LIBERALIA RITVS

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

LIBERALIA RITVS

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 am

Liberalia rite posted by N. Antonius Paullus, make this posting. By the request of C. Cassia Longina,Sacerdos Liberi Et Liberae, to be posted in her name for Liberalia due to absence from technology.

Feb 2017
LIBERALIA

1. PURIFICATIO
After cleaning the altar, lararium, or sacred space with clean water (preferably from a running-water source), clean hands from water from a running source. May this unspoiled and humble water rinse away my impurities. I perform this act in preparation to come before you, the mighty known and unknown divinities, I desire to be pure and to be pleasing. May this simple water, the lifeblood of all mortal things, remove any contamination from my body. May it symbolically cleanse my heart and mind and remind me of the virtues as I come before you. From this act, I hope that my presence is pleasing and non-offensive to you. May I be worthy to offer you my praise and invoke your generous benevolence. I

2. PREAFATIO

Mother Vesta, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend this Liberalia.
Upon this Liberalia may your favor be present and in doing so allow for good greetings and offerings to be made to you and those Gods and Goddesses which it is right and good to call upon. In doing so, may you allow pious smoke rise to the heavens. By this act remind me of the noble virtues. Mother Vesta, to you my voice lifts in praise as by this rite and through your benevolence, I am allowed to approach you. As your sacred flame in the past demonstrated your divine good faith, allow your sovereignty to reign over the fire before us. As you attended to the Roman people of old, attend to your Roman people of the present.
Queen of perennial fire, on this day, and if it is your will, grant your favor to the women, the women of the Roman Republic, and all her citizens.

For all these causes, be present and kindle the flames before us! For your kind support, I shall offer this incense in hopes that it is pleasing to you. Lights candles and incense. Vesta, it has been done.

Father Ianus, from whom all things proceed, biformed God, heavenly gatekeeper, good creator, the God of good beginnings and the years gliding by in silence, who alone among the immortal celestials sees his own back! Ianus, or unless you prefer some other name, I pray and beseech you to attend this Liberalia (make adoratio) now with your kind favor open the way forward and aid our task at hand. Ianus, on this Liberalia facilitate communication with yourself, Liber, and Libera and all the Gods and Goddesses for which it is pious to recognize Ianus, as you allowed Rome to rise to great heights, allow your Roman people of the present to have good beginnings. As you enabled pious contact with the divine in the past, Now allow such contact in the present and future. Offer incense.

Ianus Pater, Father of Beginnings, with this incense on the occasion of the beginning of this festival of Liberalia, I pray that you watch over the Roman People, all who follow the path of the ancestors, my friends, my household, and myself. Ianus, it has been done.

3. SALUTATIO

Liber Pater, father of the people, bestower of fertility, and protector of our children, I, on behalf of the Roman Republic, we call you to attend this Liberalia. Liber Pater, or by whatsoever name pleases you, from times past you have protected the people and children of Rome, as you smiled upon our ancestors, I ask you to receive these offerings that I make to you and bless us as you blessed our ancestors. Liber Pater, protector of the people and the sower of seeds, please or by whatsoever name pleases you, as you smiled upon our ancestors, I ask you to receive these offerings that I make to you and bless us as you blessed our ancestors. For all those that are Roman, past and present and future, I humbly ask you to continue to protect all those who are children of Romulus, my friends, family, the citizens of the Roman Republic, and myself. For all those that are coming of age, and present and future generations, I humbly ask you to continue to protect all those who have had and wish to have children, our freedom, and our rights, and the citizens of the Roman Republic.

Libera Mater, mother of the people and the giver of fertility, or by whatsoever name pleases you, you are also called to attend this ceremony and may you be favorable to this offering on behalf of the Roman Republic on this day of the Liberalia. As you smiled upon our ancestors, I ask you to receive these offerings that I make to you and bless us as you blessed our ancestors. For all those that are child-bearing, past and present and future, I humbly ask you to continue to protect all those who have had and wish to have children, and the citizens of the Roman Republic.

Similarly, may all the Gods who have raised the might of Rome and its culture to the fullest eminence of the world attend this ceremony if it should please them.

4. PRECATIO

Wash hands in water from running source.
Liber Pater, you have long assisted the people of Rome and our children. You unify all people under your protective watch and assist us when needed. Liber Pater, you who has been honored on the Aventine, may this offering bring you pleasure and humble the giver.

For all those that are coming of age, past and present and future, I humbly ask you, Free Father, to continue to protect all those who have come of age, who have members of their family coming of age, and those who will come of age, and the citizens of the Roman Republic. Help those nearing the age, become strong, healthy, and continue to protect them. Help those who will come of age in times near to become worthy members of the Republic and of the world. Continue to protect, Free Father, the citizens of the Roman Republic and continue to protect our freedoms. I beseech you to continue to watch over the women and men of the Roman Republic. May this offering of cake and wine please you and may the ends I have requested be furthered by this humble offering on this Liberalia. Offer and gesture. It is done.

Libera Mater, protector of women and consort of Liber Pater, for these reasons, in recognition of your benevolence, and if it pleases you, accept this offering of cake which I have placed before and given onto you.
[place offering on altar] touching the altar with the left hand.

Oh, Liber, if this offering of cake and wine pleases you, offer your aid towards what I have asked. Liber, if you will it, continue to bless the Roman people, the Roman Republic, the men and women of our Republic, my family, friends, and myself. It is done.

5. IMMOLATIO

Wash & dry hands.
Liber Pater, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice of this cake and wine, and become favorable to the Roman people, the Roman Republic, to my household, my friends, and myself. May You accept this offering, and may this sacrifice pay appropriate tribute to You.
Liber Pater, protector and giver, please accept this offering on behalf of the Roman Republic on this day. We offer you this [gesture to offering] to you and is now given up to you and towards the appeal made. Liber Pater, be pleased and strengthened by this humble offering presented before you. [Touch offering] It is done.

6. REDDITO

Liber Pater, protector of the Roman people and giver of fertility, just as I have offered sacrifices and prayed to you, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice.
Libera Mater, protector of the Roman people and giver of fertility, just as I have offered sacrifices and prayed to you, for these reasons may you be honored and strengthened with the sacrifice.

7. LITATIO

8. PIACULUM

Iane Pater, if the appeals and offerings made in this ceremony have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you. Towards these ends accept this additional offering of wine which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.

Mother Vesta, also known as the perpetual guardian of the hearth, family, and community, queen of perennial fire, protector of the Roman people! Vesta, or unless you prefer some other name, thanks and honor is to be given to you for providing your flame during this ceremony. In recognition of this be strengthened by this additional offering of wine now made before you.

(make offering)

Blessed Vesta if the appeals and offerings made in this ceremony have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you. Mother Vesta towards these ends accept this additional offering of wine which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you.

(make offering)

Liber Pater, if the appeals and offerings made in this ceremony have caused unbeknownst offense, please accept my deep regret and recall my good intentions towards you. Divine Liber Pater and Libera Mater towards these ends accept this additional offering of [offering] which I place before you, as a sign of my reverence and good will towards you. Libera Mater and Liber Pater, and all gods present, I apologize for any error made in this ceremony and if I have done anything to displease or insult you, most powerful gods, I pray that I have not offended and that you generously accept this offering of wine I place before you.

All Gods and Goddesses, by whatever names you desire, observe that good intentioned prayers were made, that sacred offerings were given up to you, and that this ceremony is now concluded with the upmost piety. May all those deities so honored by these events make their will so and offer their divine favour! All may leave.
Blow out lamp and wash hands again.
VI ET CONSILIO
Numerius Antonius Paullus
Governor of Pacifica
Governor of Pacifica
Aesculapii Sacerdos
Aesculapii Sacerdos

Return to Main Forum