Law Students, Lawyers, and Judges

This collegium provides research and discussions for those interested in the evolution, development, and practice of Roman law. It examines the development of Roman law from the Twelve Tables to the Justinian Code and beyond. | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... anae%20/48

Moderators: Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Law Students, Lawyers, and Judges

Postby Appius Fabius Helenus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 am

Are any of you Romans also a law student, attorney, or judge in a jurisdiction aside from Res Publica Romana?

I'm a law student in the U.S., so the very first thing I did upon being approved is start reading the law code.
Ap. Fabius Helenus
Appius Fabius Helenus

Re: Law Students, Lawyers, and Judges

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:43 am

Curio Heleno Sal.

Glad to have you with us, Helenus! I am merely an accounting student, but have an interest in law myself. I look forward to your input and any law based articles you can provide to educate all of us. :)

Vale!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Welcome! Have you considered a political career? You interest in law could be very useful in helping determine the rules which will govern our republic.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Marcus Cestius Pullus » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

I am not a law student, but I teach Political Theory, Government and Constitutional Law at the local University. I do cover Roman theory in the classroom. Currently I am trying to create an online class on Roman politics for the Republic based on my lectures.
Marcus Cestius Pullus

Postby Quadratus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:02 am

Salve, Helene!

I am a (mostly) retired lawyer. My specialty is U.S. Immigration Law. I've been based in Montreal for the past 25 years.

Vale!
Quadratus
Quadratus
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia
Governor of Nova Gallia Pronvincia

Postby Appius Fabius Helenus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:03 am

Caeso Cispius Laevus wrote:Welcome! Have you considered a political career? You interest in law could be very useful in helping determine the rules which will govern our republic.

Salve Laeve!

Yes, but I didn't want to just jump in right away and be off-putting to established statespeople. I'm actually making my way through the Lex Iunia regarding civil procedure. Although please do let me know when the Comitia Centuriata session is, as I may have some clean up on a few Leges.

Vale!
Ap. Fabius Helenus
Appius Fabius Helenus

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Salvete!
Although I am not a lawyer, I have a lot of experience with law, well, I should say, I am an avid student of Roman ("civil") law (5+ years)!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Salvete!
Although I am not a lawyer, I have a lot of experience with law, well, I should say, I am an avid student of Roman ("civil") law (5+ years)! I would love your input on our discussions!! (:
I'll be back in Rome soon, so expect many topics!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Appius Fabius Helenus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Gaia Cassia Longina wrote:Salvete!
Although I am not a lawyer, I have a lot of experience with law, well, I should say, I am an avid student of Roman ("civil") law (5+ years)! I would love your input on our discussions!! (:
I'll be back in Rome soon, so expect many topics!

Thanks. I'll trying not to be too cavalier abut inserting Anglo-American Common Law into Roman Civil Law. I can't guarantee that I'll be successful, but I'll try.
Ap. Fabius Helenus
Appius Fabius Helenus

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Appius Fabius Helenus wrote:
Thanks. I'll trying not to be too cavalier abut inserting Anglo-American Common Law into Roman Civil Law. I can't guarantee that I'll be successful, but I'll try.

On the contrary! I encourage you to - it would be interesting to see the differences and similarities!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Next

Return to Collegium Legis Romanae