A letter to the people on the recent collegia edict vetoes

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

Re: A letter to the people on the recent collegia edict vetoes

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 16, 2017 12:19 am

Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:Brutus Cen. Sal.

I've been asked to offer my input on this matter.

I agree with 90% of what Praetor Laevus has done regarding the Collegia. The system is not functioning well and his plan was sound. He did speak to me several times throughout.

I disagree with the veto. It was heavy handed and not helpful.

I think there was some minor flaws in the edicts issued by Praetor Laevus concerning bylaw suspension. But upon reviewing the disputed illegal aspects of some bylaws I think for select Collegium this was appropriate.

Overall these vetoes have set reform backwards. They should all be reversed and the Senste given control to discuss future reforms to improve the Collegia system IMHO. This is the most fair way to address the multiple concerns and strengthen the cultural activities of the RR.

You mean to say that the Senate does not already have the power to do so, Brute? Do explain to me why. Because as far as I know, if this is simply added to the discussion topics on a Senate meeting the Senate could resolve this easily and put it up for the People to ratify. Am I mistaken?
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 am

Gaius Curtius Philo wrote:
Publius Iunius Brutus wrote:Brutus Cen. Sal.

I've been asked to offer my input on this matter.

I agree with 90% of what Praetor Laevus has done regarding the Collegia. The system is not functioning well and his plan was sound. He did speak to me several times throughout.

I disagree with the veto. It was heavy handed and not helpful.

I think there was some minor flaws in the edicts issued by Praetor Laevus concerning bylaw suspension. But upon reviewing the disputed illegal aspects of some bylaws I think for select Collegium this was appropriate.

Overall these vetoes have set reform backwards. They should all be reversed and the Senste given control to discuss future reforms to improve the Collegia system IMHO. This is the most fair way to address the multiple concerns and strengthen the cultural activities of the RR.

You mean to say that the Senate does not already have the power to do so, Brute? Do explain to me why. Because as far as I know, if this is simply added to the discussion topics on a Senate meeting the Senate could resolve this easily and put it up for the People to ratify. Am I mistaken?

SALVETE!

Today I spent some time on an estate that raises lamas. They are dumb brutish beasts. The smell is horrible. Just miserable creatures. One of these daft creatures got stuck in a puddle while trying to drink. It moaned like it was in heat. Then a second got thirsty. It went to the puddle to drink the filthy contents. It ignored the pathetic cries of the first now covered in reeking feces and filth. Daft beast just wanted to drink! Damned be his drowning partner. So the hideous creature went into the puddle and soon got stuck. Then both moaned together a horrible snorting mess of mud and mucus. A miserable sight but well deserved by these stupid creatures.

Dear duckies, Consul Curio and Praetor Laevus, you both reek like grotesque lamas. I leave you both in the mud.

If I was Consul, and thank the Gods I'm not, I would never have issued a veto. Why? Because it's not needed and just inflames people. Veto or no veto the Senate needs to pass a lex on comprehensive reform of the Collegia. This is a good example why ruling by decrees has limitations. Dumb lamas.

Anyways, I will work with Praetor Celsus or Consul Philo to introduce a comprehensive collegia reform package. Next senate meeting. It will define what collegia are, what is meant by independence, what happens to poorly written bylaws and leaderless groups. I will also introduce new incentives to generate activity within the collegia and stimulate the denarii economy of activity.

You lamas enjoy your mud bath. But Gods, keep the moaning down. ;)

VALETE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Decimus Claudius Aquilinus » Fri May 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Salvete,

I do not understand how some support highly regulated collegia at this stage and wonder why a few of those are not so active. Its not for the lack of laws or oversight... I am probably not the only one who gets get put off with people trying make all big sounding laws any chance they get - maybe to puff out their chest and show their mighty power. The calls for reform in this case ring hollow - it is (at this time) just about a sub-forum. Yes, a sub-forum! Why not let it grow organically through people's interest instead of superimposing unnecessary regulations? Since I missed out on the last elections and dont have the required status I am not able to stand for being co-leader in the one on travel. Hopefully it doesn't get deleted due to some legislative posturing, though, since I would like to connect with fellow travellers of the Roman empire.

Valete,
DCA
Decimus Claudius Aquilinus

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Salve,

Aquillinus, +1

P.S. Yeah, I am talking about the same! (=

Vale bene!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 20, 2017 3:30 am

Decimus Claudius Aquilinus wrote:I do not understand how some support highly regulated collegia at this stage and wonder why a few of those are not so active. Its not for the lack of laws or oversight... I am probably not the only one who gets get put off with people trying make all big sounding laws any chance they get - maybe to puff out their chest and show their mighty power. The calls for reform in this case ring hollow - it is (at this time) just about a sub-forum. Yes, a sub-forum! Why not let it grow organically through people's interest instead of superimposing unnecessary regulations?

Recte dicis, Claudi Aquiline!
You are a voice of reason. This should be a non-issue and our unnecessary bureaucracy turns it into a major drama.
I also do not understand why you should not be able to run for co-leader of the Collegium Peregrinorum. What are the requirements that you do not fulfill?

Vale!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Previous

Return to Main Forum