PUBLIC DISCUSSION: Senate meeting (Session III)

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Titus Flavius Severus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Lucius Curtius Philo

Re: PUBLIC DISCUSSION: Senate meeting (Session III)

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:23 am

Procula Valeria Messalla wrote:Lupus, I hope your wise words are considered by the senate. There is room to rehabilitate Sulla and Caesar. Upsetting the "emperors of NR" is not wise if our republic strives for unity.

SALVE VALERIA!

How serendipitous that you return to grace us with your perspicacity. I don't know how we could endure without your gormless commentaries. Welcome back. Do not trouble yourself too much; I will be observing thee.

Isn't it nice that the res publica and senate has such services?

VALTE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 am

Valeria,
Look who has reappeared! And all but at the perfect time. Welcome back.

For all the other respectable citizens,
As your tribunes, myself and Audens have thoroughly considered all that you have said. We have decided against a veto in regard to this lex.

My request has been met and my concerns settled - the People will vote on this, so a veto is unnecessary.

This lex will set a precedent. Be aware of this and take into mind all the repercussions that may come along with this.

Just as I said in my campaign speech to become your tribune, I will say it again.

From what I have heard from some of our members, retired from the disgrace that their former society has become, I promise that no such thing will happen in our Republic. I, too, was subject to the tyranny of a former alliance.

Even if I esteemed my former community once, I would not be able to put up with their actions any longer. Are we going to be hindered in our effort to break the bonds if someone tells us that our Republic is nothing? We are not, for we stand up to the name of common freedom and common rights for all citizens. Let the word break out at last – a true word – if their views of this body are governed by a nod from a dictator, then I must say that is not the direction I want our Republic to turn. All other communities may sit idle in their search for justice, but we do not. And for no other reason than because those others shun toil and pain and hard work, whereas we have experienced this in every decision and act. So splendid is our recovery that even the others cannot deny.

We stand united, fellow citizens, against the gaze of tyrants. Against those that wish us bad fortune.

Let us come together and fight for what is rightfully ours. The Republic. A community where no dictator or emperor will reign - but a community that is ruled by justice, equality, civility, and friendship.

If you have further concerns, do not hesitate to contact either myself or Audens. We are here to help you!

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:09 am

On the amendments proposed to LEX CURIATORUM: On assessing performance and rewarding a denarii stipend to outgoing elected magistrates., what does praetor Victor think about the recent suggestions made by Quaestor Camille? I believe that they are reasonable propositions.
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:30 am

One issue that I mentioned has been a little bit ommited by the discussion. The proposed lex against Caesar and Sulla is by its nature formally not a lex (law). It is an executive edict, since it refers to a particular case. Laws ought to be written in a way that they have universal application. For example in our case it would be something like:
"Nobody who has caused serious harm to a Roman reconstructionist organization shall be allowed as citizen of our Republic."
By mentioning the names of two individuals it has executive character and should therefore be issued as executive edict by a magistrate (consul, censor etc.). Even the Senate itself could issue an executive edict.
This is a formal problem that this proposed lex has independent from its content. Even if the separation of powers was not formally established as a principle in ancient Rome, the old res publica was aware of this distinction. When someone was declared "enemy of Rome" by the Senate, it was an edictum rather than a lex, if I am not mistaken.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:56 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:When someone was declared "enemy of Rome" by the Senate, it was an edictum rather than a lex, if I am not mistaken.

Salvete Lupus et Omnes

Our edicts in this Republic are lifted at the end of the Magistrate's term unless renewed by the next. I think that something more perminent is intended, such as if we did go with a general lex, a judgement of an attempt to join by these two or other infamati by a Magistrate based on the lex (and our yet to be created legal system) would be required. As stated before, an edict would hold us over until that system was in place and a judgement made.

There are two parts to this discussion:

First we do not want notoriously destructive people as citizens in RR nor in the Forum - this could be a lex.

Second we wish to publicly condemn Caesar et Sulla of NR for what they have done and are continuing to do to within NR and the wider Roman Restoration Community. Would an edict of the Senate or Curia out last any particular person?

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus

Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:08 pm

A Lex defined the Patrician status of individuals in iur Republic and another one also defined that Quadratus would be Augur. Another defined the Sacerdotes. Our Leges have been used to speak of individuals since the beginning of our Republic. And it is better that way because these decisions must be approved by popular vote in assemblies in most cases (when not made by the Comitia Curiata).
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

I was not aware that leges are handled differently than it is traditionally done. In this case you are right of course. A decision of this significance should not expire with the term of a magistrate.
Is there such a thing things as an edict of the Senate? This could be an alternative option and would not even require approval by the comitia.
...but giving it a second thought - an approval by the comitia is actually a good idea. Probably a lex is indeed the best option given our current constitution.
Di vobis ament!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:I was not aware that leges are handled differently than it is traditionally done. In this case you are right of course. A decision of this significance should not expire with the term of a magistrate.
Is there such a thing things as an edict of the Senate? This could be an alternative option and would not even require approval by the comitia.
...but giving it a second thought - an approval by the comitia is actually a good idea. Probably a lex is indeed the best option given our current constitution.
Di vobis ament!

The confusion is more then natural Lupe amice. And it is very important that you brought this subject to light so we had the opportunity to explain it properly. Thank you very much!
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo
Propraetor
Propraetor
Senator
Senator
Feroniae Sacerdos
Feroniae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister

Postby Publius Sextius Laevus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Gaius Aurelius Victor wrote:A Lex defined the Patrician status of individuals in iur Republic and another one also defined that Quadratus would be Augur. Another defined the Sacerdotes. Our Leges have been used to speak of individuals since the beginning of our Republic. And it is better that way because these decisions must be approved by popular vote in assemblies in most cases (when not made by the Comitia Curiata).

Salvete Omnes

From what I myself had seen of what Caesar and Sulla had done to NR at the beginning of this year (Jan - Mar 2016) and especially from the testimony of our Citizens in public and private, I have had no doubt that this condamnation and prohabition is both justified and required. My concerns with using a Lex to accomplish this condamnation of the two who have plagued the Roman World for far too long have now been allayed.

I support this LEX IUNIA: Declaring the individuals known as Cn. Iulius Caesar and L. Cornelius Sulla Felix at NovaRoma.org as in direct conflict with the fundamental and foundational values of the Res Publica Romana, and the greater Roman Restorationist community.

Valete
P. Sextius Laevus
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita'
'Fiat Lux! Fiat Vita!'
Publius Sextius Laevus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Greetings all,

In the news, Coins of the Emperor Constantine I have been unearthed in the site of an ancient Japanese castle in Okinawa:

http://world.greekreporter.com/2016/09/ ... -in-japan/

-Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum