Consular Address on Magistrates

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Consular Address on Magistrates

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:47 am

L. Curio Omnibus Sal.

Recently there has been much discussion on the events that transpired between C. Cassia Longina and Ti. Cilnius Maecenas. This has brought up the discussion on the magistrates and our duty to the people who elected us. This sentiment doesn't only extend to those who voted in favor of our appointment, but also those who voted against. We are representatives of all people of this Republic, for better or for worse.

That being said, our posts are not political bargaining chips. They are a solemn duty, one to be taken seriously and upheld whenever possible. We magistrates are supposed to be the best of our citizens, those who uphold the laws and virtues of our ancestors. This is a duty not to be taken lightly by any means. We owe our dedication to this Republic, as we swore to do.

This sentiment goes out to all members of any post within our Republic. Scriba are there to assist those who appointed them. Procuratores owe their time to their citizens, to build their provinces to greatness. Collegial leaders need to always be seeking to find new ways to improve their collegia. And main magistrates (Quaestores, Aediles, Praetores, and Consuls) owe their dedication to all citizens of the Republic.

That being said, I ask fides of our citizens, to trust in our decisions. I am not asking to blindly follow, but to trust that when we take action it is for a purpose. If there was any hint of governmental abuse of power, I would be the first to rally to the cause to remove them, as that goes against every core principle I hold as Consul and as a Roman. There was recently an offhanded accusation made of this very instance, as that is why I mention this. When a Nota or Edictum is issued, it is usually for a purpose. So I ask that you place trust in those you elected, both that we do the right things and that we will be the stalwart defenders of the virtues here in the Republic.

Optime Valete!
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur