CERALIA Rite Preformed by C Cassia Longina, Sacerdos Liberi

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

CERALIA Rite Preformed by C Cassia Longina, Sacerdos Liberi

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Salvete omnes,
It was with great pleasure that I was able to perform this rite on this Ceralia. As Sacerdos to Liber and Libera, I took pleasure from this.
The original was written by Maecenas, but since his resignation, I was asked to perform this. I had changed slight things, such as using soy milk since I do not have any regular milk available. I used sandalwood and frankincense incense and local Florida honeycomb as well. I also changed Liber and Libera's names to Pater Liber and Mater Libera respectively.
Have a wonderful day everyone and enjoy the ludi.

May the ancestors and gods smile upon you and our Republic,
C Cassia Longina

I. Purificatio
May this unspoiled and humble water rinse away my impurities. I perform this act in preparation to come before you, the mighty known and unknown divinities, I desire to be pure and to be pleasing. May this simple water, the lifeblood of all mortal things, remove any contamination from my body. May it symbolically cleanse my heart and mind and remind me of the virtues as I come before you. From this act, I hope that my presence is pleasing and non-offensive to you. May I be worthy to offer you my praise and invoke your generous benevolence. It is so.
II. Praefatio
Depart, oh depart those not here to make the profanus sacer! All remaining your attention! Silence, this ceremony begins.
Mother Vesta, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend this Ceralia (make adoratio). Upon this Ceralia may your favor be present and in doing so allow for good greetings and offerings to be made to you and those Gods and Goddesses which it is good to call upon. In doing so, may you allow pious smoke rise to the heavens. By this act remind me of the noble virtues. Mother Vesta, to you my voice lifts in praise as by this rite and through your benevolence, I am allowed to approach you. As your sacred flame in the past demonstrated your divine good faith, allow your sovereignty to reign over the fire before us. As you attended to the Roman people of old, attend to your Roman people of the present. Queen of perennial fire, on this Ceralia and if it is your will, grant your support aid to all who identify as ancestors of the Roman people of old. In particular bless our farmers, and those who tend to fields and plants. Prepare our homes and families for this Ceralia and for the cleaning renewal of spring. For all these causes, be present and kindle the flames before us! For your kind support, I shall offer Milk* in hopes that it is pleasing to you.
{light candles and incense)
Father Ianus, from whom all things proceed, God of good beginnings and the years gliding by in silence, who alone among the immortal celestials sees his own back! Ianus, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend this Ceralia (make adoratio). With your kind favor open the way forward and aid our task at hand. Ianus, on this Ceralia facilitate communication with yourself, Liber and Libera and all the Gods and Goddesses for which it is pious to recognize. Ianus, as you allowed Rome to rise to great heights, allow your Roman people of the present to have good beginnings. As you enabled pious contact with the divine in the past, now allow such contact in the present and future. With a nod open your gleaming gates onto peaceful precincts and favor our farmers, and those who tend to fields and plants. Prepare our homes and families for this Ceralia and for the cleaning renewal of spring on this Ceralia day. Towards these ends be increased by this offering of milk made before you now.
{make offering}
Ianus, it has been done!
Mother Vesta, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! If it is your will to attend this ceremony on this Ceralia day, and if it is pleasing to you, be increased by this offering of milk made before you now.
{make offering}
Vesta, it has been done!
III. SALUTATIO
You are called Ceres Abundant, Fertile Mother, Progenetress and Golden, our ancestors long recognized your divine favour since the Sibylline books indicated your benevolence, Ceres, unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend this Ceralia which is initiated today in your honor.
Ceres, ever Abundant! Favour all who identify as Roman. Favor our farmers, and those who tend to fields and plants. Bless our land as the frosts of the winter recede into the past. Renew us in the present as the warmth of your love is felt in the caress of the tender spring breeze. Remind us of your kindness and life bringing force.
In the 255th year after the founding of Rome, the Sibylline books encouraged our ancestors to grant you a seat of honor. They did so and in return you granted them much bounty from the land. Your fertile hands yielded a people that tamed nature and now populate much of the world today! In recalling your mighty achievements and blessings be kind to us today. On this Ceralia grant us as year of friendly growth both in our communities and on our local soil. Allow the Earth to be the bosom by which we seek aid and comfort in you, our divine Mother.
Ceres, the Roman People, and all those who seek to celebrate this Ceralia in your honor now seek your patronage and petition you towards this ends.
Towards these ends be increased by this offering of milk made as a libation before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!
Pater Liber, friend of the Golden Mother Ceres, giver of fertility and protector, by whatever name you please, be hallowed, I pray and beseech you to attend this Ceralia which is initiated today upon the honor of Mother Ceres.
Pater Liber, favour all who identify as Roman. Favor our farmers, and those who tend to fields and plants. Bless our land as the frosts of the winter recede into the past. Renew us in the present as the warmth of your love is felt in the caress of the tender spring breeze. Remind us of your kindness and life bringing force.
Long have you stood by Mother Ceres. Thus, you know that the Roman people honor you as they honor Ceres, in return you granted them much bounty from the land. Your fertile hands yielded a people that tamed nature and now populate much of the world today! In recalling your mighty achievements and blessings be kind to us today. On this Ceralia grant us as year of friendly growth both in our communities and on our local soil. Allow the Earth to be the bosom by which we seek aid and comfort in you, and our divine Mother Ceres.
Liber, the Roman People, and all those who seek to celebrate this Ceralia in your honor now seek your patronage and petition you now.
Towards these ends be increased by this offering of milk made as a libation before you now, and if it pleases you.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!
Mater Libera , friend of the Golden Mother Ceres, giver of fertility who frees us from the grip of winter, source of growth and bounty given up by the land, by whatever name you please, be hallowed, I pray and beseech you to attend this Ceralia which is initiated today upon the honor of Mother Ceres.
Mater Libera ! Favour all who identify as Roman. Favor our farmers, and those who tend to fields and plants. Bless our land as the frosts of the winter recede into the past. Renew us in the present as the warmth of your love is felt in the caress of the tender spring breeze. Remind us of your kindness and life bringing force.
Long have you stood by Mother Ceres. Thus, you know that the Roman people honor you as they honor Ceres, in return you granted them much bounty from the land. Your fertile hands yielded a people that tamed nature and now populate much of the world today! In recalling your mighty achievements and blessings be kind to us today. On this Ceralia grant us as year of friendly growth both in our communities and on our local soil. Allow the Earth to be the bosom by which we seek aid and comfort in you, and our divine Mother Ceres.
Mater Libera , the Roman People, and all those who seek to celebrate this Ceralia in your honor now seek your patronage and petition you now.
{MAKE OFFERING}
It is done!
Oh Fertile Mother Ceres, and you her benevolent partners, Liber and Libera , and all the Gods of heaven, and Earth, I call you to witness this Ceralia taking place!
IV. Precatio
Long the ancient peoples of Scilly knew of your kind benevolence. In the 255th year after the founding of Rome, the Sibylline books encouraged our ancestors to grant you a seat of honor, since then we call you Mother Ceres, the Fertile Goddess and champion of the life giving force of the land. Golden and Mighty Bearer of Crops and Progenetress of the Crops and Abundance and Fecund, for these reasons, towards this aim, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of incense and honey comb which I have placed before you and will give unto you.
Oh, Mother Ceres, if this offering of incense and honey pleases you, offer your aid on this Ceralia . Grant us a year of friendly growth both in our communities and on our local soil. Allow the Earth to be the bosom by which we seek aid and comfort in you, our divine Mother. Ceres, the Roman People, and all those who seek to celebrate this Ceralia in your honor now seek your patronage and petition you to this ends. Devine Ceres, if you will it, allow the summer and spring seasons to be mild, the year ahead to be fertile both in our communities and from the soil. Grant peace and goodwill from Earth and between living things.
Men and woman of Rome when the clear spring has come let all the country folk honor Ceres' and offer milk, honey and wine, and for good luck carry the luck-bringing sacrifice three times round the young crops.
Ceres, Golden Mother of Bountiful Fertility, receive this additional offering of local honey made towards the petition made. Under your life giving aupices these crops are made. In this we acknowledge your goodwill and sovereignty over the living products of Earth.
I begin to sing of rich-haired Ceres!
Queenly Ceres, bringer of seasons and giver of good gifts!
Ceres, bringer of seasons and giver of perfect gifts!
Rich-haired Ceres answered,
And to you, all hail, and may the Gods give you good!
Gladly will I take the boy to my breast, as you bid me, and will nurse him.
Queenly Ceres, bringer of seasons spoke,
I am that Ceres who has share of honor and is the greatest help and cause of joy to the undying Gods and mortal men.
In awe of the benevolent Queen, King Celsus of the Eleusis responded,
Make a fair temple for rich-haired Ceres and an altar upon the rising hillock.
So begins the Eleusinian Mysteries and so today begins our good praise and honor of Queenly Ceres.
V. Immolatio
Oh, Mother Ceres, the Fertile Goddess and champion of the life-giving force of the land. Golden and Mighty Bearer of Crops and Progenetress of the Crops and Abundance (adoratio). We offer you this incense and honey now given up to you and towards the appeal made. Devine Ceres be strengthened by this offering of incense and honey presented before you now!
Ceres first turned the soil with curving plough,
first ripened the crops and produce of the earth,
First gave us laws,
All things are Ceres’s gift,
My song is of her
Mighty Goddess Ceres, if you will it, make it so!
VI. Redditio
Ovid wrote the following of the Ceralia , in remembrance of past Ceralia of our ancestors let us ponder;
During the Ceralia foxes are loosed then,
Carrying torches fastened to scorched backs.
Once a thrifty peasant woman and her sturdy husband had a small
Plot, he tilled the land himself, whether it needed ploughing,
Or required the curving sickle or the hoe.
They would sweep the cottage, set on timber piles,
She'd set eggs to hatch under the mother hen's feathers,
Or collect green mallows or gather white mushrooms,
Or warm the humble hearth with welcome fire,
And still worked her hands assiduously at the loom,
To provision them against the threat of winter cold.
She had a son: he was a playful child,
Who was already twelve years old.
In a valley, he caught, in the depths of a willow copse,
A vixen, who'd stolen many birds from the yard.
He wrapped his captive in straw and hay, and set fire
To it all: she fled the hands that were out to burn her:
In fleeing she set the crops, that covered the fields, ablaze:
And a breeze lent strength to the devouring flames.
The thing's forgotten, but a relic remains:
And they burn a fox at the Ceralia to punish the species,
destroyed in the same way as it destroyed the crops.
In this way nature and the gifts of Mother Ceres must be respected. The fox, an element of nature can very well represent the forces that are beyond our control. Ceres allows us to tame nature through her benevolence and in doing so allows facilitates the great fruits of agriculture and civilization. The fox mentioned by Ovid harmed the homestead. It killed and took away domestic animals on which the family depended on for survival. In retaliation the boy captured the fox and set it on fire. This act resulted in the fox setting fire to the farm itself causing even greater harm to the family.
We must recall that the acts we have on the Earth are facilitated by Ceres who provides us untold bounty. Similarly, the power of the great Queenly Ceres is not benign. What we do on Earth influences the soil and the land. In seeking to tame the Earth we can destroy ourselves and the land. The divine Gods and Mother Ceres are sovereigns over the Earth. We are merrily tenants allowed limited control through the kind patronage of Ceres and her consort of divinities.
In remembrance of this fact we light two candles now, and reflect on the reminder made by the burning foxes of old. We recall how unpredictable nature can be and how we only reap the benefits from the Earth which Ceres allows. The actions Ceres permits can reverberate across generations, and carry serve penalties if used unwisely by us mortals. Nature is unpredictable and only is tamed by human hands by Ceres’ blessings. At any time the land and the gifts of Ceres return to the Earth.
[light two candles]
In lighting these candles, as proxies for the burning foxes of old, we recall that all things return to the Earth, Ceres only lends us her gifts and for this we thank her and recognize her kindness. Ceres is a noble, kind, and great Goddess to loan us what is hers by divine right. Through her blessings we live on the land not hungry, but fertile and with the benefits provided by civilization and innovation.
VII. Litatio
[Quietly contemplate the Gods and Goddesses, and watch for signs. Preferably performed while sitting]
VIII. Piaculum
Devine Ianus or by whichever names you might prefer, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this [offering] which now is offered before you in expiation of my error.

[make offering]

Mother Ceres, or by whichever names you might prefer, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this [offering] which now is offered before you in expiation of my error.

[make offering]

Pater Liber or by whichever names you might prefer, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this [offering] which now is offered before you in expiation of my error.

[make offering]

Mater Libera or by whichever names you might prefer, if I have done anything to violate tradition and insult, I pray that you do generously receive and accept this [offering] which now is offered before you in expiation of my error.

[make offering]

Mother Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, it is right to offer you thanks and honor as you provided your flame during this ceremony. Towards my gratitude be strengthened by this additional offering/libation of [name of offering] now made before you.
[make offering]
Devine Vesta, if I have done anything to disrupt tradition and insult, I implore that you do kindly receive and accept this additional [offering] which now is presented before you in expiation of my error.
(make offering)
(blow out lamp)
Go now, be in peace, feast in the bounty of Ceres! Take note of her gifts and revel in her kindness with friends and family!
All Gods and Goddesses, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, and that is ceremony is now concluded! Through these pious acts may the deities so honored provide their favour and further the pax deorum!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: CERALIA Rite Preformed by C Cassia Longina, Sacerdos Liberi

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 pm

After the ceremony
Attachments
IMG_1757.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 147 times
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Main Forum