Roman Republic Store Starting Ideas

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

Roman Republic Store Starting Ideas

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Salvete!

In order to get a better idea for what the first items should be for my project of the Roman Republic store, I would like to hear back from the citizens!

Download the attached PDF to see pictures and colors.

And if it turns out not to work, then I will always sell these on my own company website - but we all know the issues of that...Anyway, I have complied a starting list:

Stickers ($10.00) - already made, sold in Cassia Longina.
Right now it is only the symbol for the RR, but I would like to expand it to include collegia, assemblies, provinces, etc.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/482355846/roman-republic-stickers

T-Shirts ($30.00) - already made, sold in Cassia Longina.
Both men & women, 2 styles, 6 colors available.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/482369348/roman-republic-shirt-mens
https://www.etsy.com/listing/482889100/roman-republic-shirt-women

A Promotional Toga & Tunic Set ($90.00-100.00)
White, Red, & Gold

Promotional Tunica & Dress Set ($90.00-$100.00)
White, Red, & Gold

Ties ($50.00)
Styles:
    Roman Helmet Pattern
    Mosaic
    Laurel Wreath
    Ancient Map of Rome
    Goddess Statues "Kolonaki"
    Ancient Roman Wall Painting
Breakdown of costs:
Cost of Material (per yard, 2 yards per approx. 3-4 ties)
*Each swatch (test piece for quality, color, wash check) is $5.00. Only 1 is required for each selection.
    Cotton: $17.50
     Satin: $18.00
     Silk: $38.00
To be ordered upon start:
➢ 1 Swatch (per selection of fabric) for testing: $5.00 per swatch
➢ 2-3 Selections of fabric (style, color, & material to be decided): $17.50-$38.00

Roman Republic Flag ($50-75.00)

Roman Republic Calendar
With all festival, ludi, scheduled, historical event dates.
Pictures chosen for each month at a later date.

Let me know what you think! And may the ancestors and gods smile upon our Republic,
C Cassia Longina
Attachments
Roman Republic Items - Beginning List.pdf
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: Roman Republic Store Starting Ideas

Postby Publius Sallustius Quadratus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:44 am

Quadratus Cassia Sal.

Did I do that right? :P I have not studied Latin enough to write the salutations correctly and I suspect I did not conjugate the names correctly!

Anyway, one thought I have, which also goes in line with the Collegium Artium, I believe, is to design and produce votive statuary for Cultus Deorum.

There are many producers of statuary that sell their statues online. Some are better than others. Some of the designs are good. Some of the designs I do not much care for at all.

I would say that I am something of a traditional classicist when it comes to statuary. I studied Classical Greek and Roman art at university (when I was majoring in Art History) and I think I developed something of a discerning eye when it comes to recognizing a classical or neoclassical style and how to separate that which is not quite classical, although it may attempt to imitate classical features in some sense.

That is not to say that everything must be "classical" of course. There is are plenty of wonderful examples of beautiful Roman and Etruscan art that we would not call classical but which we may call traditionally Roman or Italian.

I think it would be a good thing for the Roman Republic if we could produce our own votive images for the use of citizens in their homes. We need not sell them exclusively to citizens however. I think there is a market outside of the Republic among general enthusiasts who enjoy classical art or traditional Roman art. Many people who are not cultores still like to collect art pieces depicting the Gods just to have them as art in their homes and offices. I don't see anything wrong with that. It may even make them more interested in learning about Religio Romana!

To this end I would like to see if anyone else is interested in designing and producing some statuary, mosaic, painting, tapestry, needleword or other devotional artwork that can be sold by the Republic Store.
P. Sallustius Quadratus
Publius Sallustius Quadratus
Governor of Mississippia Borealis
Governor of Mississippia Borealis

Re: Roman Republic Store Starting Ideas

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 am

Salve!

Publius Sallustius Quadratus wrote:Quadratus Cassia Sal.

There are many producers of statuary that sell their statues online. Some are better than others. Some of the designs are good. Some of the designs I do not much care for at all.

I would say that I am something of a traditional classicist when it comes to statuary. I studied Classical Greek and Roman art at university (when I was majoring in Art History) and I think I developed something of a discerning eye when it comes to recognizing a classical or neoclassical style and how to separate that which is not quite classical, although it may attempt to imitate classical features in some sense.

That is not to say that everything must be "classical" of course. There is are plenty of wonderful examples of beautiful Roman and Etruscan art that we would not call classical but which we may call traditionally Roman or Italian.

I think it would be a good thing for the Roman Republic if we could produce our own votive images for the use of citizens in their homes. We need not sell them exclusively to citizens however. I think there is a market outside of the Republic among general enthusiasts who enjoy classical art or traditional Roman art. Many people who are not cultores still like to collect art pieces depicting the Gods just to have them as art in their homes and offices. I don't see anything wrong with that. It may even make them more interested in learning about Religio Romana!

To this end I would like to see if anyone else is interested in designing and producing some statuary, mosaic, painting, tapestry, needleword or other devotional artwork that can be sold by the Republic Store.

Yes, good idea. I think there would be an active market for such items. But the pricing would need to be competitive with the Greek dealers on eBay. I have no experience in this type of art. But I would certainly support your efforts as aedile. I hope you and others develop this idea further. An excellent way to get into the equestrian order too, I might add! ;)

Bene vale!

Horatius
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Return to Main Forum