Collegium of history?

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Re: Collegium of history?

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:45 pm

I agree. I am a Late Roman Republic historian and I am more than willing to share my essays and articles. (:
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 am

Tiberius Publicius Gracchus wrote: When that occurred is subject to debate due to the survival of the Eastern Roman Empire through the Middle Ages. In the West, civilization more or less collapsed in the fifth century throughout many parts of what was the Roman Empire.

Salvete!

It is funny how people think that the Byzantine Empire, whose capital was Constantinople and whose people were and spoke Greek, was actually Roman, but the Holy Roman Empire, whose capital was Rome and whose official language was Latin, was not Roman.

The Empire was divided and reunited so many times since Diocletian. What is so special about the reunification in 476 that it is considered the end of Rome? And what is so special about the new division in 800 that it is not recognized?

But maybe this shouldbe subject to later discussions in the collegium.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:53 pm

I do need help with the bylaws. I do not think too many rules are necessary, as long as the discussion is civil. I believe naming of sources should be strongly encouraged. But I know that when someone is widely read on a topic, it might be hard for them to remember precisely where they read it. As far as how the collegium is run, I have been reading some of the bylaws of other groups. I think anyone should be able to make a suggestion, and then vote on it. But I see it as primarily a discussion group, and a place to submit more formal essays. There should be a moderator in case the discussion goes completely off topic, but history is a broad subject.

I am not sure what else might come up. I have seen some discussions on ancient history get heated, especially discussions of how Roman the "Byzantine" Empire was, whether Macedonia was Greece, and so forth. I think that in these cases it might be best to just agree to disagree. I am not saying don't discuss it, but if it turns into a flame war, just stop it, because the facts aren't going to change, and strongly held opinions aren't likely to either. I think everyone here is a mature adult, but I have seen some pretty ugly discussions elsewhere on the Internet.

Roman Civilization lasted for a very long time, there is certainly plenty to discuss. All of the written material and archeology from ancient Rome is part of history so I am pretty exited to get this discussion going.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Postby Postumus Galerius Galba » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:32 am

I propose these bylaws for this collegium -

Collegium Historiae (CH) - Bylaws

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient Roman history, and related discussion and study.

I. Description of how leadership is selected, how long terms are to last, how leadership is to be replaced.

The collegium will be administered by a minimum of 2 officers who shall be elected for a term of 1 year, with no restrictions on term limits. Elections will take place in December of each year to elect a successor for the following January. The officers must be registered citizens of the Roman Republic.

If an officer position becomes unfilled it is to be filled by an election as specified for selecting a magister or praeceptore. If an officer position becomes between after October 1st-December 31st then the election to replace this officer is to be deferred until the regular December elections.

The collegium will also have these offices open for election:

a. Magister - Two are elected and jointly head the Collegia. The two magisteres act as colleagues and can veto the others actions.

b. Praeceptore - The magisters may decide how many praeceptores are to be elected for the coming year. These officers are assigned any duty or administrative tasks viewed as needed by the magisteres.

All Roman citizens shall be entitled to vote for leadership positions. Each citizen will be entitled to 1 vote. Should a tie occur the serving magister with the lowest citizenship ID is to decide the tie. Voting in done in any matter that is fair with each citizen holding equal power in the vote. Electronic voting may be conducted online for 14 days.

II. Description of how members of the collegium are removed and what appeals process will be used in these cases.

If a problem arises between members, they are encouraged to work out the issue between themselves. If the members cannot reach an agreement, the entire group will attempt to work out an issue. The magisteres have a final say in disputes.

III. Good Standing

Members of the collegium must remain in good standing. A member may be removed by:

1. Engaging in actions that would be deemed offensive by other members
2. Resigning membership
3. The inability to contact the member
4. Posting inappropriate comments or topics
5. Harassing other members or disrespecting the ideas of others

IV. Formation & Dissolution

The collegium may be dissolved by a unanimous vote of the magisteres and praeceptores.

V. Meetings

The collegium may hold group meetings, either through messages or video call, as needed and required. Any citizen in good standing may call a meeting. Citizens must be notified of a meeting 7 days before the meeting occurs. During these meetings the magisteres and praeceptores may vote on matters pertaining to collegia business. These matters are decided by majority vote.

VI. Amendments

These rules may be amended when needed by a majority vote of the citizens responding to a vote during a meeting.

VII. Transfer of Denarii

Members of the collegium will fund the group (if applicable) wherein funds are needed for projects etc.

If the dissolution of the group occurs, any remaining accounts will be transferred to the general reserves of the Roman Republic or to another collegia group as decided by the final say of the magisteres. No citizen is to receive any funds in this case.

Use of collegia funds will be first approved by a majority vote of the magisteres and praeceptores.
POST. GALERIVS POL. GALBA AED. P.
Postumus Galerius Galba
Plebeian Aedile
Plebeian Aedile

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Postumus Galerius Galba wrote:Ib. Praeceptore - The magisters may decide how many praeceptores are to be elected for the coming year. These officers are assigned any duty or administrative tasks viewed as needed by the magisteres.[/i]

Make sure that magisters are changed to magistri!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:18 pm

I have decided to found this collegium and I am to select leaders ii, iii, and iv. I have a draft of the bylaws:

I) Description of how leadership is selected, how long terms are to last, how leadership is to be replaced.
Members of the collegium vote for their leaders for terms of one year. There can be early elections in case someone resignss
II) Description of who is entitled to voting membership within a collegium or societas.
I believe the collegium should be open to any member of the Roman Republic who wishes to join.
III) Description of how members of a collegium or societas are removed and what appeals process will be used in these cases.
I don’t think this should be left up to a decision by one person. I think that there should be at least 3 mods and all three should have to agree to remove a disruptive individual. I think we should come up with clear rules that spell out reasons to remove an individual. If that citizen wishes to appeal the decision, members of the collegium should be able to vote. I think a 2/3 majority should suffice.
IV) A conflict mediation process for any internal conflicts which occur within a collegium or societas
In that case if disagreements which are a matter of opinion, everyone is allowed to have their opinion as long as discussions are civil. If there is a discussion that is going in circles, and is completely subjective, that thread should be locked. A disagreement on what the goals of the collegium should be should be put to a vote. Majority rules.
V) Rules for the authorizing group denarii transfers
Once the group has come to a decision to work on a project that requires the transfer of denarii, the leaders of the group should be authorized to make that transfer.

VI) Rules for dissolving a collegium or societas. These rules must outline who receives any denarii left in a group account upon dissolution. If the group is a collegium all denarii must be donated to either the senate or another collegium. A societas may donate any remaining denarii to any citizen or group.
The leaders of the group should make that decision, which would then be voted upon by members of the group. This seems like a very drastic decision, I don’t think it should be made unless everyone agrees it is the right thing to do. If the case the collegium is dissolved, my preference would be that any denarii be donated to another collegium. This could be voted on at the same time the vote to dissolve our collegium is held.
VII) Must outline protocol for amending bylaws or description/purpose of the group
The leader of the group makes the proposal, and it is voted on by members of the group.
VIII) Must outline protocol for holding group meetings. Must outline who is entitled to attend meetings and how far in advance members must be notified of a meeting.

I think group meetings should be held on a schedule, or when the leaders of the group think it is necessary, and any member of the group in good standing should be allowed to attend. Members should be noted at least a month in advance.
Any application that does not contain comprehensive bylaws addressing all of the above will not be approved by the aediles.

This is a work in progress, but I would like this group to be up before the Parilia, the birthday of Roma. So if no one has any suggestions I will submit this and see how it goes.

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:21 pm

As far as who the leaders should be, I can dedicate a few hours on Sunday Mornings, and I also have been privately studying Roman history. My eventual goal is to get through all of the primary sources, at lest what has been translated into English, and some modern sources. This is not easy reading but I am making progress.

But it looks like there needs to be iv leaders of the collegium.

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Postumus Galerius Galba wrote:I propose these bylaws for this collegium -

Collegium Historiae (CH) - Bylaws

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient Roman history, and related discussion and study.

I. Description of how leadership is selected, how long terms are to last, how leadership is to be replaced.

The collegium will be administered by a minimum of 2 officers who shall be elected for a term of 1 year, with no restrictions on term limits. Elections will take place in December of each year to elect a successor for the following January. The officers must be registered citizens of the Roman Republic.

If an officer position becomes unfilled it is to be filled by an election as specified for selecting a magister or praeceptore. If an officer position becomes between after October 1st-December 31st then the election to replace this officer is to be deferred until the regular December elections.

The collegium will also have these offices open for election:

a. Magister - Two are elected and jointly head the Collegia. The two magisteres act as colleagues and can veto the others actions.

b. Praeceptore - The magisters may decide how many praeceptores are to be elected for the coming year. These officers are assigned any duty or administrative tasks viewed as needed by the magisteres.

All Roman citizens shall be entitled to vote for leadership positions. Each citizen will be entitled to 1 vote. Should a tie occur the serving magister with the lowest citizenship ID is to decide the tie. Voting in done in any matter that is fair with each citizen holding equal power in the vote. Electronic voting may be conducted online for 14 days.

II. Description of how members of the collegium are removed and what appeals process will be used in these cases.

If a problem arises between members, they are encouraged to work out the issue between themselves. If the members cannot reach an agreement, the entire group will attempt to work out an issue. The magisteres have a final say in disputes.

III. Good Standing

Members of the collegium must remain in good standing. A member may be removed by:

1. Engaging in actions that would be deemed offensive by other members
2. Resigning membership
3. The inability to contact the member
4. Posting inappropriate comments or topics
5. Harassing other members or disrespecting the ideas of others

IV. Formation & Dissolution

The collegium may be dissolved by a unanimous vote of the magisteres and praeceptores.

V. Meetings

The collegium may hold group meetings, either through messages or video call, as needed and required. Any citizen in good standing may call a meeting. Citizens must be notified of a meeting 7 days before the meeting occurs. During these meetings the magisteres and praeceptores may vote on matters pertaining to collegia business. These matters are decided by majority vote.

VI. Amendments

These rules may be amended when needed by a majority vote of the citizens responding to a vote during a meeting.

VII. Transfer of Denarii

Members of the collegium will fund the group (if applicable) wherein funds are needed for projects etc.

If the dissolution of the group occurs, any remaining accounts will be transferred to the general reserves of the Roman Republic or to another collegia group as decided by the final say of the magisteres. No citizen is to receive any funds in this case.

Use of collegia funds will be first approved by a majority vote of the magisteres and praeceptores.

Sorry I missed this earlier. These seem like they would be good bylaws. I am not a lawyer :D I will use these, thank you!

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 am

L. Horatia Adamas P. Galerio Galbae Ti. Publicio Graccho omnibusque S.P.D.

As noted in another post, I have not received the digest messages for some two weeks or so, and therefore missed the earlier discussion on this. To me, forming a historically-oriented collegium is a capital idea, especially if one does not bar social history, cultural history, and the like. First, however, in the process of setting up a framework, let us not make ourselves laughingstocks by torturing the Latin language. I see Cassia has indicated one correction, and methinks that there are others.

The Latin word 'magister' is in the second, not the third, declension, and (as Cassia noted) forms its plural as 'magistri.' There are no such creatures as 'magisteres,' which would be a third-declension word--IF it existed. There also is no such beast as 'magisters.' The 'e' before the 'r' is dropped in the oblique cases of this group of second declension nouns, so the plural is 'magistri,' and only 'magistri.'

'Praeceptores' means much the same as 'magistri,' and is correct in form, but its singular is 'praeceptor,' not 'praeceptore,' which, however, is a legitimate form for the ablative case, but not the nominative. However, a personal title likely would not be used in the ablative without a preposition unless an ablative absolute were in the offing or this word were the object of a verb governing the ablative--all five of them. For the nominative, or subject, we want 'praeceptor' in the singular, 'praeceptores' in the plural.

Also please note: 'veto the others' actions,' with an apostrophe; this is the English possessive. We may also say 'of the others.'

Obiter, A term limit really is not necessary initially, but may become so eventually, so provision should be made for that. There should always be a backup in case of death or disability.

Please consider these corrections.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:54 am

Lucia, I will make the changes before I try to resubmit this, perhaps after having members of the Latin collegium look at it. I was unable to submit the first time as I got a message saying there was another collegium of the same name. Perhaps someone already subbmited it and it hasn't yet been approved? Anyway I need to chose another magister to oversee elections once the collegium is formed, preferably someone who either had formal training in Classics or Roman history.

But did someone already submit the application, and if so, why has it not been approved?

Previous

Return to Main Forum