Ideas for the year ahead and feedback

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

Ideas for the year ahead and feedback

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 am

Brutus Cen. sal.

We are approaching our first one year anniversary of the founding of the modern Res Publica Romana! It has been a big year. To recap.

We have over 300 citizens with over 75% being registered as voting and active.
We have had several successful elections.
We have raised over $2500 in funds - before tax / membership dues
We have over about 2100 members within our Facebook group
Many of our provinces have governors.
We are on the cusp of establishing a new Collegium Pontificum.
We have several active interest groups (e.g. Collegia)

Not bad for 11 months I think. Especially considering the state of our community one year ago today.

Now I propose to you all, my friends and fellow citizens, what can we do to do even better? What should we do together to expand upon the success of these first 12 months? What can you do? What can our magistrates do? I, along with all the magistrates and senatores would love you hear your 1, 3, 5 year ideas!

I said this before to many of the founders of this cultural nation. This Res Publica must always seek to provide a benefit to the Roman people. This motivation remains now as I hope it will always remain.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: Ideas for the year ahead and feedback

Postby Publius Cassius Maro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 am

It is my believe that all politics is fundamentally economic in nature. No topic can escape the need to ponder the economic significance and the effects on an economy are always forefront of policy. Therefore, in order to not just sust expand but maintain and sustain expansion, Rome must put her efforts into building and fostering a Roman economy. Trade is essential, recruiting skilled tradesman is paramount and establishing a system in which Romans can trade natively both in virtual and physical goods, would be the largest goal to strive for. Let's create more ways for investments to be raised with in Rome, for Romans. Let's start to think about Roman software development and more.
hic, hac, hoc.
Publius Cassius Maro

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Salvete!

I agree that trade and commerce is essential for our further expansion.
And our non-profit corporation is the biggest obstacle to it. It shout be completely separated from our community and be limited in its function to paying for the web hosting fees.
Then we can start selling merchandize, organizing events and journeys to the eternal city of Rome like a travel agency. We could open a Roman-themed restaurant and even a hotel.
There are many possibilities, but they have all a commercial nature. The non-profit was created for no other reason, because the founders believed that a Roman organization has to work in principal like Nova Roma with some improvements to avoid the same fate as this earlier organization. But our Republic does not need at all to be similarly organized as NR. We can do something totally different.

Thank you, Brutus, for the detailed numbers. As we can see, we have 7 times more people in the Facebook group than citizens. It shows the potential that we are missing out. Six out of seven people interested in our community are not interested in its current organization and do not want to be part of it. We need to become less formalized and more efficient. These people are interested in Rome, not in enacting laws, politics, NPC membership etc.
There are other Roman Facebook groups with even more members, e.g. Imperium Romanum Siglo XXI with 5000 Spanish speaking members. Our members could be well into the thousands, if we were less formal and without an all-dominating corporation.
This is something to think about, if we want to become more inclusive and expand further.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Salvete!

I agree that trade and commerce is essential for our further expansion.
And our non-profit corporation is the biggest obstacle to it. It shout be completely separated from our community and be limited in its function to paying for the web hosting fees.
Then we can start selling merchandize, organizing events and journeys to the eternal city of Rome like a travel agency. We could open a Roman-themed restaurant and even a hotel.
There are many possibilities, but they have all a commercial nature. The non-profit was created for no other reason, because the founders believed that a Roman organization has to work in principal like Nova Roma with some improvements to avoid the same fate as this earlier organization. But our Republic does not need at all to be similarly organized as NR. We can do something totally different.

Thank you, Brutus, for the detailed numbers. As we can see, we have 7 times more people in the Facebook group than citizens. It shows the potential that we are missing out. Six out of seven people interested in our community are not interested in its current organization and do not want to be part of it. We need to become less formalized and more efficient. These people are interested in Rome, not in enacting laws, politics, NPC membership etc.
There are other Roman Facebook groups with even more members, e.g. Imperium Romanum Siglo XXI with 5000 Spanish speaking members. Our members could be well into the thousands, if we were less formal and without an all-dominating corporation.
This is something to think about, if we want to become more inclusive and expand further.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus

SALVE LUPE!

My morose fellow, the commitment it takes to "like" something on social medial is entirely different than the commitment it takes to be a voting and involved citizen. I think we must be careful in over generalizing.

Say you do away with the corporation. A daft move from my perspective. But say you did it. Where would you put the assets? Who would control these assets legally? What solution do you have for these critical concerns that does not include private and corporate oversight?

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 am

Curio Sal.

Excellent points, Tribune Camillus. These are all factors that a not for profit corporation offers. Another big one is the fact of limited liability. If a product is defective, individual gets sued, what's to stop the plaintiff from seizing the sellers house, car, etc. This is a protection we offer our entrepreneurial citizens by selling through the Republic. How would you offer the same level of protection to these citizens and their families?

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Omnis enim ex infirmitate feritas est
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 am

Paullus sal.

I think one of the biggest setbacks of a purely online society is that there is no physical interaction between members and the organization they belong to. As such, I belive that items and activities that can bring the organization into the physical world. Such as meet ups, public rites, mechendise, seminars, collector items such as coins, yearly ID cards and the like can bring the Republic into the physical world. This would not only make it more "real" to many while also being free advertisement for our republic.

Another item would be the Republic sponsoring or coming together for grand projects and have regular updates for such. Like the dedication of a CDR temple or shrine, a totally comprehensive workbook that has been every rite, every ceremony in it in both English and Latin (societas numina). It is all good to have these projects in the works but keep your citizenry in the loop on the progress both on the forum and in social media.

This is my two points. Thank you all for your time and consideration in this matter.

Valete bene!

N. Antonius Paullus
VI ET CONSILIO
Numerius Antonius Paullus
Governor of Pacifica
Governor of Pacifica
Aesculapii Sacerdos
Aesculapii Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 am

Quintus Furius Camillus wrote:My morose fellow, the commitment it takes to "like" something on social medial is entirely different than the commitment it takes to be a voting and involved citizen. I think we must be careful in over generalizing.

Say you do away with the corporation. A daft move from my perspective. But say you did it. Where would you put the assets? Who would control these assets legally? What solution do you have for these critical concerns that does not include private and corporate oversight?

Assets? There are no assets apart from this website, which I suggested should be sole purpose of the corporation. Of course it should not be dissolved, just limited to maintaining the web site as a sub-department of a Quaestor. The Quaestor would be the director, the other corporate officials his scribae.
Camillo mi amice, I fully agree with you about your assessment of the situation, I just come to a different conclusion. Yes, a like on Facebook is easily done, but people are afraid to commit to an organization, which they are not sure of what duties it involves. But we cannot force something on people. If they do not want to commit, then citozenship should not require such a comitment. Why can wenot just be a community of friends with a common interest in Rome? Why do we need to give outsiders the impression that this is a strictly regulated and hierarchical organization with heavy social and financial obligations for all members? Let us ease things up and gain thousands of new members more!

Bringing the Republic from the virtual into the real world is also what I want. The corporation is again not helpful here. For every real world activity the organizers have to be on site, not somewhere in the Internet.
So let us assume, there is a meet up in France. Then the organizer would probabñy be the procurator of Gaul, not a Consul of the central government living on the other side of the Atlantic, just because he is the director of the corporation.
Any real world activity will always be separate from the corporation, for legal reasons alone, since most of them will not be held in Canada and therefore be under a different jurisdiction.
The bureaucracy of our organization with all its collegia magistrates, leges, comitia etc. is another hurdle. It discourages any activity and complicates it unnecessarily. It is easier to imagine that some friends of a Facebook group just meet somewhere than having it organized by the cumbersome bureaucracy of our Republic.
If we want things to happen, then it will not be under this current constitution. And we canbe pretty sure that no other Roman organization will ever join in, since they are very jealous about their own magistrates and believe we would try a hostile take over. We have seen it already happen with the RPR. They were afraid to join our forum, because they would have to submit formally under our organizational structure. If we had not had our own Consuls and Senate, they would probably have been less reluctant.

If we want to get real, everything in our community has to be real, no virtual imperium, no virtual offices. If something has no real significance and power, we should not have it. If a lictor cannot beat up renitent citizens with his fasces, then we should have no lictors. If the only power a Praetor has is moderating this forum, than we should let him be just that - a moderator. Marcus Audens left our Republic quarreling about the virtual office of Praefectus Castrorum without any real castrum in existence. We could avoid a lot of unnecessary quarrels, if we just get rid of the whole issue, which is only virtual in nature. We would quarrel less, get more members and convince other organizations easier into joint events.

Valete, mei amici!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Salvete Lupus et Omnes

There is need for both virtual and realtime connections within this community. The virtual allows citizens from all over the world to exchange ideas and information. The realtime connection fulfills other needs.

There is no need to change the constitution to accomplish any of these ideas (well maybe not the flogging part - see your local consensual laws for this 'Shade of Grey' area).

There is nothing stopping anyone from putting together a RR event/activity. Advertise for helpers in the Forum, Facebook or local paper/flyer, plan the event then advertise within the target area and hold the event. Form a local interest group. They don't even need to be citizens to participate. This has been done by many different interest groups for very little money.

Business ventures are also a possibility as Cassia has successfully shown. Create a business plan, secure financial backing and go to it.

The only question is: What do you, Lupus, want to do yourself? Let us know, maybe there are citizens waiting to coalesce around your idea. Perhaps a Roman Hotel or even a Roman Oppidiculum Theme Park with the hotel, circus, theater, forum, shops, amphitheater, etc.

caelus sideribus innumerabilibus solum definitus

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Numerius Antonius Paullus wrote:
Another item would be the Republic sponsoring or coming together for grand projects and have regular updates for such. Like the dedication of a CDR temple or shrine, a totally comprehensive workbook that has been every rite, every ceremony in it in both English and Latin (societas numina). It is all good to have these projects in the works but keep your citizenry in the loop on the progress both on the forum and in social media.

Good advice. I agree. I think that we should more strongly use our growing social media and general presence to our advantage. It is now fair to say that this Republic is the most visible international group working on the restoration of a Roman culture which can be lived. We have a huge asset in this. Our magistrates and leaders should use this leverage more strongly.

Overall, we are on the right track. I'm looking forward to celebrating our one year anniversary at the Ludi Rei Republicae this March.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:11 am

I have a plan to bring denarii into a real monetary system. To buy real products.

Now granted, this idea does not go as far as Lupe. His idea about having a fully developed currency cannot be established without further funds. But I have a plan that we could implement by the summer if the senate approved it. It would be a first step at bridging the denarii currency into the real world.

Here is what I propose.

I can make a online store platform run by the Republic. Goods which are approved by the aediles would be offered here for sale. Money collected from this sale would go into a separate account controlled by the aediles. When products are perchased by online e-commerce platform would email the aediles and seller. The seller would then send the product and using the platform I may indicate that the order is in the mail. This would trigger another message to the aediles instructing them to transfer the funds from their PayPal account to the seller's.

I would offer coupon codes for perchase. The Senate could set the rate. 100 denarii for a $15 coupon etc. The coupon could only be used one time on items bought from the store. A seller would get paid in USD the full amount. The Republic would pay for the amount covered by the coupons. I would limit the number of coupons which could be used in order to keep things under control economically.

Items bought in the store would require a commission of a set amount. Maybe 15%? So anything bought in the store would contribute to the Republic.

Using such a system denarii can be used in a limited way to buy products. The sender and buyer are being protected and the Republic is increasing its treasury.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor

Next

Return to Main Forum