A Petition for the Reinstatement of Gaia Cassia Longina as a Citizen of the Res Publica Romana

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

A Petition for the Reinstatement of Gaia Cassia Longina as a Citizen of the Res Publica Romana

Postby Publius Sallustius Quadratus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am

Petition for the Reinstatement of Gaia Cassia Longina as a Citizen of the Res Publica Romana

Salvete Omnes.

I am Publius Sallustius Quadratus, a humble pleb. I am writing to you today on behalf of my friend Gaia Cassia Longina, who was until recently, a fellow citizen of our organization.

Some of you may have known Cassia from the excellent work she did during her time with Res Publica Romana as both Procurator of Provincia Italia and a Magistrate. Some of you may remember her from the Collegium Artium, of which she was the founder and one of the magistrates, and in which I had the honor to serve for a brief time as her scriba. Still others of you may remember her for her generous financial contributions to the Republic, made in part thanks to her even more generously linking her own dress and tunic making business to the Republic by donating a large percentage of her profits for the benefit of our organization and to promote our activities.

I remember Cassia’s place among us, not only as a generous financial benefactor to the Republic, nor as a Procurator or Magistrate or one who merely called herself a leader but as one who showed us her leadership in her example and as one of the most active members in the Res Publica Romana; in the forum, in supporting the ludi and multiple Collegia, and in promoting much of the activity in our online community. I remember Cassia as a knowledgeable and deeply spiritual Sacerdos of Liber. I also remember her as a bright ray of sunshine and a vibrant and positive charge of energy that inspired me to take part in Roman Republic and to contribute further to our great mission of restoring Rome to its former glory. I remember her as a leader in the Collegium Artium, who organized elections, built a separate webpage and facilitated planning for future activities that would bring honor to Rome and the Roman Republic.

I remember her also as the very talented, intelligent and kind person whose reputation has most unfairly and unfortunately been viciously and mercilessly attacked and whose good name has been maliciously dragged through the mud these last few days, by her jealous enemies here.

I am fully aware of the obligations she had to the organization, not only in an informal sense but in a legal sense as well, and I do not defend her action of abruptly resigning from her offices and citizenship. I agree with those who say she was too hasty to leave our company and I wish she had not done so.

I also believe however that she was most unfairly targeted on numerous occasions with personal attacks to her character, her sacra privata, and with malicious ad hominem attacks against her personally over matters of academic disagreement in both the forum of RR.org and on Facebook.

I need not name her attackers as they know who they are, and those who cannot see this directly will surely be shown by their friends and allies. This does not concern me.

What concerns me is the future of this organization. Can the organization go on without Cassia? Yes, of course it can and it will, if she is not reinstated. However, I feel the loss of Cassia is a great loss of a great Roman and that without her contributions, and I do not speak of financial contributions but of her many other contributions, this organization will not be as great as it can be.

Cassia made a mistake. She acted hastily. She was deeply wounded emotionally. She had been bullied and repeatedly attacked verbally. She felt ignored and she felt that the magistrates were not giving her very serious complaints their due. She felt that they didn’t care and she saw her primary attacker, rather than receiving punishment for very clearly flouting the Mos Maiorum and the Declaration of the Res Publica on more than one occasion, receive reward instead.

I have seen that magistrates have made statements to the contrary. I do not know if she made the complaints that she should have made, at the times that she should have made them. Perhaps she did not. I do not know if she provided the evidence that she should have provided, when she should have provided it. Again, perhaps she did not. What I do know from what I observed, was that her feelings of being harassed, antagonized and publicly humiliated on a scale for which I believe the application of the term “personal vendetta” would be appropriate, were absolutely and completely valid and that her attackers were totally unjustified in what they said to her and of her in public fora.

Cassia has expressed regrets in her hasty departure from the Res Publica. She is willing to return and is willing to face the Nota issued against her. These things she has told me herself. She is even willing to pay a fine, although I personally believe she should be reinstated as a citizen and face a formal trial before having to face the punishment of the Nota.

She will accept reinstatement as a Plebeian and continue to support the Res Publica, to obey the laws and to uphold the Mos Maiorum, and all of this she has pledged to me as a trusted friend.

I know that I am not her only friend and ally here. I know that many others among you have worked with Cassia and found her to be a great, true and loyal supporter of this organization in the past. I know that there are others among you who know that Cassia has worked to represent the highest of Romanitas in the past.

Who among us can say that we are perfect in all that we do? Who among us can say “I am a perfect Roman?” None. Not a single one of us. We all make mistakes. We are all flawed. No one is without some vice and no one is incapable of error.

Cassia too is only mortal, as are we all. Cassia too is flawed, as she too can admit, but Cassia too has been a great citizen of this Res Publica and she is willing to return to help us build the Rome that we all know and love, if you, the citizens of our Republic would but speak in her favor now and advocate for her publicly, here, in the forum as you see me doing most earnestly.

Speak now, Romans. Say whatever you will of Cassia’s mistakes but speak truly also of the great things she has done in support of Roman Republic.

I call on you, if you are or have ever been a true friend to Cassia, and you know that Cassia is both a true friend to Rome and has been a true advocate, supporter and contributor to this organization, speak now and support this petition for the reinstatement of citizenship for C. Cassia Longina in Res Publica Romana.
P. Sallustius Quadratus
Publius Sallustius Quadratus
Governor of Mississippia Borealis
Governor of Mississippia Borealis

Re: A Petition for the Reinstatement of Gaia Cassia Longina as a Citizen of the Res Publica Romana

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 am

Salve

I have to say you have inspired me to break my silence so I will issue this solitary statement. You, Quadratus have said more eloquently than I have in the past on the same subject. I do tend to let my sarcasam and passion speak for me when I feel passionately about something. I am more of a doer, not a talker. But you have laid it bare before is all eh! But there has been Wilford Brimley levels of salt being thrown around all week since this whole thing started. I'm talking Carthage levels of salt. That being said I maybe did not help the situation but I stood up for what I belive. Quadratus is right, completely and wholly. I can't count the number of times I have had people tell me to "watch out for cassia", "you simply don't know her" or my personal favorite "you're hitching yourself to the wrong wagon" or even better "traitor" (of which the saltiness was very powerful there) but frankly I'm an adult. I can choose who I associate with and Cassia has not only been kind, respectful, and supportive of my endeavors. The acts of a true Roman. She was the first person to open up here and speak to me, not the only but he first when others did not. Either way, I support Quadratus and his petition. Now I return to my silence.

Vale

N. Antonius Paullus
Numerius Antonius Paullus

Re: A Petition for the Reinstatement of Gaia Cassia Longina as a Citizen of the Res Publica Romana

Postby Marcus Flavius Celsus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

Salvete omnes!

Ready to support petition. I will be happy to see Cassia is back. I think she was important part of our community.

But! Everyone here must understand what resignation for such hight standing person like Cassia ( she's a member Ordo Equester, Comitia Curiata, Curule Aedile - for second, here in ResPublica is only few persons who "highter" by social and political rank, realy) cannot pass without consequences.

If she will returns after this mess( and facebook scandal what still in process ), i will be standing for all her achievments stay in past. No more partician or equesterian status. No reinstatement as Curule Aedile or position in Comitia Curiata.

If She back it will be new start, with mark "once already leaved us'.
Marcus Flavius Celsus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus
Senator
Senator
Governor of Sarmatia Pronvincia
Governor of Sarmatia Pronvincia

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Salvete Quirites!

Of course I fully support the return of Cassia Longina to the Republic.
But she was never expelled in the first place. So this petirion needs to be made to her. The Censores cannot reinstate her against her will.
If it is true that she has expressed her intention to return to the Republic, then she is more than welcome. I hope the Censores do not oppose. Possibly it needs to be discussed, if she can continue to hold her offices and which of them.
This would be a very happy turn of events. And our Republic and the Roma Aeterna group could join forces to make this Roman temple a reality. Maybe we can come stronger than before out of this crisis.

Concordia semper nobis ducem sit.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Brutus Cen. Sal.

Friends, you know as a Censor it is my duty to review and approve applications for citizenship.

I would review an application from Cassia. I also do not see myself denying such an application. No petition is required except to maybe Cassia.

One thing is clear in our bylaws.

A membership in the Corporation is terminated when:

the member resigns by delivering a written resignation to the officers of the Corporation, to the directors (Lictor Curiatus Magister), or posting such a statement publically before the members of the Corporation. In such case, the resignation shall be effective on the date specified in the resignation statement;

Cassia provided me both as a officer (Censor) and as a director such a resignation request dated from Friday April 16, 2017 @ 2:12 PM EST. From that time she ceased to be a member / citizen here.

LEX CURIATORUM: On the replacement of elected magistrates that fail to complete a term states:

If a magistrate does not complete their term before September 1st then the assembly of the
res publica (Centurate, Tribal, or Plebeian) which originally elected the now vacant ministry is to be summoned within 30 days to elect a replacement suffectus by majority support of the centuries or tribes responding

a. The eligibility criteria for candidates seeking to be a suffectus are the same as those
defined in legislation outlining candidacy criteria for the original magisterial office in
question

Therefore, Comitia Tributa must be called and the people given the opportunity to select a new Curule Aedile. I think is is more then reasonable considering the circumstances.

The elections for the Collegia have started. I leave that matter to the Praetores and Consules to clarify should she return. But it would appear fair to me to allow the Collegia to assess the situation as well.

Her position as Sacerdos would need to be clarified by the Comitia Curiata (CC) or future Collegium Pontificum. Cassia is no longer a member of the CC as she is not a citizen. If she became a citizen in the future she would be eligible for appointment to the CC like any citizen in good standing is eligible. The ultimate decision on this would be decided by the CC.

I consider myself an educator. I believe people can learn, change and improve. I hope this is the case with Cassia. But like the virtues stipulate, and how Consul Philo Maior always reminds me, such change must be demonstrated. Reclaiming her honor is something to be earned. I believe she can do this if she desires it. But her actions cannot be fully undone in simply reclaiming citizenship. Such a thing would not be virtuous and not respect our citizenship.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Quadratus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Salvete!

Gaia Cassia Longina did not act honorably with me in a prior matter and one that was not resolved until after I had brought the matter to the attention of the Praetors. I do not support taking any initiative to restore her citizenship. If she wants to return, let her apply on her own initiative.

Valete!
C. Claudius Quadratus
Quadratus
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Curio Sal.

My opinion on the situation is this: Cassia resigned willingly, she should apply the same way. As always, we do not block citizenship just because you leave. There are only two individuals blocked from citizenship, and she is neither.

However, if she returns, it should be noted that I would not be in favor of her returning to her previous positions. Elections for new collegial leaders are already underway, and she forfeited her position as Curule Aedile when she left the Republic. Her position of Sacerdos would rest completely on the shoulders of the CC. To me personally, her returning to her positions isn't the correct call. She failed the people who voted her in, completely across the board.

Additionally, to restore her positions after she left would be a dishonor to the Republic and to the trust placed in the people who serve in these positions.

Censor Brutus put it very well, regarding the virtues. Honor must be reclaimed, and simply coming back would not do that alone. As in the real world, you must prove you are deserving of that trust once more.

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Consul Minor
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Senator
Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:12 pm

L. Livius quaest. omnibus Quiritibus sal.

I, for one, would gladly welcome Cassia Longina back as a citizen, if for no other reason than to put an end to the senseless public hysteria which this solitary departure has provoked.

Valete.
L. Livius Ani. Seneca
Dominus Prasinus
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Hello,

I've already said that Cassia left RR is a very bad thing, because I think she's a nice creator, a possibly ambassador between RR and CPR people in Roma, and Europe etc she create clothes and many inspirated things who are wonderfull for the modern romanitas.
I'm in favor of a reinstatement of her, but if she wants.
in the contrary, if she doesn't want to return to RR and be a citizen here, I think it will be a very very very bad thing for the future of the RR who risk to fall into a sort of ultra-traditionalist orientation and autarcy, for my point of view.
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Lucius Metilius Niger wrote:Hello,

I've already said that Cassia left RR is a very bad thing, because I think she's a nice creator, a possibly ambassador between RR and CPR people in Roma, and Europe etc she create clothes and many inspirated things who are wonderfull for the modern romanitas.
I'm in favor of a reinstatement of her, but if she wants.
in the contrary, if she doesn't want to return to RR and be a citizen here, I think it will be a very very very bad thing for the future of the RR who risk to fall into a sort of ultra-traditionalist orientation and autarcy, for my point of view.

State one instance in which the RR demonstrated an ultra-traditionalist and autocratic posture. One. Good luck.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Next