Adoption Announcement

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Adoption Announcement

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:49 am

Salvete Omnes,

I would like to announce that I have been adopted by L. Curtius Philo, a man I deeply respect and admire. I have been known here as C. Aurelius Victor, but, given the adoption I had to change my name once again. I beg your comprehension and understanding.

Vale,
Philo
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Re: Adoption Announcement

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:26 am

Salvete!

I confirm C. Curtius Philo Aurelianus (formerly C. Aurelius Victor) as my adopted son in the eyes of our respublica. Censor Brutus just informed me that he approved this change as well.

As a man who has no naturally born children, it warms my heart to have good and dedicated person like C. Curtius Philo as my Roman son.

I also state here publically upon my death I desire my denarii to be split 25% to Tiberius Curtius Philo and 75% to Gaius Curtius Philo. This will remain my will until and if updated at a future date.

valete.
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Salvete Senatores!
Has the name change been handled correctly? I would have expected that the new name had to be:
Gaius Curtius Philo Aurelianus.
Maybe Lucia Horatia Adamas can offer some advice. She seems to be an expert of Roman naming conventions.
Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Salvete Senatores!
Has the name change been handled correctly? I would have expected that the new name had to be:
Gaius Curtius Philo Aurelianus.
Maybe Lucia Horatia Adamas can offer some advice. She seems to be an expert of Roman naming conventions.
Valete!
C. Florius Lupus

My full name is C. Curtius Philo Aurelianus. The agnomen has just been omitted in the records, probably because our system does not yet account for agnomina. Though it is in my signature :) I was going to change even my praenomen to Lucius, as is traditional, but my father prefered that I kept my praenomen and I respected his wishes.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 am

Looks like we have to update our database with a new field, so it includes the agnomen. It could be manually added by the Censors.
Or we write cognomen and agnomen together in the field of the cognomen.
I remember that in Nova Roma the database included it. There were people with agnomina and even two cognomina and an additional agnomen, but it had to be edited by a censor and could not be chosen by the civis when joining.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Return to Main Forum