File requests for the Censores here

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Lucius Livius Seneca, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Re: File requests for the Censores here

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 am

L. Horatia Adamas L. Curtio Philoni L. Aurelio Curioni Ti. Julio Nervae omnibusque S.P.D.

Au contraire, mes amis. NR's nomenclature practices, like those of some reenactment legions, were indeed pretty ghastly in its early days--but some years ago better-disposed censors and some genuine Latinists (as opposed to those who may have had some Latin, but had forgotten too much) conducted extensive research into Roman nomenclature. The NR nomenclature pages are based on said research into such works as the Pauly, the Fasti Consulares, and several more modern tomes on this subject. Finnish scholars are especially fond of nomenclature, and have written several books on Roman nomenclature. Fortunately for most of us, they are not in Finnish, but German or English (or Latin). The censura might like to consult Mika Kajava, "Roman Female Praenomina," Heikki Solin, "Namenpaare: eine Studie zur Römischen Namengebunge," [spelling of last word uncertain], Heikki Solin, and Olli Salomies, "Repertorium nominum gentilium et cognominum Latinorum," W. Schulze, "Zur Geschichte Lateinischer Eigennamen," Olli Salomies, " Adoptive and Polyonomous Nomenclature in the Roman Empire," H. Solin and O. Salomies, "Die Römischen Vornamen," W. Schultze, "Die Jungsten Schichten der Gentilnamensbildung," etc., though these might be hard to find.

Thus it is that NR's nomenclature pages are based on these and other scholarly references, and are quite accurate. My personal references do not list 'Palla' as a cognomen, but there are similar ones, and those such as 'Pulcher,' which do not follow the usual instructions in these matters, i.e., that cognomina should be uncomplimentary, refer to unusual physical features or to animals, etc. NR allows the names of occupations as well as toponyms if one no longer lives in the area in question, plus Latinizations of one's own name (but of ONLY one name), though it forbids the names or titles of deities and highly complimentary names such as 'Maximus' or 'Augustus.' The living Latin courses I taught required the students surviving to Lesson 40 to take a Roman name or to Latinize all of their names, largely under the supervision of a senior Latinist quite interested in nomenclature, so my own interest in this topic has been enhanced by all of the above.

Obiter, this group allows archaic (and other) praenomina not allowed in NR, or other groups, which might provoke as much laughter from the knowledgeable as do / did the very early NR names formed by adding a Latin termination to anything which sounded vaguely Latin. Much the same could be said about the names chosen by some reenactment legionaries, but those preferring authenticity will go for genuine Roman names, not something bearing a very minimal resemblance thereto.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Quintus Iulius Symphorianus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

On 01/3 I paid $9 to cover my taxes for this year, but while that $9 is very much missing from my bank balance the tax is still listed as unpaid; and no denarii have been transferred to my civic account. I'd appreciate it if the censores could straighten out my tax status.
Moribus antiquis stat res romana virisque. -- Ennius
Romanitas and pietas is not an RPG. -- L. Metilius Niger

Need a website for your province/collegium/societas? Do allow me to help!
Quintus Iulius Symphorianus

Postby Quintus Iulius Symphorianus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Quintus Iulius Symphorianus wrote:On 01/3 I paid $9 to cover my taxes for this year, but while that $9 is very much missing from my bank balance the tax is still listed as unpaid; and no denarii have been transferred to my civic account. I'd appreciate it if the censores could straighten out my tax status.

Eheu! Silly me, I didn't click the 'return to merchant' button :/ Which it seems is something of a requirement; which I only now find out *after* I donated a small sum to see if the denarii would be added. So if somebody could fix my tax status and give me my 45 denarii, that'd be great.
Moribus antiquis stat res romana virisque. -- Ennius
Romanitas and pietas is not an RPG. -- L. Metilius Niger

Need a website for your province/collegium/societas? Do allow me to help!
Quintus Iulius Symphorianus

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 am

Tax status has been updated and you should receive your denarii in the near future.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Augur
Augur

Postby Faustus Marcius Merula » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Salve! Я бы хотел изменить третью часть моего имени. Я бы хотел, сменить Мерула на Меркурий, в честь Бога Меркурия.
Faustus Marcius Merula

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Curio Cen. Sal.

It is not the practice of the RR to approve names based on gods, unless it has been proven that such a name existed in antiquity. If you could provide proof of this, I shall consider making this change, my friend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Практика РР не утверждает утверждения, основанные на богах, если не доказано, что такое имя существовало в древности. Если бы вы могли доказать это, я подумаю об этом, мой друг.

Bonam Noctem!

L. Aurelius Curio
Censor Maior
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Augur
Augur

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

L. Livius v. c. et inl. L. Aurelio ces. sal.

For what it's worth, there are a number of individuals with the name Aurelius Mercurius attested in third and fourth-century sources. The lack of a praenomen is a feature of the historical disintegration of the tria nomina in the Late Empire. Here are a few examples:

• At Salona (the Roman capitol of Dalmatia) there are several inscriptions which mention a collegium official named Aurelius Mercurius. Here's a doctoral dissertation that describes them.
  • A. K. Bowman (1969) has an article on one of the Oxyrhynchus papyri (2228) which documents an Egyptian military official named Aurelius Mercurius.
  • A floor tile from the Roman colony of Drobeta in Dacia has an inscription that names Aurelius Mercurius as the soldier and master brick-layer who conducted repairs on the baths there (AE 1939, 19).
Of greatest interest, however, is a tomb from the reign of the Emperor Hadrian in the Isola Sacra Necropolis near Rome in which a man named M. Iulius Mercurius was buried.

They're all admittedly late and mostly provincial, but they do exist.

Vale.
L. LIVIVS ANI. SENECA
V. C. ET INL. PR. VR.MAG. COLL. L.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Senator
Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Praetor Urbanus
Praetor Urbanus

Postby Faustus Marcius Merula » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Еще раз,Salve! У меня есть два доказательства и человек,что произнёс своё
слово о когномен Меркурий выше. Я утверждаю на базе двух источников, что
этот когномен был в древности.
Источники:
http://edh-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/ed ... 44&lang=en
http://edh-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/ed ... 01&lang=en

И подкрепляю ещё свои слова словами гражданина, которые вы можете увидеть
на Форуме.
Из всего выше перечисленного прошу, изменить мой когномен с Мерулы, на Меркурий
Спасибо!
Faustus Marcius Merula

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Curio Sal.

Your name has been updated.
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Censor
Censor
Proconsul
Proconsul
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Augur
Augur

Is a name change possible?

Postby Titus Asinius Dento » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 pm

I am one of the original signers of the Declaration. Is it possible for me to change my name? I am primarily interested in changing my praenomen, but if I were to take a new nomen and cognomen, would that affect my patrician status?
Titus Asinius Dento

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum