Recurve Bow

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Recurve Bow

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:11 am

Salvete All;

The other day I had an appointment in the Masonic Medical Care Unit in Wallingford, CT. After the appointment, my wife and I had the time, so we visited an Archery Shop and Archery Range there. The Roman Days Event, a couple of weeks ago, aroused my desire to target shoot with my bow again. Our intention was merely to look around the shop for a few things that I needed, but we arrived a bit early, and we got to meet both the owner of the shop as well as his young son, who worked there. We sat in on another couple's training session and following that, I spent a full afternoon in the archery range shooting at targets, Very satisfying! We have ordered a new recurve bow, and when we return to Wallingford in the early part of July, I will collect the new bow, and I will also take my other three older bows to have them restrung and do some other minor work on them as well.

Today I did some work on my old recurve bow. I had filled in the cavity in the bow in order to make it look more like a bow used by the Cretean Archers who were often brought into the legion's ranks as Auxlia, and who provided heavy covering fire for a ground attack or a defense screen for legions withdrawing for whatever reason. So, I restored the small shelf on the bow where the arrow rests, but still was able to maintain a little over half the wooden filler for the remainder of the filled cavity. I gave it a good coat of clear lacquer and in coming days will add a few more coats to get the bow back in shape.

I have also made my own quiver for the arrows and designed and sewed up a special sleeve guard for use with the new bow. Since most archers carried a long knife or short sword, I have on hand an old broken sword blade. So I have taken the pointed part of the blade and cleaned it up well and mounted it in a deer antler handle and capped the hole with a German silver cap piece. Then I made a scabbard for the knife from wood, and added a leather loop for my Roman belt. Since some of the archers use an armor of sorts, I am planning to look for enough leather to make a vest and a short leathern skirt as a 'leather armor' under my robe. I also plan to design and sew up a pair greaves for my legs out of heavy canvas and leather facing.

The rig probably won't help much if somebody shoots at me, but then such is not expected at a reenactment! (Grin!).

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium