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

PUBLIC DISCUSSION: Senate meeting (Session VI)

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 am

Salvete Cives!

The Senate's 6th Session is from May 18 to May 31, 2017.

The debate phase will proceed from the May 18th until May 25th.
Voting is scheduled to begin May 26th and close on May 31th.

In accordance with our Mos Maiorum, I hereby open this public space for the citizenry to debate, if they so wish, this sixth session of the Senate.

The agenda items have been publish in the announcement here:
http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1976#p9580.

This session has been called by Caeso Cispius Laevus Praetor Peregrinus to discuss the reformation of the Collegii and Societates. These entities are at the heart of our Republic. Some of the proposals would radically change life in their fora.

Your participation is valuable and I urge all citizens follow the Senatorial Proceedings at the link below and to speak their minds in this thread on any item they wish!

The Senate: Curia http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 proceedings may be viewed by all logged in Citizens.

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
Tribunus Plebis Minor
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Re: PUBLIC DISCUSSION: Senate meeting (Session VI)

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Salvete Cives

Please respond to this thread for Collegium Lex discussion.

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
Tribunus Plebis Minor
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue May 30, 2017 3:10 am

My answer here will refer to the previous thread,which is now locked.

Yes, I repeat, I have checked, that I am listed as collegium leader.

Consul, of course you can edit the member list. It is because you are consul, probably not because you are collegium leader.
If we assume that there was so far no new application for membership, then indeed I would not have received a notification. This remains to be seen.
Nevertheless more controls are necessary for the collegia to be independent. We need a collegium control panel. There may be old membership applications that were not processed yet, like it was in my case. The collegia need to have the power to expell members, to setup polls and to limit access to their forum to collegium members. Even if they decide not to do so, they need at least the theoretical ability to do so.
The technical prerequisites must be created first, only then a theoretical debate, which of these technical possibilities should be used, makes sense.

And it is not that I did not ask these technical questions first. I asked them to the Curule Aedile and in the main forum, but I did not get any answer to either of these inquiries. It was the logical conclusion to assume that there is either no technical answer or nobody knows about it.
Apart from the control panel for collegia we will also need a technical introduction or a manual for the magistrates, when they take office, so they can answer questions and know how to do things. In our democratical system even people with limited technical skills might get elected into an office, where such skills are necessary. This is a special situation, which comes with our organizational structure and needs to be considered.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 am

Curio Lupe Sal..

I hope this finds you well, amice, in this frustrating situation for you. As Consul, I do not have any control over the Collegia and Societates. This falls squarely on the shoulders of the Aediles. I cannot remove any members from a collegium I am not a leader of, nor can I appoint any leaders for the same reason. This was part of the separation of powers in our government. So the only one I ever received notifications for are the Collegia and Societates I am leader for such as Collegium Legis Romanae and Societas Gladiatoria.

As per a collegium control panel, this also exists on our main page (not the forum). If you would like instruction on how to access and use this system, all you need to do is ask. I would include this in this current message, but I am strapped for time tonight as my children keep trying to escape from their beds. As far as I know, polls can also be set up through the forum, so long as you are the designated leader for the collegium. Again, these are things that can be taught. Perhaps something that can be included in an introductory leader package for all new collegial leaders? As per the limiting access to Collegium members only, that is something that we can discuss with the Aranearius to do so. Something akin to how the Senate or Comitia Curiata works as. You can read it, but can only comment if you're a member with those permissions of access?

As per the matter of old applications, this is another matter that can be visited as it's something that I've also pondered as a Collegial leader. This should be available to collegial leaders, as not all applications are going to be answered in an expedient manner 100% of the time. The collegial control panel could use some updates, of that I am in agreement with you on.

I apologize for missing your inquiries before. I just recently finished up college, which was taking up the majority of my time unfortunately. I would have answered these inquiries then and there, but alas we cannot change the past so why waste time on it? I shall do my best to answer any questions you have, either through the forum or through Facebook Messenger (as we're friends on Facebook as well).

In light of this, I propose an experiment. I shall carry this event out immediately. I shall resign as a member of Collegium Philosiphiae/ Philosiphicum immediately, and then resubmit a request to join. If you don't receive the request, we know there's an issue that needs resolving. If you do receive it, then we know that it's just an absence of people requesting to join. I truly hope for the latter of the two, amice.

Optime Vale!

L. Aurelius Curio

UPDATE: I have resigned and sent my new request to join application. I await your approval currently.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 am

Salve Consul!

Okay I received the e-mail with the link. So this works.
But you have to admit that a one-time link cannot be the proper way to manage a collegium. I could have easily missed the email or it could end up in the spam folder without being noticed.
If the page with the button where I can resign as leader or invite other leaders is supposed to be the Collegium control panel, then it is insufficient. I cannot see old applications anywhere. If we want to become attractive for other Roman communities like Templum.org, then we must allow more technical control options. Customizing the header of the subforum would probably be very important for some groups. These technical things need to be worked on, not so much writing regulations.
I remember we offered once a subforum to RPR and they refused our offer. Given the limited control they would have, this is understandable. Now they have a formal cooperation with RA and Cassia Longina instead. This is not a good development for us.
Thank you anyway for answering my concerns
Vale!
C. Flor. Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:05 am

Salvete Cives!

The 6th Senate Session is now closed. Your participation was valuable to the Senatorial Proceedings, thank you.

The questions put before the Senate have not been resolved. Public discussion of the Collegium and Societies will continue here: http://www.romanrepublic.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2015

In accordance with our Mos Maiorum, I hereby present the attached report of the sixth session of the Senate.

SenateSessionVIReport.pdf
(96.94 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
Tribunus Plebis Minor
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Return to Main Forum