On Maecenas and Cassia - My Failures

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

On Maecenas and Cassia - My Failures

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 am

Salvete!

Maecenas broke my trust. The right thing was done. His actions in harming the public image of the Republic cannot be forgiven. He is a stain. The only course of action with virtue left for him is his self imposed perpetual departure. As a Roman he is spiritually dead. In recognizing this fact he reclaims some honor.

Citizenship in the Republic is not to be taken lightly. It is a very real cultural identity. It is a privilege made possible through the hard work of many people. I also believe it is recognized spirituality by the ancient Gods. To toss it aside is no small matter. Such an act is similar to cutting off a part of who you are. Those who do it in anger should recognize that it is like a type of suicide. There is no honor in such a thing done in spite. Those who do this are slaves to their emotions. In the Republic this is how they will forever be remembered. Those who do this will never be Roman again in my eyes. They are walking lemures. Broken people with impure and slavish impulses.

I too stained my honor in appointing Maecenas to such a position. He was clearly incapable of holding such a role. I should have known better. Therefore, if the Senate desires to accept it, I offer my resignation as Consul and Senator immediately. I leave it in the hands of the Senate to decide what is best for the Republic. I have full faith in their choice and accept whatever it may be with full conviction in their wisdom. No hard feelings.

I have a major surgery today. So I will be out of touch for some time. But I shall always have the interests of the Respublica and the Gods in my heart. No single person or group or loss can stop the rise of this cultural and spiritual Roman Republic restored.

My apologies for my failures. I hope my past successes out weigh my wrong. My best wishes always, and may the Gods guide you today and tomorrow. Rome must be restored. Together as a family of virtuous Romans you will do just this. When you do, I hope I'm recalled with some fondness and viewed as a man of some minor virtue despite my many faults.

valete.
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Re: On Maecenas and Cassia - My Failures

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:58 am

It is a response full of nobility and integrity.
If I were to give my humble opinion, I find it sad that citizens come to rot each other, but these things happen, and the necessary measures must be taken to preserve the honor of your republic. What is unfortunate is that you are not very numerous as citizens / magistrates active in the Republic, and I imagine it would be much better for you to try to be more diplomatic and benevolent, Because your community, which is virtual, is very fragile. I think you're aware of that.

Be sure of my kindness towards you and your republic.

Above all, I would like to express my wishes for a good recovery to Curtius Philo, and my thanks for his noble spirit, which is worthy of the Romanitas.
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:06 am

Salvet Consul et salvete Quirites!

What exactly is going on? Is this related to statements in some other forum or have these events just escaped my attention? What means "If Cassia remained a citizen" ? Did she resign too?
I think the citizens need a little bit more information about what is going on.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Curio Sal.

The long and short of what transpired was a disagreement between C. Cassia Longina and Ti. Cilnius Maecenas. This argument went beyond normal arguments and escalated to a situation where both behaved well outside the Mos Maiorum. This warranted a Censorial Nota against both. However, Cassia resigned her citizenship before it could be issued against her. This left Maecenas to have his Nota issued, which removed his Optimo Iure status. As per the lex governing magisterial assistants, loss of that status is immediate grounds for dismissal as Tribunus Laticlavius with no denarii reward being granted for time served. After this occurred, Maecenas resigned his citizenship as well.

Consul Philo, you are not at fault here. Maecenas actions rest on his shoulders, not yours. You believed and trusted in him, and to me that doesn't show a weakness in leadership as that could happen to anyone of us. If you wish to proceed with a resignation before a Senate, then I shall personally speak against it. You are a good leader and a strong pillar of this community.

Di vos incolumes custodiant!

L. Aurelius Curio
Consul Minor
Omnis enim ex infirmitate feritas est
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Brutus Cen. Sal.

As a senator I will not accept the resignation of Consul Philo. We would have no Republic if every mistake made required a resignation. We learn and move on. I'm personally humbled by the virtue displayed by Consul Philo. You are a good and decent man. We are lucky to have you as Consul.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Ita est.
Consul Philo should not retire. This is getting blown totally out of proportion.

I was not aware of Cassia Longina's resignation.
She held several important offices in our Republic. What now?
She was Procuratrix of Rome (Absurd title by the way, Rome is not a province. It should be Praefecta Urbi.) Who represents us in Rome now?
Will there be elections for the other offices she held?

This is a major crisis. Is there no way to convince both Maecenas and Cassia to return to the Republic? Were they not both members of the Ordo Equester? It would be a major loss, if they leave.

Valete!
C. Flor. Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Father, your actions carry no fault. No one can judge you for not knowing Maecenas fully. We all commit errors of judgement. You are a great man and one of the great Lights of our Republic. Your legacy is one of greatness and valor. I will not permit if I hold any sway that you be removed from office because of this, for if YOU have fault in this then all of us do. You are a great man and all of us respect you immensley.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Ita est.
Consul Philo should not retire. This is getting blown totally out of proportion.

I was not aware of Cassia Longina's resignation.
She held several important offices in our Republic. What now?
She was Procuratrix of Rome (Absurd title by the way, Rome is not a province. It should be Praefecta Urbi.) Who represents us in Rome now?
Will there be elections for the other offices she held?

This is a major crisis. Is there no way to convince both Maecenas and Cassia to return to the Republic? Were they not both members of the Ordo Equester? It would be a major loss, if they leave.

Valete!
C. Flor. Lupus

Brutus Cen. Sal.

I think we need to keep this in perspective.

Maecenas held no position in the Republic beyond thst of assistant to Consul Philo. He was not in the ordo equester.

Cassia was Aedile and held some positions in various collegia. She was ordo equester but was due to be reassigned back to the plebeian order due to a decline in her denarii balance.

Resignation of citizenship is not something to be used as a political tool or a means of advancing a position. As Consul Philo suggests, such actions demean what our citizenship means.

We will move on. We have about 350 citizens here. We grow everyday. Now is an opportunity for those sitting on the fence to take on a leading role in our future. We need team players, who want to join our magistrates to get things done. To help get our coins minted, to advance activity in the collegia, to form reenactment groups, to start projects.

Due to our growing population we can now accommodate up to 6 Quaestores legally. Today we have three open spots. We also have an open position for Curule Aedile. I know Consul Curio is about to enact minimum standards for magistrates. So those who hold a title with out work shall soon be replaced. Monthly face to face meetings of the magistrates by video conferencing is to be implemented next month. By the summer I trust we will have full active compliment of magistrates and the Republic will be stronger than ever.

So the question is now this. Can you help us build the next stage of our future? Are you willing to become part of our admin group and learn the ropes and guide us into tomorrow? I hope every citizen contemplates this question.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Speech from the Office of the Censores regarding recents events in the Roman Republic.

http://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p&h ... 28&j=49D82
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Salvete, Magistrati et Quirites!

More administrative offices and bureaucracy is exactly what we do not need. This was what led to an escalation of the conflict to the point that two valuable citizens have left the Republic.
Res Publica means the public affairs. It does not mean a certain apparatus of government. Every citizen can help in a project even without a formal title, because these are public affairs, our affairs, the citizens' affairs. I am sure no citizen would refuse to help when he is asked for it and it is within his capabilities, with official title or without.

Consul L. Curtius Philo recently made a very inspiring speech (Actually it was a post in this forum.), which I would like to quote:
Lucius Curtius Philo wrote:The RR is not a micronation. The RR is a nation.
We do not claim sovereignty.
We claim an already existing spiritual-cultural nationhood.
The RR is a nation and this objective already exists. This nation existed before the RR was founded.

These are some impressive words that we should meditate one moment about.
Consul Philo stated that we are all people of the Roman Nation. And we were of the Roman nation even before this community was founded.
So, when Maecenas and Cassia resigned their citizenship, did they cease to be of the Roman nation? - I do not think so.
So what else does it mean? - It means they are still Romans, but they do not recognize our organization and are not willing to support our projects.
We do not have the power to take Romanitas away from anybody. Losing a citizen means losing his support, it does not make him a Non-Roman. It is not a loss for him/her, it is a loss for us.

It is my firm belief that the spiritual nation of Rome that Consul Philo was talking about is more important than a certain organizational structure.
We cannot afford to lose important members, because they are unhappy with some detail of our community. Then our community has to become more open, more inclusive and less regulated, so it can become a home for every Roman, even when he disagrees with others.
If the forum needs to become more liberal and less strict in its code of conduct, then so be it! Let us loosen up about what is allowed to say and what is not!

Let us ask Cassia and Maecenas what they want and let us come to a compromise.
The controversy was among these two. The task of the Republic was to mediate between them, but instead we made it worse and lost both.
I have contacted Cassia to ask what ultimately caused her unfortunate decision. We must make an effort to bring these two highly regarded citizens back into our community.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Next

Return to Main Forum