Classic style Minerva

A collegium established as a community of artists and for those who love art - a place where members are free to exhibit their work and provide a space for artistic discussions. http://ecassialonginus.wix.com/collegiumartium | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... 0Artium/43

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa, Lucia Galeria Mira

Classic style Minerva

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Salvete!

Even when I prefer other style, I recently tried to emulate classical style using water colours and black ink for an Athene/Minerva for a friend. It was new for me, as I normally use digital painting, so wanted to share it here.

Maybe in a future will try a better version but for now, here it.

Valete,

N.Octavia Saturnina
Octavia Aurelia Fulva
Bonae Deae / Triviae Sacerdos

Re: Classic style Minerva

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 pm

This is gorgeous! If you have other similar artwork please post! Loved it
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Numerius Antonius Paullus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Minerva speaks to me on a deep level. This peice of work is amazing!
Numerius Antonius Paullus

Postby Publius Sallustius Quadratus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 am

Beautiful work! I love it! I hope you make more!
P. Sallustius Quadratus
Publius Sallustius Quadratus
Governor of Mississippia Borealis
Governor of Mississippia Borealis

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Wow, amazing! I like the classical style that you used. This is how it is supposed to be!

Is there a particular reason for the Vergina Sun on the aegis of Minerva instead of the traditional Medusa head?
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 am

Salvete!

First of all, please allow me to thank you all for your kind words , I was a bir unsure id would be "fitting" but you just gave me the courage to try more! I just arrived today to Rome and I plan go tomorrow to a photo hunting and take my drawing tools for the visit of the Vestals house (it sounds a bit too stupid, but who knows? Inspiration is everywhere!

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Is there a particular reason for the Vergina Sun on the aegis of Minerva instead of the traditional Medusa head?

The reason is, my friend follows the helenism/greek polytheism and the Vergina sun had been found in so many images... checking some references I found this post http://hellenicperiod.blogspot.it/2011/02/sun-of-vergina-sun-of-greeks.html
There are two images of the Goddess Athene from 4th century that got the sun in her shield. I found it very meaninful, at least my grandfather used to say "to be a kind person, the knowledge has to be your guiding light and your solid shield"

Mostly, that's why. :)

I'm also open to suggestions, just I would to keep the classic style; there are amazing versions of the Roman and Greek classic Gods created with artistic skills and technics but, forgive me to say, they look unreal to me, to the point that are closer to videogame characters (as they already are!) that something that could bring back any references of the time they are coming from.

And again, one thousand thanks for your kindness!

Valete!

N. Octavia Saturnina.
Octavia Aurelia Fulva

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:56 am

There are two Gods that I would be very interested to see your take on: Volcanus and Venus. If you ever make one of those two Id be very happy! ^^
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Octavia Aurelia Fulva » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Gaius Aurelius Victor wrote:There are two Gods that I would be very interested to see your take on: Volcanus and Venus. If you ever make one of those two Id be very happy! ^^

I will return to Spain this "Saturnday" and will begin to work on it! If the result pleases you I will mail you the original :)
Octavia Aurelia Fulva

Postby Lucius Metilius Niger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Magnifique !
Lucius Metilius Niger

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Numeria Octavia Saturnina wrote:
Gaius Aurelius Victor wrote:There are two Gods that I would be very interested to see your take on: Volcanus and Venus. If you ever make one of those two Id be very happy! ^^

I will return to Spain this "Saturnday" and will begin to work on it! If the result pleases you I will mail you the original :)

Wow! Thank you very much! :D
Gaius Curtius Philo

Next

Return to Collegium Artium