Minting coins for our Republic

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Tiberia Salvia Alba

Re: Minting coins for our Republic

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:53 am

Salvete!

I would appreciate if we could together start building a list of manufacturers and quotes. As Consul I will be looking at getting this project up and running. :)
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:49 am

I have contacted a friend of mine who makes coins for various groups and he will get back to me shortly.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Legatus Legio X Cohor III
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:57 pm

My associate contacted me back and said he can undercut any manufacturer. The next step in getting a quote would be to send him the artwork to make a proof. Anyone want to undertake this? It would need to be a vector file.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus

Ordo Equester
Legatus Legio X Cohor III
Praefectus Legionus
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:11 pm

That is great! I am really glad I brought up this idea :)
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:24 pm

I have provided the contact information for a gentleman friend of mine who has contacted a minting company and who has received a shipment of coins which have the same intent as the idea you all now have for minting coins. However, as usual, I see no evidence that such information has been used. So, I will contact the gentleman myself and provde whatever information he has. My original hesitation was that such a project was not within my realm of responsibility, but if no one else will do so then I will.
Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:22 pm

I humbly offer this coin design to the senate. If the senate would like to buy this design I can negotiate a very reasonable denarii fee.

The heads side of the coin has Janus the God of beginnings and endings. This is in reference to the foundation of the Republic. In latin is the phase, "The Establishment". On the tails side of the coin is the year of foundation, listing our two consuls and the Latin phrase, "Freedom Begins". This phrase is a reference to the long tyranny that has plagued our community within Nova Roma and elsewhere before the foundation of our Republic. The image on this side is a plow. This refers to Romulus marking out the boundaries of Rome upon its foundation. It also refers to Cincinnatus who was called upon by the Roman people to leave his plow and fields and save the ancient Republic. After such success, he voluntarily gave up the dictatorship and returned to his fields. Similarly, our founders could have used their skills to do anything they wanted. But instead, they used their skills to save the modern Rome and the Republican system of governance within our nation.

I hope you like this work.

coin_proposal_small.png
coin_proposal_small.png (51.74 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Curtius Philo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:I humbly offer this coin design to the senate. If the senate would like to buy this design I can negotiate a very reasonable denarii fee.

The heads side of the coin has Janus the God of beginnings and endings. This is in reference to the foundation of the Republic. In latin is the phase, "The Establishment". On the tails side of the coin is the year of foundation, listing our two consuls and the Latin phrase, "Freedom Begins". This phrase is a reference to the long tyranny that has plagued our community within Nova Roma and elsewhere before the foundation of our Republic. The image on this side is a plow. This refers to Romulus marking out the boundaries of Rome upon its foundation. It also refers to Cincinnatus who was called upon by the Roman people to leave his plow and fields and save the ancient Republic. After such success, he voluntarily gave up the dictatorship and returned to his fields. Similarly, our founders could have used their skills to do anything they wanted. But instead, they used their skills to save the modern Rome and the Republican system of governance within our nation.

I hope you like this work.

coin_proposal_small.png

Salve!

Laenas, do you ever get tired of impressing people? Why don't you just tell the senate to deposit bags of denarii at your preferred location. (Wink. Wink.)

I love that design. Love it.

vale.

Philo
L. CURTIUS PHILO COS. SEN.
Lucius Curtius Philo
Consul
Consul
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:33 pm

That is a wonderful design, Laenas! And thank you for providing the symbolism behind it, truly an inspired idea!
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:38 am

I want to buy this now.

It would find a honoured place in my lararium.
Tiberius Cilnius Maecenas

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 am

Something to keep in mind, if we are to stay true to Roman denarii, they range from the size of a dime to a penny. Also minting them at original size in silver would keep the metal cost down as well versus a larger coin.
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum