Where is the Lustrum?

The social and political heart of the respublica community

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Marcus Flavius Celsus, Lucius Curtius Philo, Caeso Cispius Laevus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Titus Flavius Severus

Where is the Lustrum?

Postby Quintus Furius Camillus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 am

SALVETE!

Earlier this year the Comitia Curiatra passed this resolution;

LEX CURIATORUM: Petitioning the Gods and Goddess of Rome to be the patrons of the international community of Romans associated with the Roman Republic - Establishment of the Lustrum
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1768

Our census finished in August. The above resolution which was passed by the highest body responsible for the pax deorum within global Roman Restorationism, the Comitia Curiata, requested that the Lustrum occur within 40 days of the end of the Census.

The Lustrum is the responsibility of the Censors.

Censor Maior, are you frozen in the tundra of Sarmatia? Do we need to dispatch a rescue team?

Censor Minor, can you spare us a moment from your jet-setting and martinis to do your job?

VALETE!
Quintus Furius Camillus
Plebeian Tribune
Plebeian Tribune
Senator
Senator

Re: Where is the Lustrum?

Postby Publius Iunius Brutus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 am

Brutus Cen. Sal.

As I explained in private.

I was awaiting the construction of our altar for this ceremony. It seemed somewhat inappropriate, considering the nature of the Lustrum to perform it without such an altar dedicated on behalf of the community.

This said, if the citizens and CC feels strongly about proceeding, I will do so.

I await the guidance of the powers that be.
Publius Iunius Brutus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Martis et Minervae Sacerdos
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Lictor Curiatus Magister
Augur
Augur

Re: Where is the Lustrum?

Postby Titus Flavius Severus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Severus Cen. sal.

Dear Camillus, unlike you, I have no desire to go over to individuals, and even more so to make such "loud" statements, with which you once or twice note your appearance in the public spaces of our Roman Republic after periods of absence. To act in this way is inadmissible for me, in particular, because the office of magistrate I occupy, as well as the senatorial dignity, presuppose that the person has exemplary conduct, responsibility, and besides honoring the customs of ancestors and following the Roman Virtues.

Since I, by the grace of Gods and the will of the People, hold the position of Censor in our Blessed Republic, I will permit myself to mention in this expressive theme that there is such a thing as Roman Virtues, unfortunately, as the events of the last few months show, not all citizens it follows that that society can disturb.

So, in this topic, without addressing anyone specifically, I would like to recall such an important Roman Virtue of in our time, as Comitas, which means ease of manner, courtesy, openness, and friendliness. Vague statements, empty in nature, expressed in an offensive manner, are in conflict with this Roman virtue. But there is another, forgotten by some, Roman virtue - Honestas, which means the image that one presents as a respectable member of society. This virtue is especially important for those who hold public posts in society, such as the positions of magistrates and senators. Why did I remember exactly this Roman virtue? The fact is that honoring the customs of ancestors and following the Roman virtues strengthens the welfare of society, while the reverse only breeds discord. Censorship was highly respected and honored by our ancestors, greater than any other magistracy. Even if it happened that it was occupied by the not most eminent person, this did not change the respect that this post enjoyed by citizens. Are the customs of our ancestors now observed, are their traditions respected, do the virtues of Rome follow in our Republic? Yes but not all. Why? Yes, that's why, for an example it is not necessary to look for a long time:

Quintus Furius Camillus wrote:Censor Maior, are you frozen in the tundra of Sarmatia? Do we need to dispatch a rescue team?

Does such a treatment lie in line with the customs and traditions of ancestors, does it express the following to the Roman virtues? Let everyone decide for themselves, and concluding, let everyone take into account that the lex, the reference to which is given in the same message, clearly states that:

LEX CURIATORUM: Petitioning the Gods and Goddess of Rome to be the patrons of the international community of Romans associated with the Roman Republic - Establishment of the Lustrum wrote:I. The Comitia Curiata assumes ultimate responsibility for conducting ceremony called the Lustrum every five years. The Censores or another delegate of the Comitia Curiata are to conduct the ceremony under the assistance of the Collegium Pontificum.

Since this is obviously the first point of the Lex, it is impossible to pass the Lex by this point. What does it mean? It means that, in the absence of the Collegium Pontificum, Censorship can not initiate Lustrum. It is obvious, however, dear citizens, this did not prevent us from emerging in the discussion here this phrase:

Quintus Furius Camillus wrote:The Lustrum is the responsibility of the Censors.

Intentionally, this erroneous phrase is thrown and why it is used, let everyone decide for himself.

It is clear only that some of the citizens are unintentionally sowing excitement themselves not fully understanding what is happening, thereby going against the customs of their ancestors and the Roman virtues, as a result of which, even good intentions bring negative results, by mistake undermining the people's trust in the their Elects. I, like Censor bitterly see this. I am indifferent to attacking me as a private person, but when unjustified attacks and disrespectful attitude towards such a respected magistracy as a whole, I can not help but worry. After all, this, a public disrespectful attitude to the customs of ancestors, Roman virtues, and could serve as the reason that, as some say, the Republic has not achieved outstanding success, and not because of the actions or inaction of higher forces, as we are trying to convince.

It seems to me that the conclusions for everyone are obvious.

In conclusion, I would like to say that my colleague Brutus is a man of great virtue and he is not in the same person as the Comitia Curiata, therefore such attacks in his direction are not permissible, especially given the situation with changes in the composition of this collegial body. As we see, Brutus, being an outstanding citizen of the Republic, intended not only to fulfill what was prescribed by the lex, but to do it even more worthy ... is it worthy of blame for the fact that the term prescribed by the lex is missed? Of course not, let this ritual be meaningful and solemn as much as possible, giving divine prosperity to the people and the Republic.

P.S. Just by the way. I do not remember that someone fanned such a hype when taxes were not collected in 2016, as required by the legislation of the Republic, and the first tax collection took place in 2017.

P.P.S. Camillus, my patience is great, like the boundless expanses of the Sarmatia Magna, but it has limits, in view of which, I warn that if your behavior and actions are again unsuitable, I will have to act according to another Roman virtue - Pietas, and take appropriate measures of censorship response.

Valete bene,
T. Fl. Severus
Quae medicamenta non sanat, ferrum sanat; quae ferrum non sanat, ignis sanat. Quae vero ignis non sanat, insanabilia reputari oportet...
Titus Flavius Severus
Censor
Censor
Senator
Senator
Sarmatia Magna
Sarmatia Magna
Cultus Mithrae
Cultus Mithrae
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus

Return to Main Forum