[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Tribunus Major After Action Report

Tribunus Major After Action Report

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Tribunus Major After Action Report

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:40 pm

>>>> Tribunus Major Militaria (Engineer) AAR <<<<

Summoned to the Battlefield of Millis, Massachusetts in the Provincia of Nova Britannia by the Legate of the XXIVth Legion, my staff and I packed the two wheeled cart for transport to the nearest seaport and small Roman fortress at Groton, Connecticut. From there, we boarded a trireme and made very good time North up the Atlantic Seaboard to the much larger port and Roman Fort of Boston. Some hours later, with a good wind and a crew of energetic rowers, we pulled into the large port.

There, my staff and I acquired horses and moved on toward the Millis Battlefield at Oak Grove Farm, leaving precise instructions for the cart to follow. My staff and I stopped in Medway, a small village on the way to Millis, to make arrangements for food and lodging. Then we went on toward the battlefield and on the way caught up with our cart. We entered Oak Grove Farm and saw much of the legion camped on the grounds below the large farmhouse. The Engineer camp was already set-up and the Tribunus Abiatore (Asst. Tribunus) and the remainder of the staff were waiting for us, so we unpacked our cart and made arrangement for the driver and cart to be parked and camped, to await our return. We then immediately moved in, and we began our review of the maps, so far drawn up by the Tribunus Abiatore.

He showed me his map of the Oak Grove Farm which he had drawn up as well as the map of the battlefield, and some other maps that he had finished. I, in my turn, had drawn the map of the Oak Grove Farm as well, and a map of the North River and the fortress of West Point, New York, to explain the production of a sketch map in the field to spectators.

The Tribunus Abitore and I discussed a new certificate that I had designed for an enlisted membership, and what the new man would be assigned to do in the unit. The certificate was then signed by the officers and the next morning (Sunday) the certificate was presented to the new member of the Engineers. He was formally brought into the unit and assigned as an Asst. to the Tribunus Abitore for field reconnassience and field fortifications. We also spent some time in discussion about the various maps being displayed, their composition and materials for drawing these very necessary plans for the coming battle. The Tribunus Abitore, on Sunday as the event was winding down, asked me to consider making a certificate for the advancement of the new man to the next position of an engineer worker for the legion to be relieved of all field duties of his century legionaries. I will make the certificate as he has requested.

Upon the completion of our initial discussion, my staff and I left the camp for our lodging and a nice supper.

We arrived back at the camp on Saturday morning and just caught the Tribunus Abitore as he left the camp to walk the battlefield with the Centurion in command of the Legion detachment. This walk was to familiarize each man with the battlefield and the maps to make any corrections that might be needed, as well to go over the proposed battle plan. When the Tribunus Abitore returned, we sat down and had a brief meeting, and it was at this time that the orders for the day were revealed to all. With that information, we then took up our various activities until the battle was called about 1:00 or 2:00 PM. We greeted the spectators who walked by and had indicated an interest in the instrumentation, maps, models, and other materials involved with engineering activities and what could be expected on the battlefield, that were on display.

Some time later, the ProConsul commanding all the area legions came by and we had a long discussion in regard to my responsibilities and what he needed from me as his Chief of Staff. He needs more information about the creation of his Military Staff and the ideas that have been put forward by others. I assured him that I will be most pleased to do all the research and send him my results as soon as possible. I already have a large library of such materials, and I am sure that much of this will be of interest to the ProConsul.

W spent the remainder of the morning and early afternoon explaining to the spectators the construction and information needed to position, lay down, and complete a pontoon bridge and portable catapults from the models that were placed for their viewing and enjoyment.

The Tribunus Abitore and his Asst. were engaged in searching out the north pathway from the Roman Camp to the battlefield, and drew up a drawing of the small foot-bridge that could be found just north of the camp which lead to the north pathway. I, in my turn, drew up a quick sketch drawing to make it clear to the spectators what information was necessary to be put on a sketch map in order to place a pontoon bridge in the right place, at the right time.

The Saturday battle went off as scheduled with the Tribunus Abitore and his Asst, attending the battle while I stayed in camp and worked on this AAR and some rough sketches of the model of a portable catapult that had been built and placed on display by the Tribunus Abitore. The drums of the returning centuries from the battlefield was most uplifting as it always is.

The various maps produced by the the combined staff were:

>> Map of West Point and the North River;

>> Map of Oak Grove Farm;

>> Map of the Oak Grove Farm Battlefield;

>> Map of the Battlefields of Harpers Ferry and Sharpsburg;

>> Two-map set of the Battle of Cool Spring;

>> Sketch of the small foot-bridge beginning the north foot-path;

>> Sketch of the elements of a ford or bridge at a potential river crossing.

Tribunus Abitore Webster and I discussed the value of the new device that he had purchased which provides a false horizon anywhere. This is used where a true horizon is not available and celestial navigation is being used. I determined that one might duplicate the instrument in wood and plastic windows, as a model to be used as a display item, so I was pleased to make a sketch drawing of the False Horizon for that purpose.

The report of the skirmish in the battlefield was that the battle went well, and the field fortifications erected by the engineers were effective. The engineers by order of the Consul were not allowed on the battlefield during any skirmish as they are too valuable to be killed.

On Sunday morning we witnessed a man being marched through camp with a guard and a drummer. Apparently, he was a thief and was being taken to his punishment. He was bound at the hands and wore a sign around his neck that said “Thief.”

The Tribunus Abitore returned from the morning officer’s call and we gathered for a meeting while he listed the information recieved at “Officer’s Call.” Following the meeting he undertook to find and map out the Southern Trail around the farm to the battlefield. This trail is seldom used and was difficult to find and map. When he had finished with the field reconn, he went to the Roman Commander with the new sketch drawing and made a suggestion to the commander about using the trail in the afternoon skirmish.

Just prior to the battle a group of women protesting the partaking of wine and other materials which seem to confuse their users shouting and talking wildly while carrying a large banner. It was very disrupting to the quiet of the camp, and I wonder at the Centurion, that he did not stop such immediately. It seems that women are getting more and more out of hand as the years pass by!

Prior to the battle the centuries gathered under their commanders and there was some exercise with weapons before the troops massed up, and marched from camp with the drums pounding out the beat, and followed by the bright flags of the hospital workers and field doctors.

The Tribunus Abitore and his Asst. both agreed to assist a Catapult Commander in the afternoon skirmish, and when the skirmish was over it was time to break camp. My staff and I packed the cart and sent it on its way. Then my staff and I mounted our horses and rode to an Inn where some very good dinners were served. We made reservations for a Victory Dinner there, and when the remainder of the staff arrived, we had a great dinner toasting the Sunday Victory on the Battlefield, the Legion, the Engineers, and Father’s Day. After dinner we had a short meeting and then made our way home.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens, Tribunus Major Militaria,
Marcus Minucius Audens

Re: Tribunus Major After Action Report

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:17 am

Audens, That is so awesome!
L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS
lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT com

Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:54 am

Fascinating! That sounds like a very good time! Thank you for sharing!
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Salvete Master's Horatius and Triarius;

My thanks for your kind words. We did have a very good time and the unit commander was very satisfied, and has just yesterday, sent a long letter of appreciation to all who were in attendance. I shall continue to Romanize my AAR's from these activities throughout the reenactment season. Thank you again for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed the report.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium