Collegium of history?

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Collegium of history?

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:55 am

Would it be possible to have a collegium where we could discuss Roman history? I am especially interested in the period from the age of the Gracchi through the age of Augustus. I have actually purchased quite a few books on Roman history but I haven't got around to reading most of them. I think that when I'm done with The Nature of the Gods I will read something on the life of Cicero.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Re: Collegium of history?

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:25 am

I agree wholeheartedly with this decision and would like to see something like a Collegium of history to come into being.
If i could give some advice on books of Cicero try reading "On Living and dying well" it is a fascinating read and I found it very enlightening.
Do not yield to misfortunes, but advance more boldly to meet them, as your fortune permits you.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:51 am

Sal.

I support this idea. It is amazing it is not already done! Let me know if you need help drafting bylaws for the proposed collegium.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Praetor Peregrinus
Praetor Peregrinus

Postby Septimus Licinius Lucullus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:05 pm

That sounds like a wonder full idea! I am very much into roman army history.
Septimus Licinius Lucullus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:23 pm

I believe it would be a great idea. You guys are free to make such a Collegium. If I may suggest a name, what do you think of Collegium Rerum
Gestarum Scriptorum or Collegium Historiae. The first means "Historians' College". The second, "College of History". I personally prefer the first, but it IS kinda long lol
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 pm

What are the steps to founding a Collegium?

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:50 pm

"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:40 am

I am able to help with the bylaws. Just send me a PM.
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm

I am able to help, too! I have a lot of experience with starting collegia - I started 7 of my own! So I would be more than happy to help you if you wish! (:
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:18 pm

As far as a description of the organization, I would like it to be a place where topics related to Roman history can be discussed, or possible essays could be written on topics of Roman history. Roman history stretching from the regal period through the fall of the Roman Empire. When that occurred is subject to debate due to the survival of the Eastern Roman Empire through the Middle Ages. In the West, civilization more or less collapsed in the fifth century throughout many parts of what was the Roman Empire.

History is a broad topic. Roman historians generally covered political and military history, but modern historians also cover topics such as social history or cultural history, which may be covered by other collegia. Discussing these topics in a historical context should be encouraged. Besides ancient Rome, I think it might be appropriate to discuss the history of this organization. I realize it was just founded this year. One could also include information on the reconstructionist movement in general.

So I think the goal of the organization should be to study these topics, discuss them, and to write essays describing what everyone is learning. I believe that when you are studying these topics on your own, that is a great thing, but when you discuss it with others, who might have come to slightly different conclusions than you, or have focused on other aspects of Roman history, there is a potential for great discussions. I enjoy studying the last century of the Roman Republic because there is so much literature from that period.

Next

Return to Main Forum