Minting coins for our Republic

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Minting coins for our Republic

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:59 am

Salve all,

I am looking at companies to mint coins for our Republic, would anyone be interested in contributing or designing one? I would think a commemorative one for the founding would be appropriate to start with styled after an authentic Ancient Roman coin with our own design mixed in.

Please let me know your thoughts!
Decimus Arrius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia

Re: Minting coins for our Republic

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:54 am

Salve!

I have looked into this. Many of the companies that mint "challenge coins" could help us produce such coins for the republic. Start up costs are around $300-500.

I could design the graphics for a coin. This might also be an interesting competition! There are many things we could do with this!

Vale,

M. Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile-Elect
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:57 am

L. Livius, quaestor designatus D. Arrio sal.

I would love to see some physical currency minted for the Res Publica, and would gladly contribute to such an endeavour. It would be a great conversation starter to have mixed up with the change in one's pocket, as well as a small step toward the physical community envisioned by the Declaration. If the coins are merely commemorative tokens, that is one thing; if, however, there is to be any relation between these coins and the Res Publica denarius, you should probably consult with the aedilitas curulis which oversees the state treasury.

Do keep us posted on this project!

Vale.
Lucius Livius Seneca
Quaestor
Quaestor

Postby Gaius Claudius Quadratus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Salvete!

I too am in favor of minting coinage. But with this caveat: The coins should not look like cheap souvenir tokens but be made of good quality bronze. I would be happy to contribute to this effort.

Valete!
C. Claudius Quadratus
Gaius Claudius Quadratus
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Augur
Augur

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 pm

There was a gentleman in Nova Roma (Marcus Cassius Julianus) who actually did the same thing for that organization. As I recall, he did have some concerns about the whole procedure and who he was dealing with. I would recommend that you consult with him about his efforts in this enterprise. It may help to avoid some concerns down the line. Marcus Cassius is a good fellow and has none of the bad marks that others in that organization have. We are good friends. He was one of the founders of NR, before Sulla got hold of it, and is also the founder of Byzantium Novum.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I think coinage would be a good thing as well, but it could be utilized different initially. Coins could be minted and sold for denarii, and then used at public events. Now this would come down to cost, as we may well need bulk coinage. Another option is to have the die made, and we purchase blanks, which then can be stamp pressed into a coin. At one of my events, we had a Legionnaire stamping coins for kids. They loved it. It would make for a good keepsake, plus allow us to give back to the community.

On another side, we could produce higher quality coins which could be sold to members. Coming from a military background, we had challenge coins. Make certain coins for certain events. Realistically, the possibilities are endless, and a potential form of revenue.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Tribunus Laticlavius
Ordo Equester
Legatus Legio X Cohor III
Praefectus Legionus
Decurio Gens Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 am

Augustus, how was the coin stamp made by your legion?

If we go the challenge coin method then the start-up costs are about $400-700 range. See - - http://www.signaturecoins.com/coin-pricing.htm/

If we minted coins then I would make them the modern Aureus. We could then sell one Aurueus for about 24 denarii or $6.
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Marcus Aurelius Seianus » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 am

Horatius, I have no idea when the stamp was made, probably 20-30 years ago, but I am surmising it was made by one of our metalsmiths. Everything is hand made on site at the fort, so the stamp could have been made from there. It looked very hand made, but it was extremely detailed. I will try and get a picture of one of our coins and upload it so you can see.

I have an associate who owns a "challenge coin" business, and I will follow up today with him to see how much he would charge. Normally, all he needs is a vector file for the machine, then he can run them.
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Tribunus Laticlavius
Ordo Equester
Legatus Legio X Cohor III
Praefectus Legionus
Decurio Gens Aurelius
Marcus Aurelius Seianus
Governor of Eria
Governor of Eria

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I think this is an interesting idea!

I would be glad to submit some designs. (:

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Salvete Quirites!

If we decide to mint coins, we should also rethink the concept of our currency, which is currently far too virtual for having physical coins as equivalent of its value.
The denarius would need to become fully convertible in order to have real value, which means we cannot simply create them "out of thin air" as reward to citizens.
Therefore I would like to use this occasion to publish again my discussion paper regarding this topic.
discussion paper.pdf
(313.57 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

If we want to mint coins that represent our currency, we have to get serious about it. It would require some effort by the quaestores, but no major financial investment by the treasury of our Republic.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Next

Return to Main Forum