de praenominibus

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

de praenominibus

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 am

L. Horatia Adamas C. Aurelio Victori C. Florio Lupo Ti. Cilnio Maecenati aliisque civibus S.P.D.

It seems that the cyber gods have decided that I cannot reply to those who responded to my more generic post, so I shall try a new topic.

As I said earlier, the praenomen is the least-used, and least creative, of the Roman tria nomina. The list to which Maecenas referred contains archaic as well as classical praenomina. As I worked only with the classical ones, I am less familiar with the archaic ones, but can more or less verify a few of them. The classical ones are as follows:

Aulus / Aula [A.]
Appius / Appia [Ap.]
Gaïus / Gaïa [C., not G; originally these represented the same sound]
Gnaeus / Gnaea [Cn.]; (also spelled Cneius).
Decimus / Decima [D.]
Kaeso / Caeso [K.; no feminine form]
Lucius / Lucia [L.]
Marcus / Marca [M.]
Manius / Mania [M', that is, M with an apostrophe after it]
Mamercus / Mamerca [Mam.] This is quite rare.
Numerius / Numeria [N.]
Publius / Publia [P.]
Quintus / Quinta [Q.]
Servius / Servia [Ser.]
Spurius / Spuria [Sp.]
Titus / Tita [T.]
Tiberius / Tiberia [Ti.]

These appear in both of my Latin grammars, Allen and Greenough (p. 45, § 108) and Goodwin and González Lodge, p. 493 in the appendix.

Proculus and Tullus are among the archaic praenomina, but I am less familiar with those as I worked with Republican period names up to the early Empire. There are others attested for women; Statia, Paulla, and Fausta come to mind.

As for forms of address (which would be too lengthy here), there is an excellent book by Eleanor Dickey, Latin Forms of Address from Plautus to Apuleius.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Return to Main Forum