Minting coins for our Republic

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Re: Minting coins for our Republic

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Marcus Livius Horatius wrote:They would make nice prizes for ludi. Maybe 50% denarii prize can be in physical currency?

It could aye. The good thing about these prices is that it permits even Gentes to issue comemorstive coins (sanctioned by the Republic). It is acessable. The only problem I see in it is how we would convert physical Denarii to digital ones (could one PAY the Republic with Physical Denarii? Who would receive it? How would it be stored?) It is a complicated matter. At first the Denarii coins will most likely stay as comemorative coins for the most part until we solve this.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Just send the coins to the corporate head office. We legally have one.
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Marcus Livius Horatius wrote:Just send the coins to the corporate head office. We legally have one.

Really? Where is it? How can we confirm that it got there and fiscalize its content? Who is responsible for this office?
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Gaius Aurelius Victor wrote:
Marcus Livius Horatius wrote:Just send the coins to the corporate head office. We legally have one.

Really? Where is it? How can we confirm that it got there and fiscalize its content? Who is responsible for this office?

You tell me. You are a director of the Corporation. But every corporation in Canada, and really any country, needs a mailing address.
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Lucius Curtius Philo wrote:
Gaius Cominius Laenas wrote:I humbly offer this coin design to the senate. If the senate would like to buy this design I can negotiate a very reasonable denarii fee.

The heads side of the coin has Janus the God of beginnings and endings. This is in reference to the foundation of the Republic. In latin is the phase, "The Establishment". On the tails side of the coin is the year of foundation, listing our two consuls and the Latin phrase, "Freedom Begins". This phrase is a reference to the long tyranny that has plagued our community within Nova Roma and elsewhere before the foundation of our Republic. The image on this side is a plow. This refers to Romulus marking out the boundaries of Rome upon its foundation. It also refers to Cincinnatus who was called upon by the Roman people to leave his plow and fields and save the ancient Republic. After such success, he voluntarily gave up the dictatorship and returned to his fields. Similarly, our founders could have used their skills to do anything they wanted. But instead, they used their skills to save the modern Rome and the Republican system of governance within our nation.

I hope you like this work.

coin_proposal_small.png

Salve!

Laenas, do you ever get tired of impressing people? Why don't you just tell the senate to deposit bags of denarii at your preferred location. (Wink. Wink.)

I love that design. Love it.

vale.

Philo

Great to see progressing being made.

Does the senate want to buy my design? I ask for 120 denarii. I think the price might go up at the end of the month.

Let me know what you decide.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Marcus Livius Horatius wrote:
Gaius Aurelius Victor wrote:

You tell me. You are a director of the Corporation. But every corporation in Canada, and really any country, needs a mailing address.

When I was invited to be one of the Directors that was one information that was omitted lol so I know as much as you. Will ask Brutus on this.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Regarding the exchange rate of the denarius:
For coins of precious metal with intrinsic values the exchange rate is of course not set by the Senate or a magistrate, but by the current silver price. Therefore the discussion how the denarius should be valued against the dollar is pointless. The denarius will have the value of its silver content with the normal daily fluctuations as we know them for any other currency.

Only if we decide to establish a fiat currency with coins made of some cheap metal, the Senate would be able to fix it against the dollar.

Curate ut valeatis!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Regarding the exchange rate of the denarius:
For coins of precious metal with intrinsic values the exchange rate is of course not set by the Senate or a magistrate, but by the current silver price. Therefore the discussion how the denarius should be valued against the dollar is pointless. The denarius will have the value of its silver content with the normal daily fluctuations as we know them for any other currency.

Only if we decide to establish a fiat currency with coins made of some cheap metal, the Senate would be able to fix it against the dollar.

Curate ut valeatis!

SALVE!

Dammit, now I wish I didn't spend my whole hoard of precious metals on cheap wine and other crude entertainments! It really seemed like a good idea at the time. I guess because of my folly the senate will have to fix the value of the denarius to the crappy dollar, at least until I sober up and remember where I buried my backup silver coin hoard. I could have sworn it was by that tree in my backyard, but so far no luck.

I will keep you posted... 8-)

VALE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:10 am

I offer this additional proposal.

This coin differs from my previous in displaying the image of a toga-clad voter depositing a ballot into the traditional basket used during the ancient comitia. This image reflects the resumption of regular Roman elections within the Republic after the dictatorship of NR. It also represents the accomplishments of this year's comitia meetings resulting in the foundation of our Republic, government, and just legal system. Beneath this image is written in Latin, "Freedom Begins". Above the image is the year of the founding of the modern Republic and also the names of the founding consuls.

This image is based upon an actual coin minted in 63 BCE during the ancient Republic.

Please accept this proposal for consideration.

coin_proposal_small2.png
coin_proposal_small2.png (49.17 KiB) Viewed 720 times

c-cassius-longinus-63bc-cng-wc-cca-thumb.jpg
c-cassius-longinus-63bc-cng-wc-cca-thumb.jpg (5.97 KiB) Viewed 720 times

The ancient coin this proposal is inspired from.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Quaestor
Quaestor
Senator
Senator

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:28 am

I like it very much. The only difference I'd make it is in making it an Aureus instead of a Denarius (because I don't think it would be economically viable to actually mint single denarii) and to make all U letters into V (the first side is fine, the second one is the one with the UU)
Gaius Curtius Philo

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum