Hodie Parilia est. Happy Birthday Roma!

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Hodie Parilia est. Happy Birthday Roma!

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Salvete Cives Romani,

Today, April 21, is the festival of Parilia, Rome's Birthday. Today let us set aside our differences and come together to celebrate that which brings us together, Romanitas. Although we may each have a different idea of what that means to us, together we are more than the sum of these parts. Please join in on this celebration with thanks and praise for what Rome has given us in 2770 years and yet to come.

Roma Condita Est!

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
Tribunus Plebis
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Re: Hodie Parilia est. Happy Birthday Roma!

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

L. Livius quaest. omnibus Quiritibus in Foro s.p.d.

In honour of this most august day, I present the account of Rome's foundation written by my noble ancestor, T. Livius. Given the vicissitudes sweeping the Forum at present, I think it worth remembering and reflecting upon the ominous circumstances from which sprang the Eternal City.

Ab Urbe Condita Liber I.6-8 wrote:Romulus and Remus were seized with the desire to found a city in the region where they had been exposed and brought up. Since the brothers were twins, and respect for their age could not determine between them, it was agreed that the gods who had those places in their protection should choose by augury who should give the new city its name, who should govern it when built. Romulus took the Palatine for his augural quarter, Remus the Aventine.

Remus is said to have been the first to receive an augury, from the flight of six vultures. The omen had been already reported when twice that number appeared to Romulus. Thereupon each was saluted king by his own followers, the one party laying claim to the honour from priority, the other from the number of the birds. They then engaged in a battle of words and, angry taunts leading to bloodshed, Remus was struck down in the affray. The commoner story is that Remus leaped over the new walls in mockery of his brother, whereupon Romulus in great anger slew him, and in menacing wise added these words withal, “So perish whoever else shall leap over my walls!” Thus Romulus acquired sole power, and the city, thus founded, was called by its founder's name.

When Romulus had duly attended to the worship of the gods, he called the people together and gave them the rules of law, since nothing else but law could unite them into a single body politic.

Valete maxime.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Re: Hodie Parilia est. Happy Birthday Roma!

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

a free contribution for the RR

Lucius Metilius Niger

Return to Main Forum