LUDI REI PUBLICAE (Aniversery of the founding of the Roman Republic) - MARCH 3-10

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

LUDI REI PUBLICAE (Aniversery of the founding of the Roman Republic) - MARCH 3-10

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 am

SALVETE OMNES!

One year ago on this day (March 1) the patrician citizens of this Republic signed the Declaration (http://www.romanrepublic.org/wip/declaration.html). This act of unity, hope and civic virtue founded the Roman Republic! This act built upon the legacy created by one of our founders, Marcus Octavius Gracchus, who in 1998 launched the start of modern efforts to restore the ancient Roman Republic. Today the Roman Republic proudly carries on the efforts of citizen Marcus Octavius Gracchus!

For the history of the Republic may the following founding citizens be honored for their vision, hope and virtue in signing our Declaration.

Aulus Aelius Volusus
Gaius Atius Victor (founding Praetor)
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Gaius Florius Lupus
Gaius Quinctius Flamininus
Lucia Hostilia Scaura (founding Lictrix)
Lucius Curtius Philo (founding Praetor)
Lucius Vitellius Triarius (founding Princeps Senatus and Lictor)
Marcus Flavius Celsus (founding Curule Aedile)
Marcus Octavius Gracchus (founder of Roman Restorationism)
Numerius Iulius Dolabella (founding Quaestor)
Publius Iunius Brutus (founding Consul and Lictor)
Tiberia Salvia Albina
Titus Asinius Dento
Titus Flavius Severus(founding Consul)

One year ago Roman Restorationism was in decline. There was no unity, and much fighting and lack of virtue. From this darkness came this great act, an example for us all! My good friend, Censor Brutus, always reminded me that action is more important than talk. So now allow me to recall our actions of the past twelve months.

I. The Declaration of the Roman Republic was signed creating a positive framework to restore our old traditions.

II. The Roman Republic was the only organization to hold undisputed elections. Hundreds of citizens voted and elected a full compliment of magistrates.

III. The rejuvenation of the Sacra Publica began. Public ceremonies are occurring with increasing frequency and new sacerdotes are taking on the caretaking responsibilities between mortals and the Gods.

IV. The Societas Numea has created a well researched ceremonial template for the Sacra Publica

V. Citizenship has gone from 0 to 306

VI. An active Senate was founded

VII. Several active gentes were founded and growing

VIII. The first face-to-face meeting occurred in Nova Gallia

IX. Over $2000 dollars was raised in our first ten months

X. The foundation of a modern Roman legal system has been established

XI. With the skills of many dedicated citizens a modern online presence for the Republic was established

XII. Multiple provinces were created which are beginning the process of developing regional communities of Romans

What a glorious year! We have cause to celebrate!

Lex Claudia states that games are to be held to honor this founding, the Patrician order who created the Declaration, the Res Publica Romana, and the Capitoline and Archaic Triads (Iupiter, Iuno, Minerva, Mars, and Quirinius).

These games will Run from March 3rd to 10th.

The first game is as follows:

Create a piece of visual artwork (photo, picture, video) that honors the founding of the modern Republic.

This art should highlight our past and hopes for the future. It shall be judged by one of our key founders, Censor P. Iunius Brutus.

The prize will be 80 denarii for 1st, 40 denarii for second, 20 denarii for third. 2nd and 3rd place prizes will only be awarded if there are more than 6 entries. There can only be one entry for each citizen. The 1st place winner will also get an additional special prize mailed to them and donated by the sponsor of these games, Censor P. Iunius Brutus. Lastly, the first 1st prize winner will be honored as such on their citizenship profile page.

All entries should be uploaded to this thread by March 10th.

ADDITIONAL HELP NEEDED FROM A SACERDOS

On March 3rd a ceremony in honor of Iupiter, Iuno, Minerva, Mars, and Quirinius should be held for the ludi. If a recognized Sacerdos can assist with doing such a ceremony on behalf of the Republic and post a detailed report here in the forum they shall be compensated with 50 denarii for their service. If a video of this ceremony is provided 80 denarii shall be given. This ceremony should follow the approved format of the Societas Numea -
ritual protocol.docx
(35.01 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
. My thanks in advance to our dedicated cultores.

Valete!
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Re: LUDI REI PUBLICAE (Aniversery of the founding of the Roman Republic) - MARCH 3-10

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:57 pm

Brutus sal.

Thank you Horatius.

Indeed one year ago today about 15 months of preparation cumulated in the founding of the RR. On this day we opened our doors to citizens, registered our organization and started the journey towards reestablishing a new modern vision of the ancient Res Publica.

Much has been done in the last 12 months. We far exceeded my expectations held on this day a year ago. I hope that the next 12 months represent a continued evolution from online to online + offline activity with increasing frequency. Video conferencing, face-to-face meetings, recruitment within the provinces, establishment of a CP, all help towards this ends.

Aedile Horatius is right, we have much to celebrate! I very much look forward to viewing the entries for this ludi art contest and ceremony that is to be conducted.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: LUDI REI PUBLICAE (Aniversery of the founding of the Roman Republic) - MARCH 3-10

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:26 am

I am honored to be mentioned in this list (although by my former name, C. Atius Victor). I remember what it was like in the beginning of this adventure. There were no certainties. No assurances. We had no idea what the future had in store for us. All of us signed the Declaration in good faith and in high hopes, even though many around us were shouting announcements of our doom. Many fought this Republic. Accusing it of a myriad of propostuous things. Yet we endured. We survived. We thrived. And we did so with the same good faith and high hopes that we had in the founding. We did it by believing in our fellow men and women. We did it through acts of kindness and compassion. We did it through dignified humility and an unshakeable will.

I am very proud of the Republic I helped found. It was not an easy year... All of us had much much work to do. The greatest challange was, for me, to help cast aside the factionalism and infighting that Nova Roma represented. My work was basically to put out these fires. I did all in my power to moderate all of our conflicts, to a point in which I was thoroughly exausted. I fought against factionalism and defended a united Republic. And I am glad to say that these efforts (coupled with the efforts of many others) prevailed and we have founded a Republic based in responsible Action, not in friendships and underhand political play.

If I can say one thing to future generations from here on it is this: Do not fall victims to Factionalism and political mind games. Do not be proud to a point of arrogance. All you have today came from the efforts of humble men and women who dedicated themselves to Serve and were rewarded with honor for that service. All our influence, all our greatness, all this can disappear in the blink of an eye the moment that we cease to be what we are today. Never feel safe. Always be watchful. For a Virtuous Republic can only exist when it is built and maintained by constantly watchful citizens. Never leave the path of moderation and goodwill for that will be our undoing. Never put friendships over duty. Never seek goods and honors that are not by right yours. Fight for a decent Republic and you shall achieve immortality. Lose your way and all you shall have is oblivian. That is the line we trak. That is how we must go about it.

I am proud to be a founding member of this Republic. May it live to see many secular games. May it be something my children and grandchildren are proud of.

Valete,
C. Aurelius Victor
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 am

Salvete Quirites amicique!

What a great day! What an incredible achievement in such a short time! Gratias tibi, Brute for the exact numbers! 306 citizens - what an impressive number! Who had ever thought this one year ago?
Our Republic has turned out NOT to be just another off-split from Nova Roma like the RPR, the SVR and others before. Today we are the biggest and fastest growing Roman-themed organization of all.

Gratias vobis ago - omnibus patris patriae, not just to us Patricians who simply signed the Declaration, but first of all to the founders who had the idea to create this Republic, who invested their money, their time and their efforts to make all of this possible, what we have today. Et scilicet gratias vobis - omnibus Quiritibus, who have joined the Republic. Without you the citizens, the Republic would be meaningless even in spite of all good intentions of the patres patriae. It is the citizens that give strength to the Republic.
This organization is indeed different from all the others due to its ability to solve internal quarrels peacefully and to maintain the spirit of friendship, which is often difficult among people in the Internet that have never met in person.

Apparently we have done something right. And the gods have shown their approval. Otherwise our success could not be explained.
This is indeed a day to celebrate!

Optime valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 am

Dear friends, dear brothers and sisters,

You know my strong opinions and views about Virtual republics generaly, and revivalistic institutions by the web, wathever, I wish you/us the very very best,
I think the RR was built with Roman virtues, integrity and honestas, and that's make a very big difference between RR and others organisations like NR.
Roman virtues are Sacred, like the Cultus Deorum, and Mos Maoirum.

Romanists (cultores, reenactors, etc) need a great organization worldwide. It is certainly the RR who is this great organization, we can hope.

with all my frienship, and all my best wishes

L.Mercurius Nigra
leader 2016-2017 for the CPR of Gauls
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Sal.

Happy Ludi Rei Publicae!

I hope everyone has a chance to reflect on the Republic, it's mission, and what we can do to make the next year even better.

I encourage all citizens to celebrate at home. Make a nice meal, maybe even a Roman one, take this chance to talk to family and friends about what we are doing here! Share Romanitas!

If anyone celebrates at home and shares photos with us, I will happily provide 8 denarii to each citizen.

Long live our young and thriving Republic! I salute our patricians for their work! I salute our citizens for making it all possible!
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Praetor Peregrinus
Praetor Peregrinus

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 am

Tuscus Quiritibus omnibus, salutem -

Congratulations and Best Wishes on this Anniversary of the Roman Republic.

Special regards, as well, to Marcus Octavius Gracchus, a formative force and a friend to my own Roman tutelage, the old Societas Via Romana; I am glad to see him remembered for what he has contributed to all of us here.

Below is an off-the-cuff flourish for this festivity, a doodle off a scratch pad from a moment of Roman mindfulness while at work.

Again, Quirites, you do have reason to be proud. Well done!

Kalends Martis 2017-SMALL.jpg
Kalends Martis 2017-SMALL.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Brutus sal.

Aedile Horatius mentioned that I am donating a prize.

I would like to announce the prize shall be the following:

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:15 am

Ave!

A reminder that all entries for this competition are due March 10th!

Submit you entry now to have a chance to win some great prizes! See the attached message!

Marcus Livius Horatius wrote:SALVETE OMNES!

One year ago on this day (March 1) the patrician citizens of this Republic signed the Declaration (http://www.romanrepublic.org/wip/declaration.html). This act of unity, hope and civic virtue founded the Roman Republic! This act built upon the legacy created by one of our founders, Marcus Octavius Gracchus, who in 1998 launched the start of modern efforts to restore the ancient Roman Republic. Today the Roman Republic proudly carries on the efforts of citizen Marcus Octavius Gracchus!

For the history of the Republic may the following founding citizens be honored for their vision, hope and virtue in signing our Declaration.

Aulus Aelius Volusus
Gaius Atius Victor (founding Praetor)
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Gaius Florius Lupus
Gaius Quinctius Flamininus
Lucia Hostilia Scaura (founding Lictrix)
Lucius Curtius Philo (founding Praetor)
Lucius Vitellius Triarius (founding Princeps Senatus and Lictor)
Marcus Flavius Celsus (founding Curule Aedile)
Marcus Octavius Gracchus (founder of Roman Restorationism)
Numerius Iulius Dolabella (founding Quaestor)
Publius Iunius Brutus (founding Consul and Lictor)
Tiberia Salvia Albina
Titus Asinius Dento
Titus Flavius Severus(founding Consul)

One year ago Roman Restorationism was in decline. There was no unity, and much fighting and lack of virtue. From this darkness came this great act, an example for us all! My good friend, Censor Brutus, always reminded me that action is more important than talk. So now allow me to recall our actions of the past twelve months.

I. The Declaration of the Roman Republic was signed creating a positive framework to restore our old traditions.

II. The Roman Republic was the only organization to hold undisputed elections. Hundreds of citizens voted and elected a full compliment of magistrates.

III. The rejuvenation of the Sacra Publica began. Public ceremonies are occurring with increasing frequency and new sacerdotes are taking on the caretaking responsibilities between mortals and the Gods.

IV. The Societas Numea has created a well researched ceremonial template for the Sacra Publica

V. Citizenship has gone from 0 to 306

VI. An active Senate was founded

VII. Several active gentes were founded and growing

VIII. The first face-to-face meeting occurred in Nova Gallia

IX. Over $2000 dollars was raised in our first ten months

X. The foundation of a modern Roman legal system has been established

XI. With the skills of many dedicated citizens a modern online presence for the Republic was established

XII. Multiple provinces were created which are beginning the process of developing regional communities of Romans

What a glorious year! We have cause to celebrate!

Lex Claudia states that games are to be held to honor this founding, the Patrician order who created the Declaration, the Res Publica Romana, and the Capitoline and Archaic Triads (Iupiter, Iuno, Minerva, Mars, and Quirinius).

These games will Run from March 3rd to 10th.

The first game is as follows:

Create a piece of visual artwork (photo, picture, video) that honors the founding of the modern Republic.

This art should highlight our past and hopes for the future. It shall be judged by one of our key founders, Censor P. Iunius Brutus.

The prize will be 80 denarii for 1st, 40 denarii for second, 20 denarii for third. 2nd and 3rd place prizes will only be awarded if there are more than 6 entries. There can only be one entry for each citizen. The 1st place winner will also get an additional special prize mailed to them and donated by the sponsor of these games, Censor P. Iunius Brutus. Lastly, the first 1st prize winner will be honored as such on their citizenship profile page.

All entries should be uploaded to this thread by March 10th.

ADDITIONAL HELP NEEDED FROM A SACERDOS

On March 3rd a ceremony in honor of Iupiter, Iuno, Minerva, Mars, and Quirinius should be held for the ludi. If a recognized Sacerdos can assist with doing such a ceremony on behalf of the Republic and post a detailed report here in the forum they shall be compensated with 50 denarii for their service. If a video of this ceremony is provided 80 denarii shall be given. This ceremony should follow the approved format of the Societas Numea -
ritual protocol.docx
. My thanks in advance to our dedicated cultores.

Valete!
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:51 am

Salve!

I got mine -almost- done, as I had a very pick/annoying client this week who I think his main purpose was to test my patience limits. It is 10th included until midnight? Or at as soon as clock shows it's 10th March the time is up? I'm always got a bit paranoid with deadlines.

Vale!!

N. Octavia Saturnina
Octavia Aurelia Fulva
Bonae Deae / Triviae Sacerdos
Bonae Deae / Triviae Sacerdos

Return to Main Forum