HOW TO PAY TAX / ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE - plus why doing so benefits you

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo, Titus Flavius Severus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Marcus Flavius Celsus

HOW TO PAY TAX / ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE - plus why doing so benefits you

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 am

Salvete Omnes!

Now that the new year has started membership dues are being collected. This message will explain:

I. How to pay
II. Why being a paying (assidui) member is beneficial to you and the Roman Republic.

PART I: How to pay

There are two ways to pay tax (membership dues).

FIRST WAY: PAY WITH DENARII

If you are active in the projects sponsored by the Roman Republic, you will be rewarded in Denarii. You may pay the annual membership free with this denarii. The rate set by the Senate and voted upon by all citizens this summer was 36 denarii.

Paying with denarii is easy. Here are the steps:

Step I:
Login to your citizen account here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/citizen/login?status=1

Step II:
Go to this link: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/denari ... e_transfer
Note this link only works if you are logged in!

Step III:
SET "Transfer Denarii to" Collegium / Societas
SELECT "Aerarium Populi Romani - Roman Republic Treasury" in the Collegium / Societas drop down menu
TYPE "36" in the "Amount of denarii to transfer" text box
TYPE "Tax for 2017" in the "Comments explaining reason for transaction" text box
CLICK the "I agree" box.
CLICK "Submit application"

That's it. Please provide the Censores about 4 weeks to update your account as we need to do this manually.

SECOND WAY: PAY WITH PAYPAL
This way provides two benefits: (I) Your tax status is updated automatically (II) You get AWARDED 36 denarii for your donation.
Step I:
Login to your citizen account here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/citizen/login?status=1

Step II:
Visit your citizen profile page here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/citizen/myProfile
Note this link only works if you are logged in!

Step III:
Click the "Provide Annual Donation / Tax" button.
Then click the "Pay by Paypal" button which appears.

Step IV:
Login to your paypal account or click pay by credit card or visa debit
Follow the instructions for PayPal payment

Step V:
Click "Return to Merchant" after payment is complete (YOU MUST CLICK THIS BUTTON TO GET THE AUTOMATED UPDATE)
This will automatically update your status to "tax paid" on your citizenship profile. 36 denarii will also be deposited in your account automatically.

PART II: Why pay the tax / membership fee

First, your donation allows the Roman Republic to grow and develop future projects. If you pay with denarii the fee is also free. If you pay by PayPal you actually EARN denarii which can be used to trade for services within the Roman Republic.

Second, you will get more say in the decisions made in the community of the Roman Republic if you pay. Your vote is worth more as you are assigned to rural tribes and lower electoral centuries. This mirrors the ancient tradition. Secondly, to stand for election or hold a position of leadership within our community requires that you are a tax paying citizen / member.

When is tax due?

It is due on July 31st. Until this time there is no immediate impact on holding a tax unpaid status. After July 31st the annual census occurs (in the modern republic it occurs annually - we can thank modern technology for that). During the census the electoral tribes and centuries are reassigned based on the tax status of all citizens reported on July 31st. You can still pay after this date, but it will not positively impact the power of your ballot.

Paying tax during the 2017 calendar year updates your status only for that calendar year. Every citizen is automatically reported as "tax unpaid" on January 1st of a new year.

Extra: How to pay tax on behalf of other citizens

There are two ways for you to pay tax for the citizens.

One in USD. First check the how much a citizen owes in tax by seeing what province they are in. Then check here to see the tax owed: download/file.php?id=357 If you wish to pay this way make a donation here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/denarii/purchasing corrisponding to the amount owed. I will then see to it that the denarii awarded get relocated to the citizens you paid for. After making the donation send a message to the censores for I can finalize this transaction and update the tax status.

The other way is in denarii (36 denarii / citizen). If you wish to pay in denarii then please send denarii to the treasury by going here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/denari ... e_transfer. Select the collegia named: Aerarium Populi Romani - Roman Republic Treasury. In the comments section of this transaction mention that you are paying the tax for other citizens and name them. After making the donation send a message here for I can finalize this transaction and update the tax status.

If you have questions please email the censores at censor@romanrepublic.org
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: HOW TO PAY TAX / ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEE - plus why doing so benefits you

Postby Gaius Claudius Quadratus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Salve!

I was trying to pay the tax, but the links did not work for me. You are hereby authorized to take the 36 denarii from my account for that purpose.

Vale!
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Augur
Augur

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Sal.

Would the Senate consider automatically withdrawing the denarii if it is contained in an account by a certain date? Maybe the day before the census starts?

It would be a shame to loose your tribe and century due to being away or unavailable between January-July.

With this system anyone who can pay in denarii and has not already paid would be credited the 36 denarii by a set date. In other words, make them system opt out focused over opt in.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Curio Laene Sal.

Myself and Philo are looking into that option currently. Thank you for bringing up it as a suggestion though. :)

Vale Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Omnis enim ex infirmitate feritas est
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Consul
Consul
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Governor of Transborealis Silva
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:Sal.

Would the Senate consider automatically withdrawing the denarii if it is contained in an account by a certain date? Maybe the day before the census starts?

It would be a shame to loose your tribe and century due to being away or unavailable between January-July.

With this system anyone who can pay in denarii and has not already paid would be credited the 36 denarii by a set date. In other words, make them system opt out focused over opt in.

This is a good idea.
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas
Cereris Sacerdos
Cereris Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas wrote:
Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:Sal.

This is a good idea.

I am leading a proposal in the senate on this matter. I sent you a message with a copy of the proposal.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor

Return to Main Forum