EDICTUM CENSORUM: On Collegia rights and magistrates powers

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sun May 14, 2017 6:15 pm

I. According to LEX CURIATORUM: On the Censores, the following is issued

a. Roman history and the provisions of the Mos Maiorum show that legal citizens' communities (including the form of collegia) have the right to self-organization, self-government and self-dissolution. Violation of these basic and fundamental rules is a violation of the Mos Maiorum, and should be blamed. Separate legal acts (edicts) issued by a number of magistrates directly violate the rights of legal citizens' communities (including the form of collegia) to self-organization, self-government and self-dissolution, thus violating the Mos Maiorum.

b. Given the above, it necessary to note the following:

i. Public condemnation of the actions stated in I-a of this edict
ii. Citizens' communities (including the form of collegia) should not have government intervention unless:

1) to enforce the Laws of the Republic
2) to enforce the bylaws of the collegium
3) by request of the leadership of the citizens' communitу

iii. If a citizen (including magistrate) violates the provisions set forth in paragraph I-b-ii, it should be assumed that such a person has violated the Mos Maiorum and Censorial Nota must be applied against him.

II. This edict is effective immediately. Another Censor may revoke this Edictum Censorum at their independent discretion.

Issued by Censor, T. Fl. Severus
Pr. Id. Mai. L. Curtio L. Aurelio cos. MMDCCLXX a.u.c.
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Re: EDICTUM CENSORUM: On Collegia rights and magistrates powers

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Salvete Quirites!

Now that the independence of the collegia has been fully established, I would like to propose an idea to the censors and the Senate.

Could we separate the process of signing up for the forum and the application of citizenship? If I am not mistaken, both things are technically already separate. I have to sign into my forum account with my user name and into the citizen account with my e-mail address.
If forum participation and citizenship are fully separate and membership in the collegia is extended to non-citizens, i.e. any forum member, then we could start a second push to offer our cooperation to the RPR and the non-corporative NR. As I understand it, their main concern was that the use of our forum required signing up as a citizen. If this obstacle is eliminated, and now with the collegia having full independence from the magistrates, I see no further problem why they should not take advantage of our infrastructure. Our service is far superior to Facebook or Yahoo groups and it is especially aimed at Roman-themed communities. So they could simply open a sub-forum for a Collegium called "Nova Roma" or "Res Publica Romana" and use it as platform for their community. It would bring us all closer together.
If citizenship and forum account are completely separate, we could approach them again with our offer. We only need to make clear to them that it is not a take-over attempt, that they would not have to fear interference of our magistrates and that they would only deal with our technical staff (magister aranearius).

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon May 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Salve Lupe,

I do not agree to that. The RR asks for VERY little to give their services. All we ask is for the person to register as a citizen, which is an easy task that costs nothing. For me that is a sign of trust that they would owe for that service...

Vale,
Philo
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Mon May 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Sal.

I think most people don't understand what collegia are in the Republic.

Collegia are independent groups that have voluntary affiliation and representation within the Roman Republic. The terms of that affiliation are governed by the operating procedures set by the Roman Republic and the willingness of a group to agree to these terms. The "bylaws" of the collegia are the terms by which they will interact within the Roman Republic. Outside of the Republic, they may have a different structure altogether.

So citizens of the Roman Republic are reflected as "members" of the collegia. But this does not have to take into account the internally recognized membership by the independent group. Any group can set up its own membership application system, forum and other things. I think most collegia should form organizational makeup independent of the Republic if they truly want to be independent groups.

For instance, imagine Nova Roma formed a collegium in the Republic. The bylaws of the collegium would probably not be the bylaws recognized by Nova Roma internally. The bylaws of the collegium recognized by the Republic would only govern Nova Roma's activity within the Republic. The leaders of this theoretical collegium could be any citizen who is a member of both groups. These collegium leaders would be the recognized representatives of Nova Roma within the Republic, but maybe not the consules of Nova Roma.

By independence we mean we won't interfere with external affairs of a group. But upon forming a relationship with another group and inviting them into the Republic, the terms of this relationship should not be open-ended with total control given to the non-Republic party. The Republic should set terms by the operating procedures. The independent party should set their terms in their collegium bylaws. Both sets of terms should be in agreement. A group is free to come and go from the Republic as they see fit if the terms are not agreeable. Likewise, the Roman Republic won't dictate the activities of a group outside of the Republic, e.g. a Nova Roma Collegium, as long as the basic terms of the relationship between the Republic and said group is agreeable. If not then either party is free to terminate the relationship. That is what true independence means.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Praetor Peregrinus
Praetor Peregrinus

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Salvete,

I am deeply and sincerely convinced of the correctness, timeliness and necessity of this my edictum, but taking into account the request from our tribunes, I revoke the present edictum in the interest of Peace and public consent, вeing confident that this matter will be correctly discussed in the Senate. I stand firmly to what is expressed in the Edictum and that the only reason of the revocation is my deep respect to the office of the Tribuneship and my good will in seeing this be resolved in an amicable manner.

Valete bene,
T. Fl. Severus
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Return to Main Forum