Improving the way collegia are founded

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Re: Improving the way collegia are founded

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sat May 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Well, let's figure this out. But we will start from the other end. What does the Republic actually offer to someone who wants to incorporate their organization (in the form of a collegium) into our platform? Actually nothing. An exception to this is only that there is access to the auditoria, which is 100% composed of people who somehow are fond of Rome. At the same time, there are social networks with hundreds of millions of users, and among these millions are many more people who are fascinated by Rome, especially when analyzing your interests, social networks themselves offer interesting groups for you. Thus, the search for like-minded people is much easier on the platform of social networks, and the active members of such a group there will be found much easier and there will be more. Given this, I'm just wondering why even our citizens, as a communicative platform for their groups (including collegia) should choose our forum, and not create groups on Facebook, where administration is much simpler, there are more people, and most importantly there are no obsessive rules and magistrates?

I lead to the fact that we should be sincerely grateful to those people who, as a communicative platform for their groups (panels), choose our forum, and not any third-party resource. The forum, in contrast to the static site, is the dynamic face of our Republic. An outsider who is going to become a citizen should see activity at least here, because at that moment he still does not understand that the forum is only the tip of the iceberg and that a lot of work is carried out within the Republic that is not conducted online, it is conducted in real life.

Therefore, your question, Philo, is not at all essential, given the general problem. We are still paying for the Forum, this is one of the items of the Republic's budget expenditures. The volume of space that the subforum of the ordinary collegium occupies is simply scanty, insignificant. 20 or 30 subforums for the collegia at the Forum will cost for us nothing, no any single extra penny. In addition, let's talk honestly, in the modern world even a junior schoolchild can freely, and most importantly free of charge, create a forum for their needs, but this will be a forum on a third-party platform, not on our platform.

Taking into account all of the above, I want to note once again that we should be grateful to those collegia that use our forum for their needs. We must attract people to use our forum, and not an external resource that they can use even more easily. On the contrary, we should consider how to offer more convenient bonuses and services. For example, except for the forum, this is a domain name (xxx.romanrepublic.org) , a small place on the hosting, etc. We should interest people, attract, offer something that others can not.

P.S. At the forum, key, active and numerous collegia will be visible in the main section of Forum as now is, and the others will be available in the "Other Collegia" subsection as subforums, so as not to overload the main page with a long list.

Vale!
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Titus Flavius Severus wrote:
P.S. At the forum, key, active and numerous collegia will be visible in the main section of Forum as now is, and the others will be available in the "Other Collegia" subsection as subforums, so as not to overload the main page with a long list.

Vale!

This is a VERY good compromise amice. You have convinced me to go in the direction you propose and will support you on it

I suggest that you, as Censor, make an Edict stating that it is your interpretation of the Mos Maiorum that the Collegia should not be delt with directly by our magistrates without being asked to by said Collegia. And that doing otherwise would be subject to a Nota Censoria. This may initiate a good precedent and change the current tide of government interventionalism.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 am

Titus Flavius Severus wrote:Well, let's figure this out. But we will start from the other end. What does the Republic actually offer to someone who wants to incorporate their organization (in the form of a collegium) into our platform? Actually nothing. An exception to this is only that there is access to the auditoria, which is 100% composed of people who somehow are fond of Rome. At the same time, there are social networks with hundreds of millions of users, and among these millions are many more people who are fascinated by Rome, especially when analyzing your interests, social networks themselves offer interesting groups for you. Thus, the search for like-minded people is much easier on the platform of social networks, and the active members of such a group there will be found much easier and there will be more. Given this, I'm just wondering why even our citizens, as a communicative platform for their groups (including collegia) should choose our forum, and not create groups on Facebook, where administration is much simpler, there are more people, and most importantly there are no obsessive rules and magistrates?

SALVE!

My Censor, you sell us short. There are several advantages for a group to form a collegia and therefore associate with the RR.

- It allows for a transition from online only to offline activity.
- It provides denarii incentives for activity.
- It provides possible dollar funds from the Senate for projects.
- It provides a conflict mediation process.
- It provides a proper election system.

These are just some of the benefits off the top of my head!

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Bene dicis, Flavi Severe!
We should see ourselves as a Roman themed social network. Facebook and Yahoo do not charge for their services either.

Something seems to be wrong with Furius Camillus' last post. It is not his original post, but an answer to his own post. Is there a technical problem? Or did our Censor click the wrong button ("edit" instead of "quote"?
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sun May 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Salve,

Tribune, your arguments about the advantages are very relative. In addition, the benefits you have mentioned have a relationship mainly to citizens and will be completely incomprehensible to those who are just looking for a platform for their projects, that is, for potential citizens.

In order not to seem unfounded, I propose to conduct a simple experiment.

The overwhelming majority of the population of the Province of Sarmatia are members of one reenactment community - Leg. XI C.P.F. I am the head of this community. We wanted to register our community as a board for a long time, but we had difficulties due to the fact that the Collegium Militarum was created, so that the plan proposed by us was rejected, although we turned to the very first registration for this. Now, the idea of ​​registering a new collegium has again become relevant among Sarmatians.

In this regard, I suggest to you, Tribune, in support of your words, to convince me to register the collegium on the platform of the Roman Republic, and not on a third-party resource such as Facebook or other.

For this, I will comment on the arguments you have already given.

- It allows for a transition from online only to offline activity.

Honestly, I did not notice such a special mechanism, but let's say it's true. However, did not you think that some people are not interested in it at all, say "Collegia of Computer Games", it can unite people who participate in computer games teams, represent our name in various computer games. They are not at all interested in transferring their activities from online to offline.

Moreover, ironically, this argument does not make sense for our reenactment community, since all our activities take place exclusively in the real world, in the online world we have one group in a Russian-speaking social network, and this is more than enough for us coz almost everyone knows each other personally, and for communication or coordination, we have enough ordinary phone calls.

So this argument, you did not convince me and did not attract, it's not interesting to us.

- It provides denarii incentives for activity.

We buy items for historical reconstruction for real money, with the same real money we pay rent of premises, transportation, utility bills and electricity, etc. None of this we can not buy for denarii. Denarii, in general for our community, is completely useless. Moreover, denarii can not be converted into real money.

So this argument, you did not convince me and did not attract, it's not interesting to us.

- It provides possible dollar funds from the Senate for projects.

This is a good argument. However, we both know what this amount will be, in other words, it will be, to put it mildly, rather "small." I doubt that with this money I will be able to provide at least one legionary with the minimum necessary set. That is, the other 20 people will have to use the platform of our Republic, only because in the long term the Republic will help half dress one legionary?

- It provides a conflict mediation process.

We have our own mechanisms for resolving conflicts, which have proved themselves well over the past ten years. Nevertheless, it would be quite interesting for me to see how the magistrate, who does not speak Russian or Ukrainian, and does not understand the specifics of what is happening, would solve the problems between the Russian and Ukrainian who are members of our club, and do not speak English (=

- It provides a proper election system.

We already have our own electoral system, again it is very simple and transparent, we have been using this system for years. However, if we still have to impose some other system, I'm afraid from a relative argument this argument will turn into a concrete negative.

What other arguments do you bring, Tribune? (=

Vale bene,
T. Fl. Severus
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Bene dicis, Flavi Severe!
We should see ourselves as a Roman themed social network. Facebook and Yahoo do not charge for their services either.

Salve Lupe!

Thank you for your good words. I am glad that our Republic, this unique community of people, the Romans, who, despite differences on a number of other issues, can, nevertheless, find common solutions in free discussion and put at the forefront the good of Roman society as a whole.

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Something seems to be wrong with Furius Camillus' last post. It is not his original post, but an answer to his own post. Is there a technical problem? Or did our Censor click the wrong button ("edit" instead of "quote"?

Unfortunately, this is my mistake. I'm glad that you paid attention to it in time, so I was able to completely bring everything in its original form, without any damage to anyone. Thank you!

Vale bene,
T. Fl. Severus
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Mon May 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Sal.

I post this message here as it is relevant.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1967#p9530

Very few people seem to understand how collegia are intended to work. It is better to think of the Roman Republic - Collegium interactions as a mutual partnership towards spreading Romanitas worldwide. Cooperation is intended to increase collaboration and resource allotment on both sides. But the Roman Republic does not unilaterally provide a service to other groups. The RR provides an equal partnership towards furthering the goals of the founding declaration.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Praetor Peregrinus
Praetor Peregrinus

Previous

Return to Main Forum