Annual Confrence of the Roman Republic

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Annual Confrence of the Roman Republic

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Salvete!

I will organize an North American conference for the Roman Republic in November 2017 or January 2018.

I would like to found a Collegium to assist with the organization of this event. So any citizen who is able and willing to help me organize this group would be appreciated.

I would also like to get an idea of interest and possible locations.

If you would attend this conference please fill out this poll to help us determine a location:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12874355

Valete

Valeria
Procula Valeria Messalla

Re: Annual Confrence of the Roman Republic

Postby Procula Valeria Messalla » Tue May 02, 2017 3:21 am

Ave Quaestor Laenas!

Could you make a web page and logo for this project?

Maybe we can call the event Concilium Romanum: Americae Septentrionalis (Roman Council: North America)?
Procula Valeria Messalla

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Tue May 02, 2017 5:32 am

Procula Valeria Messalla wrote:Ave Quaestor Laenas!

Could you make a web page and logo for this project?

Maybe we can call the event Concilium Romanum: Americae Septentrionalis (Roman Council: North America)?

Ave Valeria!

Always a pleasure, this is based on your sketch. I sent you a private message regarding payment.

Do let me know if you want edits.

CR LOGO.png
CR LOGO.png (46.49 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Tue May 02, 2017 5:18 pm

L. Livius quaest. cons. Valeriae Messallae sal.

I was pondering just such an idea the other day, and am very glad to see another Quirite thinking along similar lines!

Here are a few of my own thoughts, for what they are worth:

• I think the word concilium is a bit too formal for what you have in mind here. Conventus would be better, in my opinion. Conventus Romanus —The Roman Conference. Depending on what metropolis ends up hosting, a nice urban adjective can be added. E.g., Conventus Romanus Torontinus, or Conventus Romanus Chicagiensis. Mmm ... that's some nice Latin right there. :P
  • Also, for this sort of project (and your templum, as well), you probably want to set up a sodalitas rather than a collegium. Collegia are for stable subcommunities, while sodalitates are for collaborative projects. Plus, they're far less regulated than collegia! I'll keep an eye out if you establish one for organizing this convention.
  • If this project gains traction, it should not just be a "Res Publica Romana" thing. Every possibly interested group should be invited: legionary re-enactors, academics, Latinists, other Roman communities (NR, RPR, etc.), artists, booksellers, Greek/Italian cultural groups, vendors/manufacturers of Greco-Roman goods, &c., &c.
I will keep an eager eye on any progress you make with this project!

Vale.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Lucius Livius Seneca wrote:L. Livius quaest. cons. Valeriae Messallae sal.

I was pondering just such an idea the other day, and am very glad to see another Quirite thinking along similar lines!

Here are a few of my own thoughts, for what they are worth:

• I think the word concilium is a bit too formal for what you have in mind here. Conventus would be better, in my opinion. Conventus Romanus —The Roman Conference. Depending on what metropolis ends up hosting, a nice urban adjective can be added. E.g., Conventus Romanus Torontinus, or Conventus Romanus Chicagiensis. Mmm ... that's some nice Latin right there. :P
  • Also, for this sort of project (and your templum, as well), you probably want to set up a sodalitas rather than a collegium. Collegia are for stable subcommunities, while sodalitates are for collaborative projects. Plus, they're far less regulated than collegia! I'll keep an eye out if you establish one for organizing this convention.
  • If this project gains traction, it should not just be a "Res Publica Romana" thing. Every possibly interested group should be invited: legionary re-enactors, academics, Latinists, other Roman communities (NR, RPR, etc.), artists, booksellers, Greek/Italian cultural groups, vendors/manufacturers of Greco-Roman goods, &c., &c.
I will keep an eager eye on any progress you make with this project!

Vale.

Fully in favor. Nice to see one of our grammatici helping us with the latin in our community ^^
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister