Interesting Site Near Rome Now Open to the Public

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Interesting Site Near Rome Now Open to the Public

Postby Quadratus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Salvete!

Today I had the pleasure of participating with two others in ritual offerings to Juno Sospita in her temple above Lanuvium. Most noteworthy is the fact that the temple proper has only just been opened to the public. It is a quiet place with wonderful views towards Rome and towards the sea. Anyone in the vicinity should be sure to venture up to the site. It's only a short walk from the center of town. There is also a pleasant archaeological museum in town and (surprise) admission is free. It may be reached by way of the Roma - Velletri train line (3€ each way).

Valete!
C. Claudius Quadratus
Quadratus
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia

Re: Interesting Site Near Rome Now Open to the Public

Postby Servius Villius Ruga » Wed May 03, 2017 8:34 am

Salve!

This sounds amazing! How long did the entire event last? If I ever get the chance to go, I would hope it'd be as thoughtful as possible. Not just another tourist attraction! Regardless, thanks for sharing! I'll have to check it out some day.

Vale!
VINCAM SIC REM PUBLICAM ROMANAM VIVAT!
Servius Villius Ruga

Re: Interesting Site Near Rome Now Open to the Public

Postby Quadratus » Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Salve!

We were at the site for a little over an hour. The ritual itself was only a few minutes. In all that time only two other people visited the temple. It is definitely off the beaten path and not yet overrun with tourists. Another interesting place is Veii which we visited today. An oasis of tranquility only a mile away from a busy small town. Be prepared to walk in the woods and at the edge of a wheat field. Make a loud noise and a hundred birds will emerge from the field. Last time I was there was 20 years ago. Hasn't changed much except for some areas being fenced off and a gate-keeper charging 2€ a head. There was a similar lack of visitors.

Vale!
Quadratus
Quadratus

Return to Main Forum